ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ball Joint Splitter = Necessary?

Going to be doing both ball joints in a few days and wondering if a ball joint splitter is necessary or should I be fine with a long fat screwdriver?

Seat Ibiza
I picked one up for £6 at my local tool zone store, not the best but but made the job so much easier.
Track rod ends on yours?

Seat Ibiza
I got a scissors one as if you don't have the replace it there is less chance of ruining the boot.

I got a scissors one as if you don't have the replace it there is less chance of ruining the boot.

You can't use a scissors one on the ball joints - the top of the joint is inside the hub
You can use them on track rod ends but he's doing ball joints
For ball joints the fork style is easiest - just tap it in with a hammer and bobs your uncle :D

BMW M135i
The fork style ones are fine only if you are replacing the ball joint, as they will almost unvariably split the boot on the joint.

172 exclusive
in ten years of owning my 172 excl never needed one , take the bolt out give it a squirt /drowning of wd or such like . then with a solid punch positioned verticaly down as close to the bj as you can .a sharp crack with a hammer off they come ,