ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

anyone had a Volvo 440/480 conversion

Has anyone had a Volvo turbo conversion in their Clio? I need a bit of help.

I have just sent mine away to be done but have been told that the pipework for the intercooler etc and the intercooler itself may not go under my bonnet.

Has anyone else had the same problem? How did you overcome it.

The guy that is doing it says that if other people have done it they might have ditched the injection system and ran it on a 5 Turbo carb and intercooler.

Another option would be to buy a 5 turbo engine/car and do that instead. Im just a bit reluctant now ive paid out cash to have the car taken down there.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Russ

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

i got it and im running a renault fueago carb, u would have to do custom pipe runs etc to run the injection with the intercooler, and u cant use the 480 radiator, best off getting a r 5 gtt radiator, and some different intercooler...

pm me if u want, i was thinking of selling my carb settup...

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

the volve 480 engine is a renault engine so actually mounting the engine in your car should be pretty easy its just the hoses and exhaust that will need modifying.the engine is a variation of the f type engine which the clio rsi uses.maybe the radiator and hoses off an rsi would come in useful for your conversion.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

it fits in fine, you will need a clio rsi downpipe, and thats it, just pipe runs etc.... the water hoses should be fine to use, appart from that u just gotta sort intercooler and rad, oh and wireing, if u want a carb converstion i will sell mine....

Malice - any chance of seeing a pic of your engine bay with the Volvo engine in it?

Its Torsion Tuning in Essex that are doing the conversion. I sent the Volvo down there on Friday. They seem to know the ins and outs well enough but they basically said whats been said on here...that the rad, downpipe, wiring loom and intercooler needs to be changed cos the standard ones wont fit.

So basically are we saying that the only decent option is to use a 5 turbo or similar carb, radiator and intercooler and ditch the injection system. If so how do I go about using the induction kit with the carb...it wont fit will it?

Just to give you an idea one of the problems is the bonnet (pictured). It drops down about 4 inches where the top of the manifold would normally sit on a 16v or Williams. The ends of the vent are gonna be running pretty close to the alternator on a 480 engine.

http://www.evilice.freeservers.com/images/13.jpg

For all this grief is it going to work out better and cheaper to find a half decent 5 turbo car and engine and put that in? The conversion costs the same and all the parts will be with the car.

To ask a totally different question..will a Renault 21 Turbo alternator fit straight on an R5 engine cos ive already bought one to put on the 480 engine.

Cheers for the help guys.