ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ash b's BG182 track car

BG182 Track car
hello all,

been joined up a few month now so i thought id start a project thread up, ive mainly been into vauxhalls for years and this is my first french car, so after breaking my corsa turbo track car i decided to buy one due to there known handling abilities and get back into having fun and using the track car rather thaan buuilding and fixing it all the time lol

few pics of my old car

corsa b c20let, evo tdo5 turbo conversion stand alone mangement , custom suspension, fully rose jointed etc mapped to 350 bhp

10698718224_7154db00ab_b.jpg

9ACF6408-9C06-4B2D-96B0-D46951404FA8-670-0000002DA71BEEF6.jpg

anyway onto the clio,

bought a few months ago off a member on here BG182 clio on a 04 plate , here she is as i got her

clio3.jpg

clio2.jpg

clio1.jpg

spec list of when i got it

93000 miles but does have fsh lots of recipts and just had service and cambelt, dephaser, water pump done by fred at btm
both cup packs
172 cup hubs
fk konigsport coilovers
ktec cat back exhaust
ktec discs all round with green stuff pads
white line rear arb
16" speedline turnini wheels

it drove very well obv a bit of getting used to coming from the corsa but still alot of fun, steering just felt a lil dead so it wasnt long before i started cracking on with it.
First up removed the awkward old steering rack bushes

Old
null_zps6cc7fb9a.jpg

New
null_zps4e6e9b1d.jpg

Next up was some new genuie cup wishbones from west renault
null_zps34cf4195.jpg

After some long chatting and with my mate at the motorfactors and looking at different tie rods tryin to find the correct length ones i got these
null_zpse216016e.jpg

Listed as kangoo 4x4 exact same 335mm length , fitted these with the new track rod ends , nightmare job for access with mole grips but got there in a few hours
null_zpsa501d1c2.jpg

Gt a scorpion decat for £35 so got that fitted along with a new downpipe to decat gasket and fitting kit, sounds loads better nice and raspy on full load but quiet when you want it to be
null_zps66769ad6.png

Bought a full pms stud kit and also some m.a.d 15mm ally hubcentric spacers, Got them fitted up
null_zpsa3381a72.jpg

Also cleaned up the coilovers didnt realise the hole was slotted so can adjust camber, so set it to max , think i got enough lol
null_zps86e0281f.jpg

null_zpsb91b2bf7.jpg

Also early xmas prezzie off the misses, new sparco helmet ;)
null_zpsb12107f3.jpg

Just bought a set of polycarbs front an rear sides wih 2 sliders and ds2500 pads.

Well i had the alignment checked/adjusted to day, well happy with all the readings seems pretty even, ignore the toe in thats now set to about the same amount but toe out instead, camber is bang on lol what a guess and rear looks good ;) what yas think?
null_zps86f33c7e.jpg

so its now after xmas and have been doing a few lil bits and collected a few bits to get it ready for bedford :)

up the bonnet was anoying me as it had loads of stop chips and tiny lil ones all over it, so i filled the big ones, flatted back with 2000 grit paper and then used the wipe technique to smear paint over the entire bonnet with a cloth and then polish back with a cutting compound. very scary to say the least but it does work well, still has a lil dent id like removed.
url=http://s682.photobucket.com/user/ashleybruneau/media/IMG_2183.jpg.html]
IMG_2183.jpg
[/url]
IMG_2182.jpg

after the cut
IMG_2191.jpg

took the front and rear diamonds off, bullets off and clio badge off and painted them all in the colour im doing the wheels rover gunmetal grey, the rear one is satin black atm as ran out of paint.
IMG_2193.jpg

IMG_2190.jpg

IMG_2195.jpg

swapped the cup spoiler i had to the std 182 one tbh i prefer the way it follows the roof as its less than half the weight of the cup one which is pretty damn heavy , it is a track car after all and need a strict diet lol.
IMG_2194.jpg

received me sparco sumframes this week and my 2 pairs of side mounts :) and drove down to bristol last weekend to pick this bad boy up ;) corbeau revolution just gone out of date from a unfinished project, it has literaly not been sat in,its mint, very tight but feels pretty awsome really grips you.
IMG_2171.jpg

want to make use of the existing corbeau forza seats i already had from the corsa so will try to use that as a passanger seat.
cleaned it all up and also looks pretty new
IMG_2175.jpg

the forza is a bottom mount seat opposed to the revolutions side mount so i took a few measurements and looks like is just have to make 2 box section rails to go between the seat and the subframe to get the hole spacings required, just need to see where about it sits in the car now and the height of it.
IMG_2174.jpg

