ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another 1.8 16v cliosport conversion

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
i think you know what im going to ask here :rolleyes:

scuttle panel looks the dogs, where from, how much etc etc :D :approve:

i sprayed my arches the other day, the colour is considerably lighter than the original lmao, so im hoping it will darken with a few more coats :clown:

although you wont have such problems working in a bodyshop :rolleyes:

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
i think you know what im going to ask here :rolleyes:

scuttle panel looks the dogs, where from, how much etc etc :D :approve:

i sprayed my arches the other day, the colour is considerably lighter than the original lmao, so im hoping it will darken with a few more coats :clown:

although you wont have such problems working in a bodyshop :rolleyes:

The scuttle we got from Dirtydownsouth off valver and apparently its the only one in the country. Don't we feel special! ;)
We've got to drill it for the wipers and we're having a tough time deciding on wether to have a single wiper conversion (lighter, but rubbish) or not.
Hope the arch repairs go well, the paint should darken with a few coats

172 Race Car
Id stick with the normal wipers, easier to repair if it goes wrong, parts easily available and would a single really save THAT much weight?

Golf GTi Mk2
Id stick with the normal wipers, easier to repair if it goes wrong, parts easily available and would a single really save THAT much weight?

Haha, mate, he's drilled out rear seat mounting brackets that weigh feathers, thats where he's going with the weight thing, i do agree though, single wipers are naff (i used to have an AX GT5!, single wiper as standard)

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Throttle cable did seem a little wrong when we fitted ours too it was right on the last couple of grooves where it attaches to the throttle body but we tried it and seem to get the full open and close with it set up like that.

ValverInBits

Haha, mate, he's drilled out rear seat mounting brackets that weigh feathers, thats where he's going with the weight thing, i do agree though, single wipers are naff (i used to have an AX GT5!, single wiper as standard)

ax GTs are stunning cars. They have to be one of the lightest hatches ever made. 780ish iirc

'92 172, Lotus Elise
Throttle cable did seem a little wrong when we fitted ours too it was right on the last couple of grooves where it attaches to the throttle body but we tried it and seem to get the full open and close with it set up like that.

with mine right on the last groove, theres loads of pedal slack :(

whilst on the topic of accelerator cables ;)

does your pedal seem quite stiff to operate beanie? mine seems to have a wee bit of restistance there. oh and can you get your pedal right to the floor? mine stops quite a way off! frightened of pushing too hard and snapping the cable :quiet:

Got to be the longest thread I've ever read on here since joining and enjoyed the lot - have a lot of respect for you doing all that virtually in your back garden, I'm pleased with myself when I manage to change my discs and pads!!

clio 172,astra 1.6, rs125
Got to be the longest thread I've ever read on here since joining and enjoyed the lot - have a lot of respect for you doing all that virtually in your back garden, I'm pleased with myself when I manage to change my discs and pads!!
totally agree, kept me entertained for quite a while lol

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
totally agree, kept me entertained for quite a while lol

Thank you everyone for your support, nice to hear other people are interested in our efforts. We'll keep everyone informed of all the latest developments :D

172 Race Car

so did I :eek:

'92 172, Lotus Elise
I've got some wiring questions! :D

first, the mk1 alternator has a 2 pin connector - 1 of which i assume does the charge light on the dash and the other goes to the coil pack... (that right?)

the mk2 alternator only has 1 wire... this goes to the charge light?

I've got a large yellow wire which I assume is the ignition live that I just connect to the large yellow on the valver loom.

there is a large white wire as well which does the starter?

how do I wire up the fuel pump? my understanding was that the fuel pump ran on a similar wire guage to the ignition live and the starter motor but I've not got a 3rd :(

so many questions!

oh, and don't burn your finger on a soldering iron :p

'92 172, Lotus Elise
trying to order my hose adapter for the heater matrix but not getting very far :(

I know I need a hose reducer and then a hose connector to connect the new hose to the old one

on DT, I've found a 25-19mm hose reducer, but now I need a 19mm hose joiner?

