ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Audi TT 3.2 - I'm now doing discounted cut n blows

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Love it. Gally had the LCR splitter on his IIRC. I prefer them just as they are to be honest.

Are you going to drop it at all?

I'm considering a set of springs as the V6 kept the original pre-facelift height, facelift was lower by 25mm. I just dont want to ruin the ride as it's actually quite a nice drive. But 30mm drop and some 15mm spacers would do nicely.

@gally Got any pics of yours?

Seat Leon Cupra R
Leon Cupra R splitter. Used to be £15, now rocketed to £50. Bellends.

Don't I bloody know it too! (Old pic, evidently - appropriately just before fitting a new splitter to the grey one! House has been cleaned since too as it was long overdue...)

lcrs.jpg

If folk could stop putting them on everything else and driving up the price that'd be great. I'll let you off since we (kinda) share a chassis of course.

I'm considering a set of springs as the V6 kept the original pre-facelift height, facelift was lower by 25mm. I just dont want to ruin the ride as it's actually quite a nice drive. But 30mm drop and some 15mm spacers would do nicely.

@gally Got any pics of yours?

25mm spacers on the rear on my dads V6. Looks spot on.

I wouldn't change the springs myself. They ride so good as is.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
It's the height more than anything else, they look a bit, well, "frumpy" from certain angles.

When I had mine everyone was fitting Apex springs. Apparently they give a nice drop whilst retaining the standard ride.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
This, been keeping an eye out for one myself. The 20V Turbo ones are a touch cheaper, 225 Quattro looks to be good value.

A very easy engine to get good power out of, but also a s**t load to go wrong with them and many have been thrashed. The interior really is a nice place to be, and you wouldn't think it was based on a Mk4 golf chassis.

I originally looked at 225s, but after viewing a few I was put off by them, and went for the V6 instead. Nicer bumper, better rear spoiler, better wheels etc. Yes, it's probably a bit thirstier than the 225, but who buys a sports car for MPG? I think the price on these bottomed out a couple of years back and is now on the rise again as all the dogs have been broke

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yea the VR6 engine was pretty reliable from what I remember, my mate had a Mk3 VR6 with over 200k on the clock, still ran perfectly.
Still quite a few 20V Turbo's around under 2 grand, cheap enough to buy and have a few laughs in.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Will answer the others in a bit but the 225 even QS is an utter sewing machine engine in standard guise. It's the engine version of beige!

Splitter...

Poor quality of image but the splitter was a nice addition.
67022f58187d27c3bc8cc7b624f8c45c.jpg
00fbdb39253d00d27177afbdbf75a238.jpg

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Still a great looking car and I would have another in a heartbeat. They are far from slow and go round corners quickly with no drama.

Upgraded headunit required these days but apart from that and missing cruise control from memory they are fantastic and truly sound special for a cheap car.

I remember stopping at the service on the way home from London and giving it a rev as I got out and it tingled the balls. Sounded expensive if that makes sense and it was a bloody expensive car new. Also one of the first dsg boxes ever made and the dsg box suits the car over the manual for me.

A clutch change in a manual is more than the mech unit in the auto.

I tell this story a lot but we were heading home from Glasgow after the football, freezing, rain lashing down pitch black and we had the heated seats on, radio on, xenons blazing and the missus napping in the pass seat. It was what the car was built for, attacking the motorway at mppppphhhh and never put a foot wrong in my ownership. I made about a grand on mine and was on 67k from memory.

A clean 3.2 will definitely go up in value. That I have no doubt.

I think they still look nice, but for me they have to have the thin multispoke wheels. They just look so right

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Considering a cheap tt for winter and chucking some snow tyres on it,
amazing car when you think you can pick up a rough one for a bag of sand.

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
I've recently bought a 3.2 TT (with the DSG box) and love it! Smooth, fast, comfortable, pretty decent on fuel if not driven silly and sounds lovely!

Lowered it on some AP Coilovers and got a set of 9x18 Rota Force alloys fitted with some 12mm rear spacers and 3mm fronts to clear the shocks (on ET35 wheels), and think it looks great now! Not too low, but sits perfect for me.

