ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery relocation help

Clio 220 PH2
Hi all,

Just starting to look into new light weight batteries for my car
First question is which battery do people recommend ?
Second- is it best to have a cut off switch installed?
And lastly where do people recommend putting them in the car ?

Many thanks
Ben

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I run a powervamp clubsport with a manual Fia cut off switch, seems a decent battery to be fair and as long as the switch is left disconnected the battery stays charged, even in the cold weather we've recently had. I only use my clio on track so I only tend to start it up once a week and it's never let me down yet.

Relocated behind passenger seat with cut off switch on a dash pod, I've used a long acre bulkhead pass through terminal post to get power to the engine bay, and run a 150 mega fuse next to battery

Can get you some photos tomorrow afternoon if it helps

Ads

Clio 220 PH2
I run a powervamp clubsport with a manual Fia cut off switch, seems a decent battery to be fair and as long as the switch is left disconnected the battery stays charged, even in the cold weather we've recently had. I only use my clio on track so I only tend to start it up once a week and it's never let me down yet.

Relocated behind passenger seat with cut off switch on a dash pod, I've used a long acre bulkhead pass through terminal post to get power to the engine bay, and run a 150 mega fuse next to battery

Can get you some photos tomorrow afternoon if it helps

Ads
Thank you very much mate I appreciate that I have been looking at the odyssey batteries but very much open to suggestions
I was thinking running it behind the seat where do you earth the battery do you run it back to the original terminal or straight to the body behind the seat ? (Never relocated a battery before lol)
That would be great if you could send me some pictures :)
Many thanks
Ben

Clio 172 Merc ML55
99% certain I've used what was originally the bolt hole for passenger seat belt, where the spiral bar bolted into the base of the B pillar.

Its the first time I've done it so there's probably easier ways to do things but mine works perfectly well, does need some tidying up but that'll be done once I've finished the dash properly and put in a new dash pod for good measure (angled cm composite one)

I'd highly recommend a heavy duty crimp tool for attaching terminals, I beefed mine up by soldering after crimping too, something like this should do the trick (ebay) 221359888835

182 trackcar, XC60t6
Is it a competition car with all the FIA rules etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clio 220 PH2
99% certain I've used what was originally the bolt hole for passenger seat belt, where the spiral bar bolted into the base of the B pillar.

Its the first time I've done it so there's probably easier ways to do things but mine works perfectly well, does need some tidying up but that'll be done once I've finished the dash properly and put in a new dash pod for good measure (angled cm composite one)

I'd highly recommend a heavy duty crimp tool for attaching terminals, I beefed mine up by soldering after crimping too, something like this should do the trick (ebay) 221359888835
Ok mate nice one I thought I would double check that before blowing my car up from putting the earth in the wrong place haha but I know where you mean seems a good place to put it :)

Well if it works then that's all that matters :) I just need to work out the best way of doing it because mine still runs the locks on the car but whether I just kill the power to the car and don't leave anything in it lol
I might treat myself to one of them pods as well they look smart :)

Cheers mate thank you I will look into these :)

Odyssey behind the passenger seat with mega fuse :smile: Until Sunday I'd not started the Clio since it's last track day in November, 1st turn it fired, great batteries!
69179ED9-844C-4968-B324-D45A9B22E98F_zpskxifwe9q.jpg

Clio 220 PH2
Odyssey behind the passenger seat with mega fuse :smile: Until Sunday I'd not started the Clio since it's last track day in November, 1st turn it fired, great batteries!
69179ED9-844C-4968-B324-D45A9B22E98F_zpskxifwe9q.jpg
Looks spot on that does mate what model is the battery as they do a few don't they ?
Quick question do you still run the door locks on your car (off the key) ? And do you run a kill switch ?
Looks smart mate

Looks spot on that does mate what model is the battery as they do a few don't they ?
Quick question do you still run the door locks on your car (off the key) ? And do you run a kill switch ?
Looks smart mate

Yes Ben, still run the alarm and central locking :smile:
I used a longacre pass through to get the battery cable through the bulkhead behind the dash clocks and have a kill switch on the scuttle panel.
Odyssey is a PC680, I was worried it wouldn't be up to the job but it's superb :up:

