ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another petrol thread

260% JCW
Using fuel's like Optimax is better for your car, the additives ect make it burn more efficiently hence the better MPG.

As for the 98ron sticker on the petrol flap its there for a reason, if you chose to put 95 in no doubt it will run fine just not as well/efficient as having 98 in.

Ive seen people at the petrol pump with lambo's putting 95 in just depends how tight you are IMO.

Renault Sport Clio 182
i hardly ever put it in when i was useing the car all the time, however now that i use it as a second car i put it in all the time, and the only difference i notice is it seems to pull from 80mph+ in 4th better.

V6 255
Out of interest, has anyone seen 98 RON fuel? I know it says it on the cap, but I haven't seen it.

I use Vpower (99) or Sainsbury's super (97)(nectar points)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Out of interest, has anyone seen 98 RON fuel? I know it says it on the cap, but I haven't seen it.

I use Vpower (99) or Sainsbury's super (97)(nectar points)

Most 'Super Unleaded' is 97 or 98 RON: BP etc...

Tesco has always been 99 but it's all additives. Shell was 98 with Optimax but they turned it up to 99 and called it V-Power

Not a 320d
My 1600n sack of s**t runs better on vpower. Ive had 2 tanks of poverty in in the past year and each time ive put it in it felt like s**t. Get more to the tank too.

PH1 172
Yep thats the only benefit I can see too, some of the more expensive fuels may be better for your engine long term and give you a few more mpg due to additives etc but dont expect a power increase of any sort whatsoever

+1 for why I use it as I have defo noticed a slight increase in miles I get per tank

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
with my 200 i found that u got better mpg and abit more pull on v power or the like, poverty fuel for the abarth though as i cant afford v power until payday lol

172 ph1
i just use bp ultimate as its my local garage although its only 97 ron the sticker in the flap says 98 ron reccomended

Nothing at the mo :(
with my 200 i found that u got better mpg and abit more pull on v power or the like, poverty fuel for the abarth though as i cant afford v power until payday lol

Right ok.. So you use good fuel in a 200 where ti probably makes no difference

But s**t fuel in a turbo which if again would gain more power from the high octanes then the 200 would :s

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.

Right ok.. So you use good fuel in a 200 where ti probably makes no difference

But s**t fuel in a turbo which if again would gain more power from the high octanes then the 200 would :s

your eyes, use them

Albi 197
I always treat my 1.2 to a tank of v-power when I get paid, but after that, I just use the cheapest I can find (generally asda, sainsburys or esso near me).

Seems to run the same on everything, But it does have a sticker in the fuel filler flap recommending 98 for some reason, but also has 95 there aswell. :\

Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
I've found with mine it does sod all to the gallon on 95 ron, it's not a fan of Sainsburys super unleaded, but it quite likes Tesco's Momentum, so that's what it usually gets.

I've found with mine it does sod all to the gallon on 95 ron, it's not a fan of Sainsburys super unleaded, but it quite likes Tesco's Momentum, so that's what it usually gets.

Ditto, Mine gets momentum to. Seems to like it fine. got 350 to a tank the other week on a run

PH1 V6
I do too many miles per month to Justiy paying for super unleaded/V-Power... it does give me a few more miles per tank but not enough to warrant spending the money. I do about 1200 miles a month so quite alot in fuel money, for me anyway!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Mine gets the cheap stuff. No point putting in super when all i do is sit on the mway at 70mph for 2k miles a month.

Makes bugger all difference anyway, unless the car is turbo'd. Which is isnt.

PH1 V6
Mine gets the cheap stuff. No point putting in super when all i do is sit on the mway at 70mph for 2k miles a month.

Makes bugger all difference anyway, unless the car is turbo'd. Which is isnt.

Practically what i do too! If i were doing a track day or something then yes i would put better stuff in, but for day to day drive it doesnt make any difference to my cup.

Btw have you recieved the springs yet mate?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Practically what i do too! If i were doing a track day or something then yes i would put better stuff in, but for day to day drive it doesnt make any difference to my cup.

Btw have you recieved the springs yet mate?

Yeah, they turned up yesterday afternoon. Will have to trust you that they're in the box as i put it straight in the boot of the car lol

Inferno 182 & Saxo
My 182 seems to like Tesco Momentum 99 and Esso 97 (whatever buzz word they call it by). Total's 97 ron stuff seems to be not too bad too but actually finding 98 spec or above is quite difficult round by me as we dont have a large tesco where I live so its just small local garages who sometimes dont even offer super!

I dont use it for the ron rating personally. BP super makes my car run rough.. tesco momentum and shell vpower but run the same but tesco alot cheaper

lol na it aint.. car really holds back on super from BP and sainsburys when i first start it.. fine on tesco and shell

Clio 172 cup
I have a quick simple question, do clio sports need the expensive V power petrol or does it not matter? This is my first sport and always used cheap fuel on my previous 1.2s etc. Thanks

when i first had the car i used nothing other than vpower, it ran fine and i no its cleaner and better for the engine but i was noticing that the mpg was dropping fast and i wasnt driving any different.

i rang a garage that did remaps and they siad the ecu was mapped to run on normal unleaded so the car would do more mpg on that and run better but most cars that are remapped run better on vpower with its higher ron and would get better performance and more mpg on the vpower.

so if your going to get it remapped then yeah run it on super unleaded or otherwise just run normal unleaded and use a system cleaner that you put in the fuel tank once a month. thats what i was told to do.

it really doesnt matter what you use though, super unleaded will be better for the car because its cleaner and burns more efficiently but is it worth the extra money??? i used to think so but with the ridiculous petrol prices nowdays i dont no.

Theirs a episode of 5th gear were they test perfomance cars on both petrols and see the results in power and mpg and on the episode all the 4cars, (i no 1 was a WRX STI) shell Vpower gave best performance out of the lot but iv heard tescos is best because it has higher ron. :S

something really does need to be done about the prices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
The link that I posted ^ is the fifth gear test. Cars tested are standard Clio, golf gti and a scooby. Think the fuels they tested were standard unleaded, shell vPower and bp ultimate. Shell was best of the bunch!

Clio 172 cup
The link that I posted ^ is the fifth gear test. Cars tested are standard Clio, golf gti and a scooby. Think the fuels they tested were standard unleaded, shell vPower and bp ultimate. Shell was best of the bunch!

yeah your right Vpower came out on top but thats what i used for the first 4months and never had much luck.
i heard tht tescos super unleaded has the highest ron of the lot but not ure if this is true. Never used it because there aint a tesco garage cnear me only shell BP and Texico and Asda lol.
its crazy how petrol prices have gone up so fast, only 18months ago we was paying 99p a litre :(
i travelled australia when i was 19 for 13weeks and we had a 3litre v6 ford falcon, petrol worked out about 80p a litre sometimes cheaper, its still nowhere near as high there now as it hear. gets me so angry lol

Laguna sport tourer
high octane fuel is only really a must if you've got a high compression engine or a turbo/super charger due to the danger of pinking

Meg 230 R26 F1
Can engines become accustomed to a certain RON. My ph1 seems to run a lot smoother and i think, quicker on normal 95 RON when compared to the 'better' stuff.

I went through a phase of trying each branded higher octane petrol and still preferred the cheaper 95 RON petrol.