ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone own a dci 65?

BG 182
a couple of people ive spoken to have said theyre dead slow due to them being not turbo'd and not worth the money. any owners can confirm what they say?

172 Cup
I have a Dci 80 and It is pretty nippy, the 65 is turbo'd and I would say they are worth the money good for journey mine usually sits around 60-65mpg and £30 road tax for the 65 you cant really beat it.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
i own a DCi 65. its quick enough tbh. its a car that is more than capable of keeping with the flow of traffic, safe over taking and all that. i dont mind it. they are turbo's just dont have an intercooler. quite nice to drive

65hp and 160 nm of torque so the turbo is a really good help.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
They are turbo'd and they are alright. We have one and it's a really good mile muncher, I wouldn't get one of you are wanting something sporty though.

If you are wanting something cheap to run then get one of these.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
I've had 5 of them over the years as company cars and they were bullet proof Took death day in day out without any complaints and never let me down.

No fast but capable of keeping up with traffic an great mile munchers.

Ph1 ITB'd 172
Yeah it depends what you mean by fast and what you are comparing it to.

If i'm honest its dog slow compared to my 182 and S4 but I have it for one reason, to save money, the idea behind a diesel clio isn't really for it to be fast!

My dad has had his DCI 65 from new (54 Reg) and its never let us down, it was a driving school car (he was an instructor) and has 80,000 miles on it now, all its needed in that time is a new alternator.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
65 dci turbo'd non intercooled
80 dci turbo'd and intercooled
100 dci turbo'd and intercooled ( different injectors and turbo from memory )

they are a good car, maybe slow but why would you want to go mach 10 everywhere in a diesel anyway......

bullet proof engines if treated correctly

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Agree with everyone else, quicker than my previous 1.2 16v but again I use mine for the miles and to save £

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
I had an 80 for a while I personally can’t say there was much difference. Awaits torment :)

TonkaTruck

ClioSport Club Member
  28k Trophy - R1200GS
Spot on cars, got enough power to overtake safely and keep with the flow of traffic.

They are turbo'd as already stated.

You find yourself concentrating on the MPG more than the speed in the 65.

www.CliodCi.net

Discounted 1*2 parts
80 is the best of the bunch, most economical, cheap tax, little bit pokier than the 65.

Both the 65 and 80 will run rings around a 1.2.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
My sisters DCi has the intercooler added below the radiator behind the front grille? Did any of the 65s come from the factory with this fitted or was it an option? The documentation doesnt say its an 80

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Mrs had a 65 for 2 years, much better than a 1.2 16v. sold it on 130k to a work mate, its now on 140k.

My sisters DCi has the intercooler added below the radiator behind the front grille? Did any of the 65s come from the factory with this fitted or was it an option? The documentation doesnt say its an 80
Nope thats standard

The 65 didnt come with an intercooler although a few people have added them when tunning them up.
:rasp:

100 is the way to go. Remap them and you got 130bhp 190lb/ft with it still doing fantastic MPG!
Depends what you want the 100m yep has the most power after a remap but you IMO get a rubish power deliverery (all top end) and a rubish gearbox,

80 is the best of the bunch, most economical, cheap tax, little bit pokier than the 65.
Depends the 65 is often cheaper to buy and if your saving money not bad plus often availiable older (80 was a later version) and in lower specs

well how would compare coming from a 16v? is it worth going for the 80 then. cheers for the advice guys
Ye not bad the 65 is about 1.2 quick depends how hard you are the 65 can keep with 1.4's in a straight line depending on the drivers abuse. The 80 whilst quicker isn't that much more. Diesels always feel quicker as norm al revs they give 2.0 levels of power

100 dci turbo'd and intercooled ( different injectors and turbo from memory )

they are a good car, maybe slow but why would you want to go mach 10 everywhere in a diesel anyway......

bullet proof engines if treated correctly
T
The 100 can have different injectors but they can be standard 80 ones with more pressure depend on the exact engine.
80 is a 65 with intercooler modified boost prressure from the turbo and different injecotors
100 is an 80 with some engine strenghtining and different turbo some electonics are different sensors etc plus different type of box plus different intercooler than a 80.

I agree engines are bullet proff though only weekeness if the pumps and injectors but there still very reliable compaired to to other diesels.

I wouldn't get one of you are wanting something sporty though.
Mines done enough sporty driving to put many sporty cars to shame.

Ph1 172
I had one mk3 and that was pretty slow! Wasnt to fussed though i enjoyed how economical it was.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
wondered how long it would take edde to come allong :eek:. your understanding of technical informations is just beautiful <3

my 80 has responded well to a remmap, now sits at 105 bhp :approve: happy days

I had one mk3 and that was pretty slow! Wasnt to fussed though i enjoyed how economical it was.
They never did a 65 in this 68 I think its basically a 65 but with an intercooler.
wondered how long it would take edde to come allong :eek:. your understanding of technical informations is just beautiful <3
Ha ha otherwise delayeed.

80 with a reamp is the best hp and driving version I recon. the 100 has more power but not a nice drivability and doesn't seem IMO as reliable.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Ha ha otherwise delayeed.

80 with a reamp is the best hp and driving version I recon. the 100 has more power but not a nice drivability and doesn't seem IMO as reliable.

haha :), i heard the 100's had abit of a theething problem, the 80's where the best of both iirc, not pushed to far over its limits.

gear boxes were an issue to i think, 65 box and 80 almost the same ( some the same as the 172 box ) and the 100 was a box off a vaxuall.

had this convo with my uncle a while back ( ex ren mechanic )

haha :), i heard the 100's had abit of a theething problem, the 80's where the best of both iirc, not pushed to far over its limits.

gear boxes were an issue to i think, 65 box and 80 almost the same ( some the same as the 172 box ) and the 100 was a box off a vaxuall.
Renault mechanics best of the lot afteer fixing Renaults everything else is boring and easy.