Longacre
38620810-A6C5-4E30-8FC5-978A3C204A8D_zpsdpizdvtc.jpg

Earth point
C279EA4B-65E4-44A8-97A4-A8FB1B016A0F_zps29nieusk.jpg

Kill switch, as much for security as safety, remove the key and stash it somewhere away from the car :)
2f1dad601834b8d16a48ef26c192d502_zpswttcyeb2.jpg

Battery connection to original +ve cable on the passenger strut tower
AE6CA9DA-C366-4C13-9D58-FC0A7BA179CC_zps0hwytxe5.jpg

Last edited:
  Clio 220 PH2
I used a longacre pass through to get the battery cable through the bulkhead behind the dash clocks and have a kill switch on the scuttle panel.
Odyssey is a PC680, I was worried it wouldn't be up to the job but it's superb :up:

Longacre

Earth point

Kill switch, as much for security as safety, remove the key and stash it somewhere away from the car :smile:

Good man I like this set up I might nick your idea if that's ok :)
Where did you get the black box that the positive runs through just out of curiosity ?
I like how you have the kill switch on the outside I think this is how I am going to do it
The longacre point picture is that the back of the kill switch ?
I appreciate the help mate thank you

Good man I like this set up I might nick your idea if that's ok :smile:
Where did you get the black box that the positive runs through just out of curiosity ?
I like how you have the kill switch on the outside I think this is how I am going to do it
The longacre point picture is that the back of the kill switch ?
I appreciate the help mate thank you

That pic is the back of the longacre from the drivers seat, cable from battery, through a 175a mega fuse to the longacre, other side of longacre to kill switch in scuttle area and kill switch down to the connector at the original battery cable.
The connector came from eBay.....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181364923843

dan's cast offs.
if you're sticking a passengers foot rest in i normally put them on the top of that, keeps them out of the way and saves the weight of the extra cable :wink:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Can I ask. With relocating to the boot and having the filter out the tb do we notice much gains?

Only ask as the flamer had that setup and went well etc

Clio 220 PH2
That pic is the back of the longacre from the drivers seat, cable from battery, through a 175a mega fuse to the longacre, other side of longacre to kill switch in scuttle area and kill switch down to the connector at the original battery cable.
The connector came from eBay.....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181364923843
Cheers mate thank you very much I understand where that is now I am going to get that ordered tonight and start building my collection of bits so I am ready to go
Makes the engine bay look so much cleaner without the battery there
Thanks again mate

dan's cast offs.
Can I ask. With relocating to the boot and having the filter out the tb do we notice much gains?

Only ask as the flamer had that setup and went well etc

'had' i stuck it back under the bonnet, only advantage to sticking it in the boot is to add more weight to the car and end up with starting/charging issues. notice how it would loose average mileage/trip distance from time to time.

Amg A class, M3 CSL
Stayed in the front scuttle with lighter battery

Attachments

• IMG_7944.JPG
    IMG_7944.JPG
    266.1 KB · Views: 252
  Clio 182
Stayed in the front scuttle with lighter battery

Is that a lithium ion battery? Saw those at autosport show, looked smart and a fair bit lighter again aren't they!!?
Do they charge the same as a normal lead acid battery with standard alternator etc?
What size is that one?

Amg A class, M3 CSL
Yes it's lithium, cars still getting built but had one on my last car and it worked well. Very light, just keep it on charge with a correct charger. I've forgotten the part number and I'm away at the moment. It's about 580 crank and 13/14 amp running

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member

Longacre

Earth point

Kill switch, as much for security as safety, remove the key and stash it somewhere away from the car :smile:

The junction box in the engine bay, it has anther red cable (that looks new) going to under the fuse box plastic tray - Is that going to the orginal clio loom for the battery? The reason I ask is because it looks brand new and in my head I would have assumed it be dirty from the existing clio loom?

The junction box in the engine bay, it has anther red cable (that looks new) going to under the fuse box plastic tray - Is that going to the orginal clio loom for the battery? The reason I ask is because it looks brand new and in my head I would have assumed it be dirty from the existing clio loom?

No, that's going to the kill switch, then to the relocated battery :smile: the one going under the intake is the original battery cable