ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bash's Hillclimb car

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Remove A B and C pillar plastics, then remove grab handles and rear middle seat belt bracket (in roof), then gently ease it down, it held to the roof skin with a few blobs of silicone.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
I made my own resonated decat the other day, it's made up of a Mazda rx8 silencer and an old decat pipe,
the rear of the cat/decat now sleeves over there centre section of the exhaust rather into it, this has increased the outlet of the cat/decat from 51mm up to 58mm removing the restriction of the standard cat it also is not any louder than with the cat fitted but looks nice and legal for MOT time.
and also its 1kg lighter than the cat.
IMG_0437.JPG
IMG_0438.JPG

Also my bargain koni's turned up
IMG_0441.JPG

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Thought I'd upload these pictures in here for Mr bashracing!

Here's the gripper pinion along with new 3rd, 4th and reverse gears.
image.jpeg
This one shows the size of the new gripper diff and crownwheel. This required modification of the gearbox casing to get it to fit! Lol!
image.jpeg
Then we had a small disaster along the way......... The new gripper mainshaft wouldn't shim up correctly to give the right amount of preload even on the thinnest shim! Que a trip to gripper for a chat. I've worked closely with the guys at gripper to rectify the situation, so we now have a solution and the mainshaft can be shimmed up. I can't fault the product or the backup that they've given me tbh. Awesome set of guys, and safe to say, no more issues for any other gripper mainshafts in the future. You can thank me later! Lol!
image.jpeg
And this brings us up to where we are now currently. The box is built up and the shafts, diff and selector rods are all fitted. Got to make a call to Renault tomorrow to get a gear shift shaft selector seal, as oddly they haven't sent it! There's some other bits in the bag of parts that are a bit random, so it looks like we've got our wires crossed when the initial order was made.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Enjoy!

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
@NorthloopCup
Awesome work Mark,
If Anyone is looking for a box builder I can't recommend you highly enough, absolutely faultless.
the gearing on this is going to be mental, I'm back in the country Wednesday afternoon so I'll get over at some point later this week if you get a seal

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
@NorthloopCup
Awesome work Mark,
If Anyone is looking for a box builder I can't recommend you highly enough, absolutely faultless.
the gearing on this is going to be mental, I'm back in the country Wednesday afternoon so I'll get over at some point later this week if you get a seal
Cheers mate! Well we have options on the seal tbh. If Renault don't have one I can get one sorted out off eBay. Same as the Renault item as well.
Sound mate. I'm aiming for it to be done for the weekend or sooner, so I'll keep you posted. :up:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Here's another one for you @bashracing! Seal arrived yesterday and was fitted this morning.

Look on the lower left hand side of the casing and you can see where I've had to relieve it to allow the new crownwheel to turn!
What you can't see is something that's quite dramatic - a potential perma fix for the leaky selector shaft issue. You sir, will be the first person to hopefully not have one that leaks like a sieve! :wink:

image.jpeg

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
I have order some redline mt90 at the price of that stuff a leak free box will save me a few quid,
back home now matey.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I have order some redline mt90 at the price of that stuff a leak free box will save me a few quid,
back home now matey.
Do you mean mtl? Yeah it's not cheap! Lol! Ok buddy. I'll be aiming for it to be back together and ready to collect this weekend. Will confirm tomorrow though, as that's when I'll be firing the lid back on it.

Good holiday?

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
yeah awesome and fricking hot,
ate a 3 lb basket of chicken last night a bubba gumps at cancun airport, that was my high point but has blocked me up solid! lol

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Seen as the box is about ready at @NorthloopCup I needed to get my finger out,
So busy day today,
dropped the missus off at Leeds Station first thing (6:30)
then 4 Weetabix in preparation for the rest of the days plans,
By 10:30 it looked like this
IMG_0462.JPG