IMG_2173.jpg

IMG_2176.jpg

after a decision for the 15" wheels i wanted and a while of searching and missing a few sets i finally got my hands on a set of 15" 6.5j renault turbines in need of a refurb for £150 there et36 so should fill the arches nicely with my 15mm spacers on front and 10's on back.
heres what they were like when i got them
IMG_2180.png

primered before flatting any bad bits with 800
IMG_2179.jpg

fully painted and laquered, just painted the tyres are thre goin in the bin anyway in way for my yoko a048's, only done the one so far, will be doin the rest this week as they take a fair bit of effort well happy though they should look awsome on the car.
IMG_2186.jpg

also purhased the unlock code for the rstuner over xmas so rich is goin to load that on for me over the next few weeks , cheers mate ;)
gave her a mini detail today and well happy few lil dents but she does look well, need to remeber its a track car lol.
track car
IMG_2192.jpg

daily track tower, looked a little uncared for so gave then a treatment to
IMG_2197.jpg

thats it so far, ive now put her in the garage so i can start stripping, fit seats polycarbs, 2500, ducts, brake pads etc so more updates soon

Nicely done, looks good.

Im looking to do the paint wipe repair for all the little chips that aren't worth individually filling on my bonnet, am I right in thinking you soak a cloth in solvent i.e. isopropyl alcohol, then add colour on top and wipe all over?

BG182 Track car
With mine i bought the touch up paint dabbed it onto a sponge and wiped over the bonnet then cut back be easier with a rotary/da

thanks for relies so far guys cant wait to get the turbines finished an fitted

BG182 Track car
Me to mate although ive been givin mine abuse in wet with the Pirelli nero's on an pretty impressed , dont know if its just me but i cant drive it with the traction control on , i turn it off everytime i get in , feels so much better

BG182 Track car
With the help of the kids we managed to strip out most of the interior in a few hours
null_zps4972c98b.jpg

null_zps360fc1bb.jpg

still got the rear to do and all the tar crap , made a start on the door any polycarb, didnt take long before the glass and gubbins was out and i had this
null_zps40539b45.jpg

nice lil hole for the door opener cable lol
null_zpse1636bdf.jpg

quick shot of outside, they just need a polish
null_zps3555e00d.jpg

need to just add 2 bolts under it to stop it falling but managed to push in some 6mm silicon hose between the window and inside dead to push the polycarb flush with the outside and its now pretty tight in there ;) all wires hissed inside door unit i make my cortex doorcards

Cup In bits
Looks good, I have never seen that paint smear method before. Does it look good close up?

I would suggest refitting the interior door pulls as they just bolt right back on, you don't want to be clawing for that little nipple if the worst happens.

Your geo settings look good too, you might find you want some more camber up front depending on how hard you drive.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Nice work so far.

Corsa engine looks epic.

Probably one of the few people to actually remove a cup spoiler for a non cup spoiler haha.

BG182 Track car
Haha cheers everyone , the corsa was stupid fast, never know i may start a non cup spoiler trend lol

BG182 Track car
Looks good, I have never seen that paint smear method before. Does it look good close up?

I would suggest refitting the interior door pulls as they just bolt right back on, you don't want to be clawing for that little nipple if the worst happens.

Your geo settings look good too, you might find you want some more camber up front depending on how hard you drive.
works really well you just gotta be brave mate can hardly tell now, door pulls maybe goin on tonight as ive got hold of some correx for maximum lightness sort cards ;)

Cup In bits
works really well you just gotta be brave mate can hardly tell now, door pulls maybe goin on tonight as ive got hold of some correx for maximum lightness sort cards ;)

Have a search around for cup racer handle spacers if you haven't already seen them, they will mount your door pulls nicely on the corex board.

BG182 Track car
right then been, fitting a few hours in after work where i can cracking on with track prep,

removed all the rest of the interior, ive been weighing and writing down whats what as i remove it an im upto about 90kg saved at this point with the seat weight
differences fron standard and the poly carbs, theres still more weight to be saved aswell.

got some 3mm correx stuff from work for free so i thought i make up some door cards, doesnt look at neat as foamex i used on my last car, but it was free...

mocking up the template to fit inside the flatest area of the door

IMG_2209.jpg

made the one side and then flipped it over to mark round and do the other side, then carefully work out where the existing holes in door were plus add some exta self tappers.

null_zpsd0910d6f.jpg

all fitted just need a few more screws, may paint them up satin black as the current black is a bit grey, not perfect but they serve a purpose and look sound with the door closed.

