ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple 8/X

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
The plus range has got a considerably bigger battery than the non-plus though, something like a third bigger, it's the one to have if you want decent battery life out of an iPhone.

The 8 apparently has slightly worse battery life than the 7 in all models because it has about a 10% smaller battery and the efficiency savings of the new CPU etc can't balance that out, so don't expect better battery life from an 8 unless your seven's battery is a bit clapped out.
Fair point! I didn't think of that.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
As mentioned before. My 6s has completely gone to s**t with the battery. Literally overnight.

Tin hat on and all that, I am convinced they slow these down with updates to push sales on new models.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
My 7 switched off at 11% battery last night, it’s never done that before.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
I wonder how much Apple paid them to commission that report so that it doesn't look bias... Defo into the high millions.
Well they gave me £50 to propagate it on a clio forum so my guess would be many many millions :wink:
But yeh, it’s almost as if your phone senses it’s no longer the newest and goes off in a strop and uses all its battery haha

Listerine & Poledo
Tin hat on and all that, I am convinced they slow these down with updates to push sales on new models.

Nothing tin foil about that.

Although, yes, new OS will be optimised for the 8, so anything lesser will be affected negatively. Same as trying to run Windows 10 on a Pentium 2.

Which is why I've still not moved to new OS

Listerine & Poledo
Don't you lot just put your phone on low power mode all day?
Isn't that entirely defeating the point?
That said, a day without making it to "Low Power Mode" is a very quiet day.
How the snapchat/insta/constant-media people get through 5 hours without needing a backpack battery is a mystery

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
No low power mode here.
4hr's 19 mins use, 29hrs 42 mins standby and still 53% battery.
+ FTW.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Isn't that entirely defeating the point?
That said, a day without making it to "Low Power Mode" is a very quiet day.
How the snapchat/insta/constant-media people get through 5 hours without needing a backpack battery is a mystery

Not really? Battery lasts longer?

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!
The only reason I want to upgrade my 6s is for the portrait mode featured on the 7/8 plus and iPhone X

Is it worth just upgrading (buying outright) to a 7 plus that’ll save me a shed load of money?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
The only reason I want to upgrade my 6s is for the portrait mode featured on the 7/8 plus and iPhone X

Is it worth just upgrading (buying outright) to a 7 plus that’ll save me a shed load of money?

7 is outselling the 8 apparently

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Picked up my 8 yesterday (regular).

QC is awful, took 5 phones to finally get a good one (miss aligned rear glass, glue on the glass, dust behind the camera lens)

320d M Sport
That’s strange as they’re normally bob on.

How are the sales of the new models then? Apparently some US and Canadian networks are reporting woeful sales ...

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Can't remember any actual numbers but lots of places are saying demand is really low with people holding out for the X.

I look forward to checking back on here tomorrow morning to see what delivery estimates the CS Ballers are getting... @eugegall

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
That’s strange as they’re normally bob on.

How are the sales of the new models then? Apparently some US and Canadian networks are reporting woeful sales ...

The apple store trafford only had limited stock of the regular 8 with 256GB, no 64GB stock...Suggests to me they're selling well.

With Apple offering interest free I presume most will be buying through them for peace of mind.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Rumours of the face ID being “dumbed down” so Apple can reach their build targets on the X.

7 is outselling the 8 as there’s nearly no reason to buy the 8 over the 7 and people are probably waiting for the X which is seriously down on production

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Rumours of the face ID being “dumbed down” so Apple can reach their build targets on the X.

7 is outselling the 8 as there’s nearly no reason to buy the 8 over the 7 and people are probably waiting for the X which is seriously down on production

Easy way of saving £200.

However, the 8 is the better buy because of the chip and extended OS support.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Easy way of saving £200.

However, the 8 is the better buy because of the chip and extended OS support.
I don’t think extended os support is a big thing these days. You buy the 7 this time around and you have at least 2 years of support when the majority will change to the next new iPhone then.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Tbh I want Apple to fail this year, both offerings have been poor and the fact there’s been no design change in 4 years says a lot imo. (Yes there’s only so much you can do with a rectangle blah blah blah)

Apple are starting to divide far too much and I hope they fail this year in the hope that they rethink some strategy for the next couple of years.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Have you seen it? The design is actualy worse than the 6/7/8 copies.