Cup of tea and by 12:00 looked like this
IMG_0463.JPG

Followed by a new timing belt, dephaser and water pump
IMG_0465.JPG

IMG_0467.JPG

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Timing belt was due in February Anyway so I thought I'd pull the lot out rather than doing the box on my back and struggle for space with the belt.
Freds exhaust timing was 4 degrees possibly a bit stretch in the belt but it's absolutely bang on now.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Timing belt was due in February Anyway so I thought I'd pull the lot out rather than doing the box on my back and struggle for space with the belt.
Freds exhaust timing was 4 degrees possibly a bit stretch in the belt but it's absolutely bang on now.
What was the tensioner like? If the exhaust was 4 degrees out that's not belt stretch mate. No way.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
not massively slack, it's not some carlos fandango timing that makes it go better is it?
iirc group n timing is only on the inlet and isn't 4 degrees, i checked it 5 times with a timing disc and was bang on 4 degrees advanced.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
not massively slack, it's not some carlos fandango timing that makes it go better is it?
iirc group n timing is only on the inlet and isn't 4 degrees, i checked it 5 times with a timing disc and was bang on 4 degrees advanced.
Semi group n is the inlet cam only. Full group n is inlet advanced and exhaust retarded.

So was it the inlet or the exhaust that was out? I'll show you the Grp n cam timing tool tomorrow when you collect the box.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Bit of progress tonight,
Fitted the New lightweight Flywheel with new bolts,
New Valeo clutch and mated the gripper box up ready to drop back in.:up:
I'm just waiting for the new injectors coming now.
IMG_0472.JPG
IMG_0473.JPG
IMG_0474.JPG

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
First off a MASSIVE thank you @NorthloopCup for sorting out my gearbox, the amount of effort Mark has put into my gearbox has been immense,
if your average box builder had built this box the reliability of the internals would have been greatly reduced, it's down to Marks keen eye and OCD nature that has stopped me having lots of future issues, Cheers.

It's all back together and I took it for a hoon, It's absolutely frickin mental through the gears,
once I knew there were no engine faults caused by me removing or re installing I could replace the injectors and Lambda followed by resetting the adaption values with the diagnostic computer so it learns all its new parameters with the new fuel parts fitted, the reason I have replaced them is I plan to have a custom map and want solid signals to and from the ecu to make the best of it.
IMG_0480.jpg

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
First off a MASSIVE thank you @NorthloopCup for sorting out my gearbox, the amount of effort Mark has put into my gearbox has been immense,
if your average box builder had built this box the reliability of the internals would have been greatly reduced, it's down to Marks keen eye and OCD nature that has stopped me having lots of future issues, Cheers.

It's all back together and I took it for a hoon, It's absolutely frickin mental through the gears,
once I knew there were no engine faults caused by me removing or re installing I could replace the injectors and Lambda followed by resetting the adaption values with the diagnostic computer so it learns all its new parameters with the new fuel parts fitted, the reason I have replaced them is I plan to have a custom map and want solid signals to and from the ecu to make the best of it.
View attachment 141610
Thanks for the kind words mate! Very much appreciated.
I can't bodge stuff - if it's not right it's just not right. Good job I'm not your average box builder eh! Lol!

How's the selector shaft seal holding out?

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Yes, because I Have a private road available to me.:wink:
I have a buzzer wired up to an omex shift light, it's never seen so much action,
with the flywheel as well, it's like a bike going through the gears.
here is the graph of speed vs revs,
first column 1st gear, second column 2nd gear etc
IMG_0421.jpg

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Dropped a right bollok,
after 2 hours of waiting for BMW assist I got bored so with nothing more than BMWs supplied flat blade screwdriver and a top notch swearing phrasebook I got it running after removing the air filter, air box & intercooler pipework
thank fcuk for that! all seems fine but I'll fully check it over tomorrow.
IMG_0533.jpg

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I went down there for a hoon yesterday whilst the roads were clear and noped the f**k when I saw that big puddle and turned back around! Glad I did now.

Were you going for a spirited drive too?

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
That was over near Malton Dan,
no, only going really steady but BMW in their wisdom have put the intake in the front grill,

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Harewood championship,
aiming for top 10 overall this year using it as a development season and have a good crack at winning it next season.