ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Attack of the rust

Ph1
Knew the jacking point was bad but after poking about managed to push through this bit of the underside.

Question is: is this most likely to have rusted due to the jacking point or is there any water drainage points around here ?

IMG_20180505_144211~2.jpg

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Probably rusted through due to age or incorrect jacking up using that/sill. Use the chassis rail behind.

Easy enough to sort will need the inner sill fixing too as looks quite crusty

Clio mk2 1.4 16v
Good luck mate :)
its not to bad....... ive seen worse
ive just undersealed my 2001 Clio 36k on the clock

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
mines done exactly same, poor jacking in the past cracked the underseal and then the waters got in

passenger side is fine

Ph1
Yeah same here, passenger side is fine. It's tyre places that do the damage. Last place split the side skirt jacking it up on the sill.

Ph1
What model and age of Clio is that?

2001 phase 1.

Think anyone owning a 172 / 182 rust prevention needs to be top priority. I considered mine to be well looked after, always garaged from new till recently, jet washed arches etc etc - petrol tank area and filler cap are showing early signs of rust coming in.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I didn't think these would rust! When I had mine they seemed pretty strong!

That's the one think about the Meganes I like, no rust stories!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah there's a good few reports of rusting sills and fuel filler caps. Not sure how the 182's are holding up

I never understood why integrated mudflaps weren't an option for the 1*2s - like the standard models.

Sure, overtime, the end rust result would probably be inevitable. But it would certainly reduce the direct bashing from road debris that the sills and jacking point areas get. Seems like common sense to me?

Clio
Hi

If you ask me, I think the corrosion resistance of these Clios is pretty good compared to a lot of other cars from that same period!

Remember the youngest 182 is now 13 years old, and the oldest 172 is around 18 years now isn't it?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Hi

If you ask me, I think the corrosion resistance of these Clios is pretty good compared to a lot of other cars from that same period!

Remember the youngest 182 is now 13 years old, and the oldest 172 is around 18 years now isn't it?

They last miles longer than any ford from the same era thats for sure. Its sad to see some good nick shells going to the weigh in yard. Gve it ten years and it will be hard to find a rot free shell imo.

Ph1
I never understood why integrated mudflaps weren't an option for the 1*2s - like the standard models.

Sure, overtime, the end rust result would probably be inevitable. But it would certainly reduce the direct bashing from road debris that the sills and jacking point areas get. Seems like common sense to me?

Funny you should say that. I actually did have mud flaps fitted on the front for the first couple of years it was new (still got them) but decided the car looked better without them.

It's just about keeping on top of undercoating and rust prevention before it starts.

Land Rover

Fitting the factory mudguards on the Z3 actually made things worse, as the front of the sill rotted out behind the mud flap where mud collected, making a right mess.

Land Rover
The rear panels around the filler cap area seem to eventually rust from the inside, after all some of these cars are approaching twenty years old.
It’s a double skin but if you remove the rear lamp clusters there’s a small opening and it’s possible to spray waxoyl or some other product in to that area using an extension tube.
Push the extension tube in and spray liberally while moving it around and you’ll coat the inside of the panels.
That should keep rust at bay, or at least it will help.