ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Back end always stepping out?

Astra van,Mk1 nova
Recently the back end of my cup is tail happy. Checked the tyre pressures and there not to hard. slightest bit of damp (not wet) and its really unstable. Ive recently just fitted some lightweight seats and a rear loop, could this be the root of the problem? How do you find the handling of you clio after its been stripped?

Celica and Raptor.
Mines all orignal interior etc etc, and ive found the same but i must abmit that ive had a look and noticed that my near side shock is leaking oil so ive got some on order! Hopfully that will sort it.

Good Luck Mate Thanks Darren

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Nah! It's coz it's so light! Nout wrong with shockers! Mine did it the other wk!

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
Drive faster. This gets more heat into the tyres so that they grip more ................................................................................. ;)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
yep i'd say shocker, pop your head under the back and see if either are soaked in oil.

People always say that, but the 2 shocks i've had that have been fecked where not leaking at all.

C

clvs2222

number of things, light car, crap tyres, bobily road, nakered shocks

Arctic blue 182 (05)
I've just changed the front shocks after the n/s was totally knackered but the o/s was fine causing a strong imbalance. And with only 20k on the clock

Broken Diesel Megane :(
when i stripped out my cup it became very tail happy!!

spun it coming off the newtonhill slip road, girlfriend was not impressed, nor was the car i narrowly avoided!!

PH1 iceburg
Might sound stupid but when i put cheap tyres on the back of my 172 the back end began to feel very sketchy at speed. I thought it might have been shocks but when i took it to GDI to have some work done they said it was probably the shite tyres

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
Never saw this thread lol. I just did a thread on my back end stepping out. It feels very unstable and unsettled making it very scary to drive and not able to drive the car to it's limits!

Maybe it's the shocks mate, mine really doesn't feel right at all. My mate also said it doesn't look right through the bends when he was behind me!!

tiTTy & SV650
I had a 'few' rear shocks replaced on my 182 it was great fun when they went, used to have a right laugh catching the back end

If your shocks aint leaking bud try swapping front tyres to the back if you have better front tyres than whats on the rear and see if it feels any different.

It may just be crap tyres.

If that makes no difference and tyre pressures, shockers and brake balance/load sensor thing is ok slow down ;)

**Shockers are about 53quid ish from Renault as i had to replace my two rear ones last year ;)
And the Cup ones are the same i was told when it was looked up on computer..

Last edited:
  Suzuki Swift Sport
I need to try replacing mine, its not lively on the back end in cornering, just over bumps it twitches a bit.

But when I bought the car it had michelins on the front, and firestones on the back, it was such an oversteer machine! but it was a bit on the dangerous side so swapped them round, now it just understeers until i get 4 new tyres!

J

JACKO CUP 172!

my cup was all over the place didnt know why till i looked and the rear shocks and the n/s was well and truly shot!!! cant pick them up for about £50.

I need to try replacing mine, its not lively on the back end in cornering, just over bumps it twitches a bit.

But when I bought the car it had michelins on the front, and firestones on the back, it was such an oversteer machine! but it was a bit on the dangerous side so swapped them round, now it just understeers until i get 4 new tyres!

I bet you'd rather have understeer than over steer :approve:

my cup was all over the place didnt know why till i looked and the rear shocks and the n/s was well and truly shot!!! cant pick them up for about £50.

I'm sure i was about £53ish each for rear shockers from Evan Halshaw Renault in Aberdeen.
But i guess the price varies from dealer to dealer.

How much was you for yours Jacko ?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I paid £53 each for my 172 rears and £50 each for the fronts

When i stripped the back out of the cup, it got very skitish also! If youve fitted a strut brace to the back, imo you feel like the car is much more planted, but it will give you no sign as to when its going to kick out at all and when it does its pretty harsh!

Ive never had any problems with leaky shocks, but i guess check that like these guys have said, and if theres nothing wrong with them, maybe add a little bit more weight to the rear for stability...

Nick

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
100% will be rear shocks if tyres are decent and pressures fine, i spun my 172 twice at 30mph on wide roundabouts because of it, didnt even have time to catch it because was just driving slow with 1 hand on wheel and it just jumped out! you could feel it being unstable at speed on a straightline too! was all over the road!

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
100% will be rear shocks if tyres are decent and pressures fine, i spun my 172 twice at 30mph on wide roundabouts because of it, didnt even have time to catch it because was just driving slow with 1 hand on wheel and it just jumped out! you could feel it being unstable at speed on a straightline too! was all over the road!

Sounds like my car!! Also the rear tyres are about 400miles old so they are basically new.

Clio 182
might just be the lack of weight in the back now its stripped.... ive found on my trackdays this happens when i take out rear seats etc.

BG182®
I had this very same problem in the 206. I would be going with the flow around a corner and the car just simply always seemed to want to tail off. Found it to be just ONE of the shocks causing an imbalance at the rear. The worrying thing is it had been checked at Peugeot twice and they noticed it.