ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any tips on getting insurance down?

61 Clio 1.2
I know you can't lie about stuff but you can exaggerate to a degree.
Just wondered if you guys had any tips. I'm 17 i have insurance already on a 1.2 for around 1400 i think. If i were to get a 172 or 182 its gunna go through the roof isn't it?
Any ideas or am i gunna have to wait for a few years no claims??

Clio
Oh another point. Your insurance will go through the roof and at 17 I would expect the 172 will end up on its roof.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
park on the street, 5000 miles is the cheapest per year, see if you can alter your job title slightly, two older experienced women on the policy, buy something between £3000 and £9000.

expect a quote of atleast £2500 for a 1*2 atm

Any ideas or am i gunna have to wait for a few years no claims??

This. There is a reason very very few people have a Renaultsport at 17/18. It's not because they can't afford the £2500 for an early Ph2, it's because even those who work full time aren't stupid enough to spend more than the car on insurance.

If EVERYTHING is in your favour (2 years NCB, live in a very safe area, limited mileage, massive (i.e. £1100 overall) excess, clean license, older women/mum/sister on policy, use of another car, no mods, decent value car, no claims, no accidents, fully comp...) then at 19 you can expect (if you were that age now, who knows what it'll be if insurance continues to rise at xx% a year) to pay around £1350 absolute minimum for a 182.

£1400 seems very cheap at 17 even for a 1.2, I assume you're either fronting or already have your parents added on your policy? It's not uncommon for 17 y/o to be paying £2000 to £3000 to insure a first car.

All I can say is thank f*** I put that few £k into a savings account, didn't touch it, and bought a 182 the day after I got my 2yr NCB. I can't describe how worthwhile the wait is when you see a 182 on the drive, and it's actually yours, a few months after your 19th birthday.

Mk1 Focus RS
id wait personally mate, i bet you would be getting quotes between 3000-4000 pound on a 1*2, insurance is daft at the minute.

im 22 (nearly 23) and i pay 1400 fully comp on a 182 with 1 year NCB.

just save for a couple of years whilst driving the 1.2 and the wait will be worth it.

Listerine & Poledo
Forget getting anything remotely sporty for several years (and I mean more than 3).

Insurance will be high for you, that's just the way it is.

All you can really do is drive safe, don't waste money on "modifying" (as this'll only push your insurance up higher or, if you don't declare them, make your insurance invalid) and generally not try to run before you can walk.

Besides, you'll appreciate a better car much more if you've been in a jalopy for a few years.

If it makes you feel any more fortunate, my first car was a 1.5 (no turbo) diesel entriest-level corsa, it cost £1800 for my first year. after 5 years of claim- and points-free motoring I could get the car I wanted (a V6 MX-3) for £800 a year.

RB 182 FF
All good things come to those who wait! I wouldn't part with thousands to get insured no matter what car it is.... unless I won the lottery of course... I'm 28 and I have my first 182, owned it for about a month now and I can tell you you'd more than likely end up through a hedge at 17 in a 172/182!!! We've all been 17 and I remember how brain dead I used to be behind the wheel and the 182 is plenty quick enough to catch you out....... Enjoy ur 1.2 and build up experience and NCB and treat urself in a few years!;)

Dont walk untill you can run fella.

Get some experience of driving before killing yourself in a 182.

Nevermind the worst happening, if you love cars it's just not worth your car-related life coming crashing down at such a young age.

Thanks to myself writing off a 182 at 19, I'm now back to the start (0 NCB) and I have a write off claim on a high risk hot hatch. Though I'm becoming old enough to have the flexability & money for an interesting car, I just refuse to pay the daft insurance on a fast car. Whilst all my friends are now getting quick & interesting cars, I'm going to be around 23/24 before my insurance returns to "normal."

Of course that's true crashing a 1.2, but financially and in terms of "FML" I'd rather loose a 1.2 than a 182.

Listerine & Poledo
Lie. Tell then you're 27 then if/when they question tell them you made a typo.

equally, the tick boxes for "stored overnight", it desn't matter if you dont have a secure underground carpark, it was just a flip of the mouse.

be reet.

oh, and engine conversions are different to modifications IIRC

Impreza Wagon
I found it annoying that quotes came out lower if your car is parked on the street rather than a garage/driveway! My main money saving tip as already mentioned is adding your parents onto your insurance.

1.2 Mk2 Clio P1
Interesting that you're only paying £1400 for a 1.2. Best quote I could find for mine was 2.2k and that's with Admiral Multicar with 3 other cars added, as previously mentioned I suspect that you're fronting which is very very illegal, if you get caught then you will get in a mountain of s**t. Just a heads up ;)

Audi S1
Interesting that you're only paying £1400 for a 1.2. Best quote I could find for mine was 2.2k and that's with Admiral Multicar with 3 other cars added, as previously mentioned I suspect that you're fronting which is very very illegal, if you get caught then you will get in a mountain of s**t. Just a heads up ;)

I don't think it's illegal. You just void your insurance.

