ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another petrol thread

Slow red one
I have a quick simple question, do clio sports need the expensive V power petrol or does it not matter? This is my first sport and always used cheap fuel on my previous 1.2s etc. Thanks

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
It does seem to make a difference to how they run, which is more noticeable with a decat it seems.

In short, most on here seem to put v power in. I do.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I put super in, it does seem to run better like above.

I have had to stick some of tesco's cheapest in today though as it was pay at pump only :(

Da

Less
The cars can, and will, run on either.

The ECU works out what RON fuel you are using and adjusts settings accordingly.

Slow red one
Yeah I noticed most do from the searches I done, but wanted to know if it's needed in the sport model? Noticeable difference would you say?

Renault also put a sticker inside the filler cap suggesting 98RON for no reason. In short, mine always ran better on 98/100. Other people will tell you it didn't.

Da

Less
The 200 has a 95RON and a 98RON sticker inside the filler cap, and it's essentially the same engine.

It really doesn't matter, down to personal choice.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that it actually matters, but that's a bit misleading isn't it? Fairly sure the 182/197/200 don't all use the same map.

Da

Less
No they don't Roy, but as I mentioned earlier, the ECU will adapt the map to suit the RON being used.

You will get performance differences between the two...but will you notice in day to day driving? Probably not.

MPG will be slightly better with 98RON, but again it's probably minimal.

It may well adapt, but I know for a fact (and so do others) that my 182 used to run better on 100RON in Germany, so it does make a difference. Whether or not one notices it is a different matter of course so fair enough.

Da

Less
Oh yeah, they definitely run better, my 182 was the same (although never tried 100RON). I simply meant in day to day driving around town/to work etc you'd struggle to find any performance issues.

Then there's the issue of all Clios appearing to running on 3-pots when cold 'because its a performance engine'. 98+ seemed to improve this on mine.

Stagecoach Ticket
Surely even if it is an adaptive ecu its best to run it on higher octane fuel as thats what it was originally mapped for?

I have been told that super is a purer fuel with more lubes etc in it so surely running this above the cheap jank will work out better in the long run due to it being more engine freindly?

I always use super so no idea if the cheap stuff makes any difference or not iam currently seeing returns of 42mpg combined cycle

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
But normal and V power are both wrong fuels to run lol. It says 98 ron on the cap, NOT 95 or 99 ron. It really doesn't matter what you use, it wont prolong the life of the engine or anything by using higher octane.

Ph 1 172
The only thing I noticed using tesco 99ron fuel is that I was getting slightly better mpg, and my idle with my decat seemed slightly better but I took a couple of tanks one after the other with 99ron fuel too feel the difference.

Megane 225 F1
I put 98 in the 172 for the 1st time owning it at the weekend. It felt a little smoother but that might have been a placebo effect. Didn't have any effect on the MPG either.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Apart from the MPG & performance element-

I was told - I dont know how accurate this is - By GTT tuning on my mini when it was running 260 Hp, that if you are plodding about & really enthusiastic with the loud pedal & rev range then it doesnt matter what you use-

However if you do a lot of downshifting & whacking the revs right up to the redline & revlimiter at that point the high RON petrol serves to protect your engine as opposed to the normal 95 ron..... less of a chance of blowing a conrod etc etc

S

BG FF182
Mine feels like it runs better on the higher ron stuff, I also get a few more mpg's and more shell points so the increased cost at the pump is evened out anyway.

PH1 172
There is a sticker inside the filler cap that says 98RON so Renault obviously advise you to use this.....tbh people use the cheap stuff and are fine as said above but I always use the little more expensive stuff.......not because it's meant to be used but because I have noticed that I get a few more miles out the tank (back to back 2 tanks each, motorway driving) and when worked out price wise it's about £1 extra a tank for cleaner fuel :)

182, 172 Track Shed
If the car is designed to be run at RON98 then using any higher RON fuel will have no effect on performance or mpg whatsoever

Using RON95 however, in a car whose engine is made for RON98 may cause it to perform slightly worse

For everyone that says they used RON100 or RON99 or whatever and they swear blind its better, how exactly?

182, 172 Track Shed
^^^^
Actually I can think of two instances when using a higher octane fuel may cause your car to perform better:

1) Renault could be idiots and although they stamped RON98 on the petrol cap, they got it wrong and the engine was actually designed for a higher octane fuel to begin with, hence why when using one you feel a benefit. In effect using RON98 would be the wrong fuel to begin with
2) The fuel that has the higher RON number may also contains additives and other lovelies that give you increased mpg. This higher mpg though is not related to the higher RON number however

Evo 5 RS
eh?? The higher the ron the better... especially if it's tuned/mapped to suit. (In general, not just in 1*2s)

Usually not noticeable, however mine was mapped on Vpower, so that's what I always try to fill up with.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Mine actually runs like a bag of shite when you put 95 in it.

Altough mine was mapped for 98 ron so that could probably why.

182, 172 Track Shed
If the car is tuned/mapped/modified then a specific or higher RON fuel may be the way to go yes

For a standard car designed for a specific RON rating, then using a higher one will do naff all

The RON rating is not how powerful a fuel is lol

RON100 does not have more energy than RON98 for example

Golf GTD Mk7
I get not difference in performance/mpg as you'll never see this in a NA 2L engine. It might be 0.5bhp more on a roller. It's when you get turbo/chargers that you'll notice a bigger difference. I just run it on Vpower for the "cleansing" properties.lol

182, 172 Track Shed
Yep thats the only benefit I can see too, some of the more expensive fuels may be better for your engine long term and give you a few more mpg due to additives etc but dont expect a power increase of any sort whatsoever

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Another fuel thread ?

IB4TL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating - "The octane rating is a measure of the resistance of petrol and other fuels to autoignition in spark-ignition internal combustion engines."

The engine in the 172/182 has a compression ratio of ~11.2:1 which is higher than your average road car. If you're driving high up in the range a lot, a higher octane fuel would be better to save it from detonation [pinking]. The engine will have sensors to adjust the timing, but for the sake of a couple of £ a tankful .. it's up to you.......

:boring: