ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AVO Coilovers.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Right im after a set of coilovers for my ph1.

Has anyone had any experience with the AVO's??

Cheers

Scott.

ph1 172 Excl, Cossie
You change your mind every week dont you fella?!

I had one rear go pop (presuming seized), and then had the spring seat break on my Cossie rears. Binned them

When are you going to let me help you fella?! I am reaching out to show you some love here!!

Weeksy

Sprint 172
I have them and have only driven a short shakedown distance so far. What I can report is that the ability to absorb bumps and provide a quality of ride was remarkable. I've only gone with mild springs for hill climbing (300/175), but even so, I was very impressed. I found some ride height measurements for Cooksport springs searching on here and set my ride height to match. From what I have read, the inverted mono tube front struts with their hydraulic bump stops make a difference. Once it's been to Fred for the cambelt I will be able to test them properly. One thing AVO did say to me was that this kit (GTX) is intended for track days and light motorsport. It's not intended for everyday use nor for full blown motorsport. They have multi adjustable, remote canister set ups for that - £££££.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Just the information I was after, thank you very much for taking the time in replying mate.

My car only does about 3k per year just for fast road fun.

Have you any pictures of the kit fitted?

Also yesterday i asked the guy at AVO if they had any height adjustment measurements or any spec's but he couldn't answer my question.

Do you know or is it on the AVO web site?

Thanks Scott.

Sprint 172
What I know; Rears are twin tube with 16 point adjustment for bump and rebound. Fronts are inverted monotube with 9 point adjustable for bump and rebound. Spring choice is free. Plenty of adjustment for lowering, I was only about a third of the way down the thread. More pics on my Facebook page if you can see them - www.facebook.com/172refresh Otherwise, I'll have to upload them on here, let me know.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Im not on FB matey, if you could that will be great.

How comes you went for the Avos?

My short list was.

Ast 1s hard to get hold of, 3 month wait
BC's heard they have problems
Bilsteins seem to be good
Gaz gold's not to sure about quality

But im swaying towards the avos.

Sprint 172
I wanted a more motorsport orientated product and felt that the Bilstein were too road biased with no choice of spring rates. I came very close to going with BCs but was concerned over future maintenance/rebuild etc. I also felt that the inverted strut design is very beneficial having driven Bilstein's like that in the past. The fact that AVO are 5 minutes from my work helped as I'm sure periodic maintenance will be needed over the years.

Some pics (I used the studio at work!).

10013415_658960474170203_2948894111627741730_o_zpsecf97b3e.gif

1974150_658960487503535_9183189436721534272_o_zps243a2a10.gif

10155844_658960497503534_7068429117584324446_n_zps968d281b.gif

1975269_660751603991090_3328405624935190327_n_zpsafb0f6d0.gif

1522600_661350860597831_6398472563006682859_o_zps6486ba19.gif

Cup In bits
Looking quite nice those, looks like AVO have stepped up and done a more premium setup. Inverted mono tubes is a sign of quality, orat least they're trying.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Looking quite nice those, looks like AVO have stepped up and done a more premium setup. Inverted mono tubes is a sign of quality, orat least they're trying.

Or shall i just buy the Bilsteins and save a few quid Morgan?

The AVO's are £900 + VAT

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup

The AVO's are £900 + VAT

I've just replaced my KW V2's with Bilsteins, have to say I'm loving them and rate them over the KW's I had before.

Comfortable and not crashy, good damping, handling is very good.

Kam Racing can normally do very good deals on them (that's where I got mine)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Cheers J, i am swaying towards the billies tbh. Ive found them for £742 from Larkspeed.

I need to make my mind up asap, my car will be running by the weekend so i will need to get it taken to RS tuning. At the moment i have nothing so the car is on axel stands. :(

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I didn't buy them or did the guy next door for his scoob mate.

Just can't make my mind up tbh.

Cup In bits

The AVO's are £900 + VAT

If they're the superior then you're going to kick yourself for the difference mate.

AVO's look like they have a good corrosion free finish which I know will make you moist ;)

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
The corrosion protection on the Bilstein and H&R is pretty good.

They are a quality product if your not fussed about damping adjustment and just want a nice firm ride that isn't crashy.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Did they used to have a bad name then mate?

The last bit "or at least they are trying" is the bit that's put me off tbh.

If they're the superior then you're going to kick yourself for the difference mate.

AVO's look like they have a good corrosion free finish which I know will make you moist ;)

My cars not for track, I just like nice thing's that do a good job.

Flol @ making me moist, you know me to well. :)

Cup In bits
Did they used to have a bad name then mate?

The last bit "or at least they are trying" is the bit that's put me off tbh.

My cars not for track, I just like nice thing's that do a good job.

Flol @ making me moist, you know me to well. :)

I know in the Vauxhall world they're mediocre but I guess it depends what model you buy and the typical Vauxhall driver won't look after things (sweeping statement)

The trying but was just about what looks like a good finish (the same as AST's by the pics) and the use of monotubes which shoes they haven't skimped on things.

Everyone likes shiny things :)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
The model is the GTX kit.

They do come with a 2 year warranty and ive asked about the rebuild cost's which is not to expensive.

The other good thing I guess is they are in the uk.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Yeah I know mate.
Let's be honest, do I need it???

Only gives me more s**t to fiddle with. lol

Car only does 3k max per year and ill never track it.
I just want something thats not going to fall apart after 6 month's, handle well, give the car a nice stance and give a nice as possible ride when I take it out with the family.

The bilsteins have always been given good reviews on here but if im honest I do fancy the AVO's, just not sure if its going to be worth the extra cost.

Sprint 172
For a road car I would go with the bilsteins. The avos would be better for track days. As for seizing, shouldn't run the avos through the winter. The bilsteins would be ok I would think.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
For a road car I would go with the bilsteins. The avos would be better for track days. As for seizing, shouldn't run the avos through the winter. The bilsteins would be ok I would think.

Thanks mate, car doesn't get used in the winter anyway.
Bilsteins it is. :)

Get the Bilsteins, get it corner weighted. Job done

Im thinking the same Tom, car will be going to Mark Fish anyway.

Ill get them ordered. :cool:

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
^ yes they will fit. Your existing platform will not be needed as these are an all in one. Have a look at Weeksy's thread on them as there is some pics of the ones in the link fitted.

MK2 PH2 172 Cup
hi could someone explained to me the pros and cons of how the rear suspension works on AST's and AVO's and a comparison to the standard layout?