IMG_2218.jpg

IMG_2214.jpg

ive orderd some cup racer door handle spacers and will be fitting either a pull strap to open door or fit my lightweight metal handles i made at work

then was onto the not very exciting part of removing the sound deadening, somthing ive never normally bother with due to hassle but i bought a 2000w heat gun and its an absolute peice of piss.

so far ive done boot floor, 2 peices inside where the rear seat belts anchor, the bit behind the seat and half of the front on the driver side and already at 4kg, there must be 12kg of it plus the masaive peice in the roof!.

IMG_2216.jpg

IMG_2217.jpg

will use some petrol or somthing to get the excess glue off as the plan is to brush paint all the floor in black hamerite

Clio Trophy #343
Be carful doing the roof mate, you may dent it removing the tar :)

Rest looks good mate, door cards look sweet :) we would do ours but I like the electric windows lol

BG182 Track car
Quick shot of the floor section cleaned with jizzer degreaser

null_zps2a49651d.jpg

Want seats as low as possible so iv took a lot of measurements and made a drawing to make them
tomorow from 10mm ally flat stock,

null_zps0817eb62.jpg

should be nice and light to.

BG182 Track car
So over the weekend i cracked on and did a bit more, first up was the fitting of the corbeau revolution seat.
the original design of a subframe out if ally was scrapped and a much more simple design was used of 2 lengths of ally flat bar and a spacer at the back to support the very end of the rail, very light weight and saved another 3.5 kg. seat is 7.5kg brackets not even 0.5kg so thats a 14.5kg saving over std seat :)

null_zps8aec87e7.jpg

the flat bar sits across the original raised sections of the floor so is fully supported, bolts to the front rail in the floor and the rear goes through the spacer into the floor and bolted underneath with a spreader plate and bolt.

null_zps08b5c6c2.jpg

null_zps1dd43f02.jpg

null_zps5075ad36.jpg

Seat position feels mint nice and low with option to adjust if need be its a bit of a squeeze to get in but , nice reach for the gear stick, wheel is set in lowest position and doesn't feel like your on top of the wheel like it was on standard seats.

next was more sound deadening stuff, passenger side tar stuff and the thick rubber foam on the bulkhead, still behind dash to do but I'll leave that for now as want the dash flocking so will do it then.

Gutted the passenger door and fitted the polycarb

null_zps949c89bb.jpg

Then i decided i wanted the stripped inside as tidy as possible so set about re routing all the rear wiring inside gap between te internal and external skins, driver side very easy, passenger side i had to cut and rejoin the wires at the top of the boot as it would of been a nightmare trying to feed that back through as its very tight

null_zps816a4431.jpg

Glue still needs cleaning etc but you get the idea, looks so much tidier now cant see any wires apart from the fuel pump one, the rear quarters holes will be covered with the correx like the front doors.

Had a can of gloss black so gave the boot and arches a quick paint to see what it looked like, came out great , can see how tidy it is aswell without the wiring, excuse the crap iPhone pics.

null_zps22c07c46.jpg

boot weight saving time and the wiper and motor had to go, looks a lot cleaner at the back, not to everyones taste but mainly for weight loss and it was playing up anyway, had to cut the stubborn thing off, quick lick of satin black and a grommet, job done

null_zps7dae4ab4.jpg

Rear diamond Going gunmetal this week, that is all .

Clio Trophy #343
Looks spot on in the paint mate, slightly wished we can canned ours but to he honest, in my previous track cars it's ended up too much maintenance to keep looking that good lol

BG182 Track car
Been and bought resistors today to hopefully sort out the airbag light and serv light, does anyone know if when you turn the passanger one off with key its supposed to display the light on the dash?

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
go and see Mick at Diamond motors he will turn the lights off with clip, I started messing around with resistors but in the end it was more hassle so got it done properly

Picked the 2nd corbeau revolution up today off sonny172cup, nice to meet another member , nice one mate seats spot on ;)

Nice one buddy, good to have a chat this morning too. If the weather was better I would have showed you around the car.

Btw good project car looks good, you can relax knowing its had Freds hands on it at some point too.

I like what you have done with the seat frames, I was looking at doing something similar as the OMP subframes are a little heavy, also will lower the seat too. I take it its pretty rigid and no flex?