It looks so thick, so so dated. I think the 6/7/8 are stunning looking pieces of tech, very sleek.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
still can't get over that damn notch at the top, gonna play havoc for full screen video. would have an s8 but im sold on ios and i dont like the tapered sides

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Predicted to shift about 262 million units annually almost half of which will be X models.
so hardly a failure when you consider Samsung equivalents are only predicted to ship about 60 million units.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
It’s a complete failure when it comes to UX not to mention it looks turd.

I hope it fails to kick Apple up the ass so they start pulling their finger out

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I don’t think extended os support is a big thing these days. You buy the 7 this time around and you have at least 2 years of support when the majority will change to the next new iPhone then.

It is when your processor lags in comparison. It’ll be dog slow in 18 months time.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
The 8 and the X are brilliant bits of kit. Arguably Apple are pushing the boundaries regarding pricing though.

iOS is as good as it gets. OSX streets ahead of the competition and has been for a long long time.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
The 8 and the X are brilliant bits of kit. Arguably Apple are pushing the boundaries regarding pricing though.

iOS is as good as it gets. OSX streets ahead of the competition and has been for a long long time.

There’s many that would claim iOS is terrible and has been for a few generations, I’m not 100% one of them but I don’t think it’s as good as it can be, moreso when the X comes out.

As for a comparison, I’ve been on ios11 on my 6s for about 4 months now and it’s not slow enough for me to consider changing (I would if there was something better on offer but the 8 and the X just don’t cut it) unless I compare an 8 directly next to my 6s I’m not going to feel “how slow it is” because in reality it’s not and I think a lot of people are thinking that these days.

Apple are most certainly pushing the price, it’s what happens when you go to a rival for a screen. They’re not going to take the hit on what Samsung are charging, that gets passed on to you and me.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
There’s many that would claim iOS is terrible and has been for a few generations, I’m not 100% one of them but I don’t think it’s as good as it can be, moreso when the X comes out.

As for a comparison, I’ve been on ios11 on my 6s for about 4 months now and it’s not slow enough for me to consider changing (I would if there was something better on offer but the 8 and the X just don’t cut it) unless I compare an 8 directly next to my 6s I’m not going to feel “how slow it is” because in reality it’s not and I think a lot of people are thinking that these days.

Apple are most certainly pushing the price, it’s what happens when you go to a rival for a screen. They’re not going to take the hit on what Samsung are charging, that gets passed on to you and me.

What comes close to iOS?

Performance wise the 6s will be awful compared to an 8. We can run some Geekbench scoring if you like?

My 6 was beyond slow. Then there were the battery issues...

The price is high because apple knows you’ll pay it. Their products/OS are unrivaled even though Android is now established in the market.

Sales figures don’t lie.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
It’s a complete failure when it comes to UX not to mention it looks turd.

I hope it fails to kick Apple up the ass so they start pulling their finger out

There on course for record sales tho so that’s never going to happen until they start loosing sales.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
There on course for record sales tho so that’s never going to happen until they start loosing sales.

I can hope.

What comes close to iOS?

Performance wise the 6s will be awful compared to an 8. We can run some Geekbench scoring if you like?

My 6 was beyond slow. Then there were the battery issues...

The price is high because apple knows you’ll pay it. Their products/OS are unrivaled even though Android is now established in the market.

Sales figures don’t lie.

I like iOS, I don’t have much experience with others tbh but what I do know with iOS is it’s nowhere near as good on release as we used to get on release (the amount of updates we get is proof of that) and it’s not what it could be imo.

I don’t doubt the 8 is faster but from a UX point of view my 6s isn’t crippling my slow. Battery issues again are an issue that I won’t go into. Still doesn’t stop people buying the 7 over 8 which was my initial point.

Of course it is but they are resting in their laurels when it comes to price. It will get to a point where people will say, realistically, the new iPhone is t worth that money. They’d happily pay for the last years model though. Which is kind of what we’re seeing with the 7 this year (admittedly the X has something to do with it)