1.2 Mk2 Clio P1
It is, it's essentially fraud. I did some research into it a while back because I was looking at doing it myself :p The worst thing is that if you get caught doing it it can also void your parent's insurance (if that's who took out the policy for you) and in most cases unless you lie, you won't be able to get re-insured.

EDIT: Added link to BBC article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10241769

Listerine & Poledo
The third-party element of the insurance may well stand, so it's not going to be illegal.

just there'll be plenty of tears when the insurer don't pay out to the OP

I don't think it's illegal. You just void your insurance.

Not having valid insurance is the illegal part.

Otherwise everyone would insure some sort of £50 chinese 3 wheeler 300cc thing so they have "insurance."

What loads of people don't realise (especially in wherever Police Interceptors is filmed) is that with a lot of companies you have to be 25 to be automatically covered for TPFT on other cars.

Audi S1
Not having valid insurance is the illegal part.

Otherwise everyone would insure some sort of £50 chinese 3 wheeler 300cc thing so they have "insurance."

What loads of people don't realise (especially in wherever Police Interceptors is filmed) is that with a lot of companies you have to be 25 to be automatically covered for TPFT on other cars.

That's the thing. You technically do have insurance.

But I'm not getting into fronting, it's wrong and I know it lol

ITB BG 182
some one i call twatty nearish to me had a ph1 172 bog standard.
when he was 18yro with 1 ncd in a garage with alarm in a reasonably safe area mum an dad on policy both of them clean, one a driving instructor in a diff car.
7000 miles fully comp and he paid £2700 p/a.... 19yro 2 ncd paying £2450 an new quote at 20yro 3ncd on a 182 is £1100 = thats near to £7k in 3 years on just insurance.

What could you do with £7,000 for waiting 3 years? turbo? supercharger? track set up? newer better car?....

1.2 Mk3 Phase2
i'm 17... mine is £1200 for a 1.2 so your quote is really good considering im a girl, i had a quote for a 197 for £3000 now. but insurance goes down massively after 5 years isnt it? so unless you have money comeing out of your ears stick to a 1.2 also to pay to keep a 182 running? that expensive? like 20mpg, tyres and breaks im guessing will need to be changed more often than a standard 1.2. id say wait it out and get the best out of your car haha.
I recently went for a spin in a 182 from one of the local lads on here absolutely s**t my pants!! put me off cars like that!! haha may even get a 1.0 litre next ;) aha

Listerine & Poledo
MK.3s' aren't being barrel-rolled through any given hedgerow on a daily basis after the y0! brigade strap modz to them though.

not yet at least.

Mk.2 Clio's seem to be flipped to their roof the second any young driver gives them sik lowz n zorsts

Renaultsport Clio 182
Some insurance companies still give daft quotes even when your older mate.

I just renewed my insurance with adrian flux for 450 inc breakdown. (I'm 28 with 8yrs NCB, clean licence, 6k miles pa)

Tesco still quoted me £1,988.00 and there are some companies that still won't even quote me?? !!! It's a joke

61 Clio 1.2

Yer the quote thats 1,400 is cus i'm a named driver (My mum being the one who drives most of the time). But I was on about being the main driver on my own car. Sorry shoulda mentioned that.

Last edited:
  61 Clio 1.2
Yer. I kinda wish i was born before i was. With ever increasing insurance prices it could be years before getting into anything remotely sporty :/

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
I found it annoying that quotes came out lower if your car is parked on the street rather than a garage/driveway!

Is this true? It makes no sense! I have always put the driveway but it can be either as we have a shared house and there is 1 parking space for 3 cars so the street is more than likely, going to check a quote as it's nearly insurance time again for me to!

[edit] Just saved nearly £20 by parking on the road overnight lol, great tip thanks!!

Last edited:
  Clio 182 FF cup'd
I just paid £1350 for my 182 with European breakdown cover (just incase the ring trip goes tits up later this year!) , im 21 with 3years NCB living in Liverpool (Insurance Beirut equivalent) and its come down about £500 on last years price.

tbh I wouldn’t burden yourself with a high maintenance car like a Renault Sport at 17! Fuel, tax, insurance, tyres, servicing it all adds up and it an absolute drain on your account! Stick with a 1.2 and save your money until the price comes down. You may even be able to pick a mint 200 up for about £5000 - £7000 in a few years time so get saving!

320d
I payed £1300 tpft on my ph1 172 at 19. I now pay about £1100 FC on my 182 at 21.

Insurance is going up it seems.