Have owned many cars, including a 225 TT a few years back, but this current one, in this colour/interior combo and spec is very close to being my favourite car I've owned (and that includes two Porsches, albeit a Boxster and a Boxster S).

For the money, they're a genuine bargain if you can find a good one and as has been said, a future classic for sure in mk1 form. I see these going the same way as the Corrado has done, cheap for years, but then when the good ones start becoming hard to find the prices will shoot up. Won't be any time soon, but it will happen.

42243626560_4df2f9c786_k.jpg

Last edited:
  Seat Leon Cupra R
the 225 even QS is an utter sewing machine engine in standard guise. It's the engine version of beige!

Completely agree with you there. Cracking engines with lots of cheap tuning potential (~300bhp levels are dirty cheap relative to many others, though above that starts to add up a touch) but the V6 sounds infinitely nicer.

I almost bought a 172 shell to drop my spare 1.8t into last year - 380bhp in a ~1000kg Clio sounds like a whole lot of fun! 1.8t cars can be picked up for next to nothing now, which is a blessing and a curse when you see some of the hands they end up in.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I've recently bought a 3.2 TT (with the DSG box) and love it! Smooth, fast, comfortable, pretty decent on fuel if not driven silly and sounds lovely!

Lowered it on some AP Coilovers and got a set of 9x18 Rota Force alloys fitted with some 12mm rear spacers and 3mm fronts to clear the shocks (on ET35 wheels), and think it looks great now! Not too low, but sits perfect for me.

Have owned many cars, including a 225 TT a few years back, but this current one, in this colour/interior combo and spec is very close to being my favourite car I've owned (and that includes two Porsches, albeit a Boxster and a Boxster S).

For the money, they're a genuine bargain if you can find a good one and as has been said, a future classic for sure in mk1 form. I see these going the same way as the Corrado has done, cheap for years, but then when the good ones start becoming hard to find the prices will shoot up. Won't be any time soon, but it will happen.

View attachment 1383813
Nice rare colour mate also. Not a wheel fan, I like oem or BBS on a TT but nice.

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
Nice rare colour mate also. Not a wheel fan, I like oem or BBS on a TT but nice.

Yeah, the colour was what sold it to me from the advert really, and the photos don't do it justice in the sunshine (when we had some) it looked stunning :)
I like the standard wheels, and help make the V6 stand out to the not in the know people regarding the 3.2 / 1.8T models, the BBS wheels I don't think work although thats probably because every set I've ever seen have bad paint and have bubbled up like all BBS wheels do. Guess that's why they cost so much for the great high quality lol.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
What is that colour called?? There's a deep purple that looks pretty nice too.

Was it a limited run colour or did people just always order in Silver/Blue/Black ??

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I really wished i'd gone for the v6 instead of the 225 Turbo when i bought mine a couple years ago. I had nothing but trouble with the bloody thing, owned it 3 months and spent over £2.5k servicing it and keeping it on the road. In the end it was the 24mpg average that pushed me over (bearing in mind the 182 i sold previously would have done closer to 38-40 driving the same way), I had to drive it like a granny to achieve that too.

Love the looks though, and mine was pretty much mint, cleanest car I've ever had
wAjEDkQ.jpg

yyCAihh.jpg

vWdHsqS.jpg

What is that colour called?? There's a deep purple that looks pretty nice too.

Was it a limited run colour or did people just always order in Silver/Blue/Black ??
Dolomite grey.

Pretty sure it Avus Silver, The Dolomite grey is a lot darker.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yes those wheels go surprisingly well.

40mpg in a 182 tho? I never managed more than mid-low 30's personally. You must be very sparing with the throttle!

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Yes those wheels go surprisingly well.

40mpg in a 182 tho? I never managed more than mid-low 30's personally. You must be very sparing with the throttle!

