ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Banging on rear of car

Hi guys,
Got a problem that started yesterday on my cup, when i go over a speed bump theres a banging at the rear of my car, it sounds like its the suspension or shocks, ive checked under the car, the exhaust is fine no bangs or rattles, springs look fine and ive done the push down test quite hard and theres no bangs there, so im quite confused :S any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

clio trophy No56
Had this happen on my old 182, one back shock was totally gone and the other was on its way out. I tried the push test on mine and thought it was fine but when Reno got it up on the ramp they found a leak straight away that you couldnt see with the car on the floor. Dont think they cost that much, something like £40 each.
If its deffo coming from the rear they it cant be much else other than the suspension or exhaust.

Had this happen on my old 182, one back shock was totally gone and the other was on its way out. I tried the push test on mine and thought it was fine but when Reno got it up on the ramp they found a leak straight away that you couldnt see with the car on the floor. Dont think they cost that much, something like £40 each.
If its deffo coming from the rear they it cant be much else other than the suspension or exhaust.

Looks like its the shock then, i gave the exhaust a good shake and that had no rattles or bangs, ill have a look if there leaking, i thought it was nothing after the push test but obviously there is something wrong lol

Yes mine does it lol (parcel shelf)! I have a knocking from the back of mine! Only when I hit bad bumps. I have checked everything like you have.

Check your rear tyre pressures. Mine were both down to around 10 psi :eek: This cure its about 95%
I recently put a rear strut brace on. Strangly this seems to have stopped the knocking completly...

Well just been out in the car, took the parcel shelf out but the banging is still there, it does seem to be getting wprse, gonna check the tyre pressures tomorrow and also see if the shocks are leaking, bloody car has only done 29k aswell, parts just seem to be failing all in one go, joys of owning a clio

clio trophy No56
Well just been out in the car, took the parcel shelf out but the banging is still there, it does seem to be getting wprse, gonna check the tyre pressures tomorrow and also see if the shocks are leaking, bloody car has only done 29k aswell, parts just seem to be failing all in one go, joys of owning a clio

That genarally happens on RS clios, lol. But on the plus side once you have spent the cash fixing everything your sorted...... at least for a while anyway.

Arctic blue 182 (05)
Before commiting to it being shocks.
Try folding the rear seats down, as they can 'knock ' on their latches
sometimes. Worth a look before you throw money at the problem.

Well checked the car out today, had a look underneath and the rear shock on the drivers side is covered in oil, passenger side is fine completely dry, gonna order 2 new shocks, the cup is gonna have some work done in next few weeks, shocks, eibachi pro springs, oil change, and matched inlets, thats besides anything else what goes wrong with it in the next few weeks lol

Thanks for you replies guys much appreciated!