ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone after a cheap nifty fifty?

Ive heard loads about the 50mm, can anyone explain why they are so popular?

I really want to start using my camera more (d40x) and fancy a new lense

Oil Burner
The 'Nifty Fifity' which normally refers to the 50mm f1.8 is a great lens for the money (its actually a rubbish lens, but it costs £60-80). However you wont find a lower aperture lens for less money, and if you want to play around with shallow DOF, its a good starting point.

Personally i have never liked the 50 1.8, the Bokeh is rough and it cant AF accurately for love nor money.

For a Nikon i believe there is a relatively low cost 35mm lens. Much better built than the canon 50 1.8. And 35mm is a much more interesting focal length. 50mm on a Crop sensor is actually fairly long for general photos.

Cupra
I'm in the middle of selling mine for a fair bit more than that! Great price for a new one.

They do have temperamental USM motors though....

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255
Personally i have never liked the 50 1.8, the Bokeh is rough and it cant AF accurately for love nor money.
Must admit it's my least used lens too for similar reasons. What you gain in speed is pointless if the focusing isn't tight on what you need given the shallow DOF. Good job I bought it (even) cheap(er) in Singapore.

The Canon 50 1.8 is actually damned good for the money IMO. Bokeh isn't on a par with the likes of the Siggy 1.4 or the L but its not too bad and it's a fraction of the cost. Image quality is actually pretty good. It's just the plastickyness and stinky AF which lets it down. Never used the f1.4 version as I couldn't see the point in upgrading

Only trouble is that 50mm is an odd length on a crop camera. As such, I too rarely used my 50. I much prefer my Sigma 30 1.4.