My commute to work is probably 50% 40 & 50mph speed roads with average speed camera's and 40% roads were overtaking isn't really possible safely. There are a few miles of roads to have fun on, but it's easy to average close to 40mpg, if you avoid having a little fun on those bits. I'm currently averaging around 34mpg in my current 182. The way i drove the TT though, 40mpg would have been easy, it was so so bad on fuel. My 3.0i Z4 used to manage 28-29mpg driving the way i drive my clio now more or less.

Wheels were genuine rotiform blq's, were on the car when i bought it. To be honest, i'd have probably changed them at some point if i kept the car.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
What went wrong on the TT to cost so much money??

I thought the 5V Turbo and the manual boxes were relatively sturdy units?

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Honestly i can't remember now. I just remember adding it all up after about 3 months and it being around the £2.5k mark and it was still throwing up Engine management lights.

I'm pretty sure there was a boost leak somewhere which they're renown for, but even after doing a leak test, i couldn't trace it. It's was maxing out the turbo too, pushing around 280-285bhp. thinking about it a slight detune may have helped matters slightly.

The servicing cost was probably close to £1000, as i had everything serviced, with the intention of keeping it for a while. Belts, oils, haldex, etc. The headlights were fried due to the previous owner fitting cheap Chinese bulbs. Replacement projectors and bulbs probably set me back £350-400.

My average in the TT is 20.3mpg.

Think my brother used to get around 26mpg in his mk2 V6. But driving style and usage probably has a big impact of these figures

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 430D & T5
I sold mine spring last year. Did around 25k in it in 18 months or so, sold it at just over 100k. Cost me less than a hundred quid in repairs, just consumables and (lots of) fuel. Averaged 26 mpg over that period, assuming the trip computer was accurate.

I actually miss it a little bit. It was awesome in the snow!

b5bd4e93810bf54b5403ff86ac48d96f.jpg

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I remember our conversation about yours Nick and I was genuinely interested, but by the time I got round the being in a position to buy, yours had gone.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
PS4's are pretty decent tyres, especially this time of year with the crappy weather.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Verdict on tyres so far? What tyres were on it before?

Nothing short of fantastic. It had some mid-range, water displacing things on before, cant remember the name, but they were naff, noisy and breaking up between the blocks.

Since the PS4s went on I've had to re-learn the grip levels. Where I would usually balance it ready for the rear to step, it now just grips and turns in. No understeer, and whisper quiet at 120.

Highly recommended.

If you order from BlackCircles (which were cheapest in my size anyways) use CC40 discount code for more off

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 430D & T5
I remember our conversation about yours Nick and I was genuinely interested, but by the time I got round the being in a position to buy, yours had gone.

Yeah I remember now, sorry I didn’t put 2+2 together! I was skim reading!

Timing wasn’t quite right as I needed the money freeing up but someone got a good deal on it [emoji3525]

The only tyres I purchased during my ownership were Faulken and I thought they were brilliant for the price so put some more on. Can’t compare them to pilots but they were more than good enough for me, and only around £75 a corner at the time. Just in case you want an alternative for next time round. In fact, I’ve just had the FK150’s fitted on my BMW and they’re night and day over the mid-ranges that were on when I bought it, super grippy even in the pouring rain.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Car washed and hoovered out, and MOT passed with no advisories. Lovely. Although it is still showing on the MOT system as on the original plate, which is weird, because the DVLA have it listed as my private plate. So it's been done on my old one and I've had to message the DVSA to ask them to amend their records.

Then the ABS and Traction light came on on way home. Scanned up as the right rear wheel sensor, so will get that replaced this week.

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 430D & T5
Car washed and hoovered out, and MOT passed with no advisories. Lovely. Although it is still showing on the MOT system as on the original plate, which is weird, because the DVLA have it listed as my private plate. So it's been done on my old one and I've had to message the DVSA to ask them to amend their records.

Then the ABS and Traction light came on on way home. Scanned up as the right rear wheel sensor, so will get that replaced this week.

Might be worth checking that’s definitely the issue before you spend money on it.

I had the same lights on intermittently on mine and was reading as something else on my code reader. Turned out to be the brake pedal switch. Cost me about a tenner and a cut finger to sort it out.