65 has the jc3 vs the 80 which had the jc5

JC3 is the weeker box used on 1.6 16V and the 1.8 valvers. torque warently limit of 180NM from memoery or 160 I forget which. The JC5 had a limit of 200NM which was needed for the 80 and 2.0 cars. there no much different though realy between the boxes.

Funnily the 80 and in some ways the 65 were limited for the boxes strenght anyway. The 100 more so.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
interesting!

what does the 80 come with standard - torque figures ? mine has been remapped to 105 bhp around abouts and iv lost the graph so couldnt comment on the remapped torque. guessin it wont be much difference from standard to mapped?

what does the 80 come with standard - torque figures ? mine has been remapped to 105 bhp around abouts and iv lost the graph so couldnt comment on the remapped torque. guessin it wont be much difference from standard to mapped?
200NM the 80 had. Your would I guess have about 230Nm depends who mapped it etc. Torque although torque is Hp just not at an expressed rpm will be higher when mapped is the bigest gain people notice. You could remap an engine and get 0 more top end hp and people would think its a wholy new mapped engine as people never drive at the top end. This is why insuracne companies give the option of a remap wwith 0 gains as its all mid /low range gains and not top end. People rarly buy these maps though.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
200NM the 80 had. Your would I guess have about 230Nm depends who mapped it etc. Torque although torque is Hp just not at an expressed rpm will be higher when mapped is the bigest gain people notice. You could remap an engine and get 0 more top end hp and people would think its a wholy new mapped engine as people never drive at the top end. This is why insuracne companies give the option of a remap wwith 0 gains as its all mid /low range gains and not top end. People rarly buy these maps though.

had mine remapped down a subaru tech an hours drive from me , one of the 3 only 4 wheel drive dyno's in england apparently.

say my dci had 230Nm of torque now, would the box be alright or should i keep changing the oil regulary and keep checking up on it?

i know it deffinatly shoots off alot quicker than the original renault generic map.

say my dci had 230Nm of torque now, would the box be alright or should i keep changing the oil regulary and keep checking up on it?

i know it deffinatly shoots off alot quicker than the original renault generic map.
I think there more than 3 but who cares. Anyway I'd chnage the gearbox oil say every 72k when you doing belts etc. Just use good oil. If its not leaking out checking its no use realy.
what kind of figures have people got from tuning a 65?
Without intercoolers Ive heard calims of approx 100hp but anything over about 85 is IMO fresh air figures. Mines running 75 apparently although it left the factory with 65 and no one has fiddled it its always been quick mind you, maybe 70hp as most of them are about that. Same goes for the 80 there about 85 stock.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
I think there more than 3 but who cares. Anyway I'd chnage the gearbox oil say every 72k when you doing belts etc. Just use good oil. If its not leaking out checking its no use realy.

Without intercoolers Ive heard calims of approx 100hp but anything over about 85 is IMO fresh air figures. Mines running 75 apparently although it left the factory with 65 and no one has fiddled it its always been quick mind you, maybe 70hp as most of them are about that. Same goes for the 80 there about 85 stock.

thanks mate help much appreciated :).

as for the other bit, no engine is the same, hence why renault just say dci 80 as there can be engines developing 83, 85 and so on.

As for DCI RAZ comments that renault developes new ways yep its true its a good way of building an engine range make a low power one then add bits etc its cheap and tested.

Any tunner pushing the stock boost on the 65 is getting a bit risky the temps are the killers for that engine intercooler fixes it the stock turbo shouldn't be pushed much higher though.

thanks mate help much appreciated :).

as for the other bit, no engine is the same, hence why renault just say dci 80 as there can be engines developing 83, 85 and so on.
IMO renault got caught with the 65 and 80's in the MK2's engine can always make more power there a tolerance the 65 and 80's always were top end of the toleracne so IMo they were forced to recheck after all in some countires tax is based on hp so a low claim helps/

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
IMO renault got caught with the 65 and 80's in the MK2's engine can always make more power there a tolerance the 65 and 80's always were top end of the toleracne so IMo they were forced to recheck after all in some countires tax is based on hp so a low claim helps/

yes that explains the mejority of the case, france had some scheme a couple of years back that came into force for all diesel engines and the appropriate tax bands agreed with EU regulations

yes that explains the mejority of the case, france had some scheme a couple of years back that came into force for all diesel engines and the appropriate tax bands agreed with EU regulations

French use a system called CV for initial road tax. This is absed on emmisions although I belive hp is also counted. Stupidly complex you just pay what they say low emmisions = cheap to buy and no road tax ever. High emmisosn expensive to buy no ongoing road tax unless its bough since Jan 2012 when you have to pay tax.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
French use a system called CV for initial road tax. This is absed on emmisions although I belive hp is also counted. Stupidly complex you just pay what they say low emmisions = cheap to buy and no road tax ever. High emmisosn expensive to buy no ongoing road tax unless its bough since Jan 2012 when you have to pay tax.

its becuase they have not a clue what they are doing, look at other countries, its all done different but still. they do confuse me.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
i don't know really, the first one looks like the headlights have condensation inside so the seals are perished.

and the second one does'nt desplay enough pictures of it which puts me off.

top one i would most likely go for.

tried autotrader? some good ones on thier for less miles