ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apex... Are they that bad??

d6n

Ph2 172
I've got them and I find them extremely bumpy. I actually get a bit embrassed when i've got passengers as it's like a car full of nodding dogs!

However, they do look very good and the car is 10 years old on stock suspension all but the springs.

I never really thought about looking into different shocks / dampers to suit the springs. Would probably be cheaper buying a set of coilovers maybe.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
d6n, sounds like you have missed the same point that all the people saying they are rubbish have.

They are springs, they have a spring rate that needs to be sat with a suitable rate good quality damper, the standard dampers are good quality but arent firm enough.

If you run something like an H&R rear damper though, they work well.

The eibachs are a much tamer spring so you can get away with them on the standard damper, which is why people think they are better.

Its just a lack of understanding of the relationship between the spring rates and damper rates that causes people to think there is something wrong with the springs themselves when they are actually fine if used correctly.

From what I have seen though the dampers that get sold with them dont last long, so I would avoid those personally.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
best way to put it is, stick a set of sportlines on a 172/182 and they are pretty well suited to the standard dampers, fit a set to a non RS and they are horrible! uprate the dampers on the non RS and they are decent again! as chip says its how good or bad the full combo you have is not just the springs.

d6n

Ph2 172
Chip, I haven't missed the point, I said they were very bumpy with stock suspension.

What set up would you recommend then to suit the apex?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Chip, I haven't missed the point, I said they were very bumpy with stock suspension.

What set up would you recommend then to suit the apex?

On my car I have H&R rear shocks with apex rear springs and they seem quite well matched, so thats one option, although not a very cheap one.

I dont know of a reliable cheap shock that will suit them well I am afraid mate, I wasnt making a recomendation really, I was just saying its not that there is anything actually wrong or crap about the springs like people were claiming, its just that they are using them with either poor quality or mismatched dampers.

Inferno 225 cup
Soooo to get some positive answers and soone info.

Whats the best setup, ie, springs, dampers, shocks ??

Price range £0-£200

0 being the standard setup from stock???

Answers please ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Soooo to get some positive answers and soone info.

Whats the best setup, ie, springs, dampers, shocks ??

Price range £0-£200

0 being the standard setup from stock???

Answers please ;)

If your shocks are in good nick, just get a set of eibach springs, they work really well, they are common for a reason.

Inferno 225 cup
^ Clarkey, I just drove past you ;) (was driving my dad's car though)

I want more info on these PI's. They seem a pretty rare brand when it comes to 1*2's.

Did you, in Alfreton fella ?

Im with you on this Harpham, want a better stance and to fill arches gap better but after mick (diamond motors) and my car for a lot of work I'm a little right with money.

DCI100
Not that bad, :) I intend to change to coilovers but the stance is great on mine :).... I want it lower though!

172 Cup
I have Apex shocks & springs (On the car when I brought it) the car also has all the bushes uprated and I find the ride very hard and bumpy although it sticks to the road like you know what ;)

I'll be looking to change to something a little softer I think :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cheap springs are generally ok, cheap shocks though are best avoided. Coilovers therefore fall into the last category, best avoided on the cheap ones, unless you dont mind replacing them once a year, lol

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Just fitted some PI's to a ph1 that came in with 2 broken standard springs. Sits lovely and drives spot on IMO

575465_381289771924850_1330061148_n.jpg