ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are the rear dampers filled with oil???

Blk/Gold 182 FF
Quick question, I woke up this mornin and there was a pool of wat looked and smelled like oil under the offside rear wheel arch and it's all over the bottom of the rear suspension damper thing!! All I can say is it looks like the damper has been leaking!! Any one else had this problem before???

Just to add, you'll benefit from replacing both rear shocks at the same time... they're about £55 from Renault and are easy to fit yourself.

yeah you can carry on driving, you'll just be able to feel the rear behaving strangely.

Yes, £55 a corner.

Blk/Gold 182 FF
Bloody great, now I need them and a wheel beAring, well ithink it's a wheel bearing, I'm gettin a veryloud droowning sound. From the rear , when goin at normal speeds and gets louder at high speed. Are these expensive to change??

Rear bearings are pressed into the discs. About £150 last time I checked for discs and bearings from Renault. Again, easy to fit yourself.

If your discs are fine a cheaper way is to find a garage to press your old bearings out and a new one in... but most people just renew the whole disc/bearing assembly.

Blk/Gold 182 FF
It is cheap just come at a bad time lol all at once!! hmm hopefully my disks r ok so they could just replace the bearing, hopefully being the key word lol

Mk5 golf gti
not dangerous, ive seen alot of people drive round with leaking shocks.or they have leaked a long time ago an there is no noticible oil on the shockers but wonder why there back end jumps round corners lol
youll notice a great difference when you change them mate

Blk/Gold 182 FF
Hmm I can't wait to get some cash together and get the car back up to scratch lol that noise of the bearing though is horrible!! I'm still not sure if it's the back or the front though :s any tips to find out? Lol

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Get hold of some second hand shocks off here for pennies, and a pair of rear discs, about £90 and the cheapest damn pads you can find, rear brakes on the clio are useless anyways.

Blk/Gold 182 FF
ye i think i'm gonna get the bearing done first, then save to get 2 new dampers next month and prob change all for sets of disks for the car while ive hopefully got the money before xmas lol

do you have to get disk's for the rear if the bearing goes? do they only come as one?

Westy. MX5
The rear discs usually come with bearings fitted, some suppliers are minus the bearings. Renault OE's and GSF do. Renaults OE are about £110 a pair, GSF are about £70 a pair and are adequate. If your rear brake discs are rusty and worn then change them too. Only do a bearing change if your brake discs are relatively new.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Most say a bearing change isn't worth trying as you muller it trying to get it into the disc, so easier and more worth while to just change the whole disc.

Blk/Gold 182 FF
sounds like a plan, esp when pair is only about 90 squid with the bearings and stuff, just cant handle the noise any longer lol well i hope its the rear anyway! could be the front, knowing my luck lol thanks for all the comments btw!!!

Hmmm. Our's probably went on the same day!

Went on holiday on the 13/7. Car ('05 182; 29,000 miles) had been fine and was parked up the night before with no issues. Walked round it next morning before leaving - all fine.

Came back on Tuesday to pool of oil under car from a wet n/s rear damper and an otherwise bone dry underside - at least the cause was obvious!

I reckon it was the weight of bird s**t from our nesting swallows!