ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Audi TT 3.2 - I'm now doing discounted cut n blows

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Going to be looking at doing my rear seat delete soon. Ordered my bar last night. This is the OEM style

zoom_AUDI_TT_1.8T_QUATTRO_SPORT_3.jpg

But I want my sub in, so thinking of going something along the lines of this

DSCF0446.jpg

Although I am also considering a rear mounted box

007-vi.jpg

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
That third bar doesn't look like it would be bracing much of anything?

OEM style looks best FWIW, even if it is slightly try hard.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Well, driving to the dogs home on sunday, this happened.

DSC_2928.JPG

Timing chain seems to have finally stretched. I scanned it on VCDS and got no reading for the intake cam (which suggests over -11) and -10 for exhaust cam. b****cks. It was still running, but lumpy as f**k on idle. Well, it's been recovered to the garage to have the lump pulled out. As the gearbox has to come off to get tot he chains, I'm going to have a new clutch and DMF installed. Might as well put new shocks and springs on whilst it's up in their air too.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Annoying, but it'll feel like a new car with those bits done

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Sooooo, engine out. Pretty much every guide and tensioner was broken or cracked. Took a fair while to get it all timed up because auto-data doesn't clarify which point on the VVT housing is the actual timing marks FFS. It should be going back in today.

DSC_2990.JPG
DSC_2991.JPG
DSC_2994.JPG
DSC_2999.JPG
DSC_3000.JPG
IMG-20190425-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20190427-WA0001.jpeg

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Looks expensive, any damage to the engine or were you lucky?

The parts are fairly cheap, think the chain kit and clutch came to around £300, but then the DMF was inspected and, whilst there was only minimal play, while its all apart, that's going to be done too. It's the labour which kills this job. Good job my mechanic is a very good pal of mine and we had agreed a price prior to taking on the task. Most independents quote £2,200.00 for it.

Engine won't be damaged (fingers crossed) as it throws the EML light before it snaps once it cannot adjust any further.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
So, car is still at the garage. Got it all back together, warmed up, test run, ran fine. Great. Mechanic brought it back and, 2 streets away from home, starts caughing and spluttering and basically having a paddy. This was a friday eve at 6pm. I took the keys, threw them in the drawer and went to the pub. It sat there until the follwoing Wednesday when he came to pick it back up. Took the full engine out again because he wanted to be sure nothing had slipped etc, all timed up fine, so he did a little more digging.

Turns out that there is a tiny little gauze/mesh behind the VVT housing unit covering the oil feeds to the VVT cam adjusters. Well, that has collapsed and blocked a feed, knocking the timing out.

post-163020-0-69126200-1557825510.jpg

f***s sake. OK, lets just buy a new mesh and get it fitted.

post-163020-0-31410300-1557825533.jpg

**Stock photograph**

Well, shocker, turns out this piece is simply not available on it's own. Nope. You have to buy the full VVT housing unit at £700+ VAT. For a piece of f**king mesh.

That's not happening. I've told him to just put the fucker back together, give it an oil flush and get it back on my drive. I've drive 500miles in the birds 1.2 Corsa and it's draining the f**king life out of me.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
So, car is still at the garage. Got it all back together, warmed up, test run, ran fine. Great. Mechanic brought it back and, 2 streets away from home, starts caughing and spluttering and basically having a paddy. This was a friday eve at 6pm. I took the keys, threw them in the drawer and went to the pub. It sat there until the follwoing Wednesday when he came to pick it back up. Took the full engine out again because he wanted to be sure nothing had slipped etc, all timed up fine, so he did a little more digging.

Turns out that there is a tiny little gauze/mesh behind the VVT housing unit covering the oil feeds to the VVT cam adjusters. Well, that has collapsed and blocked a feed, knocking the timing out.

View attachment 1419208

f***s sake. OK, lets just buy a new mesh and get it fitted.

View attachment 1419209

**Stock photograph**

Well, shocker, turns out this piece is simply not available on it's own. Nope. You have to buy the full VVT housing unit at £700+ VAT. For a piece of f**king mesh.

That's not happening. I've told him to just put the fucker back together, give it an oil flush and get it back on my drive. I've drive 500miles in the birds 1.2 Corsa and it's draining the f**king life out of me.
Is it groundhog day? Swear you've already written this?

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Well, car is all back together and (touch wood) has been running great. I drove a thousand miles and then gave it another oil change.

This weekend i swapped out a knackered headlight ballast and put a fresh pair of 6000k bulbs in. Also decided to put my decat on.

DSC_3428.JPG
DSC_3430.JPG
DSC_3434.JPG
DSC_3403.JPG

Sounds nice and cheeky now. First fire up in the morning has a lovely growl

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Sounds much more exotic than a TT should. Love it.

Ha ha. It's definitely got a nice tone to it now. I'm going to leave the rest of it standard/OEM.

My mates has litterally just had all this done.

He's now £2900 into a £2400 car.

s**t son.

But once it's done, it's done. And if I was on the market to buy a 3.2, I'd be looking for one with the chains done, so I guess it helps resale, although unlikely to get the full cost of the work back. f**k it, it's only money eh.

I need to crack on with getting my audio gear installed properly now, rather than just being lobbed in the back