can't for the life of me find one :(

what numbers did you order with?

jesus lads now i know why you gave up the racing ,this can not be the same two brothers i know ,who would fall out over a clutch setup (MOO)LOL
seriously lads, kin good effort
when its up and running your'l have to bring it along to a meeting ,better to be seen in this than that hairdressers car:rasp: ,what you reckon ian
keep up the good work lads ,i keep checking the post to see how your getting along ,thought it was time i said something
see you soon ,(GET YOURSELFS A PITBIKE )you now it makes sence
:lolup:

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Right its been quite a while since our last post, we've both been keeping our heads down, saving for a big spend up coming late this month. But we have made some progress lately, we've got the starter and ignition switch wired up!
I've been getting really picky with how I want everything to look and work. Thanks to Moo's genious with wiring he's managed to reuse the heated rear window relay to wire in the starter buttton and removed a central locking timer and replaced it with the relay we were using for the ignition switch . Now to look at the dash loom nothing looks stuck on afterwards and all the relays are in the fuse box as original.

22032008564.jpg

21032008563.jpg

22032008567.jpg

Gonna be able to tidy the wiring and connectors up once the carbon fibre DIN panel arrives and we can mount the switches.

22032008568.jpg

We also managed to, by using the battery light as an earth for the starter button it only works when the engine is switched off. You can't enguage the starter with the engine running:cool: Such a clever little slave isn't he!!

th_22032008016.jpg

Just like to say a big thankyou to Moo who spent yesterday working in pretty much Everest conditions to do all this while I was off swanning around Bedford autodrome in my mates Integra type R.

Golf GTI PP Mk7
huge respect to you chaps for soing this, i wouldnt have a clue where to even start!

i got nervous the other day just removing my scuttle panel to get the washer bottle and racelogic box out! lol.

LY 182
i've got that soldering iron! one question, sorry if i've misread but you are using 172 dash loom right? if so,, assuming your 172 had climate how are you wiring your blowers up?
its the only wiring left to tackle on mine and im strugling for motivation
cheers

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
No, we've only got the 172 engine loom, and we've spliced the 172 inner wing loom into the valver one, everything else is valver

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
seems to be comin on m8 good work were can i get myself one off those scuttle panels for my new project

The scuttle was a bit of a find to be honest mate someone was selling it on valver and needed a quick sale so i got a bit of a bargain. I was told it was a one off and the only one in the uk. Geesus is trying to get some numbers together to get some more made up so he's worth a shout.

As for the buttons they're easy enough to sort as long as you know your way around relays but it would be easier to do with the dash out which is a bit of a job.

aye send me a pm wayne about the scuttle and i can add your name to the list, im in the process of sending some parts away to streamline carbon to get an idea on pricing

aswell as the scuttle i'm looking into having the original boot spoiler made out of carbon fibre :D

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Well not a massive update this one but i've been messing around with the front bumper just to tidy it up a bit. Began by removing the fog lights and the mounting brackets for them so we can fit some air ducts for the brakes later. Then i cut the grille out of the middle which left me with 2 big holes in the sides which I repaired by gluing aplate on the back of each one and filling the gaps in with some 2 pack glue.

Photo-0191.jpg

Yeah Cheers for that Jamie!! Next i gave it a skim of fibreglass filler and rubbed that back.

Photo-0192.jpg

After that a thin coat of normal filler rubbed down and The bumper's off to the painters as it's 100,000 miles old it's gonna take a lot of prepping to mend all the stone chips.

Photo-0193.jpg

Photo-0194.jpg

Cheers for looking

RB 182 Special.
I've just read every page of this thread. It's really interesting, and the knowledge and skill you guys have is amazing. I can't wait to see this car when it's finished because it will be incredible!

Keep up the good work and i'll be looking forward to the updates.

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Thankyou so much everyone your support is really really appreciated.

The bumper is in the bodyshop now because it's in much worse condition than the rest of the shell so I thought i'd give them a head start before the shell gets dropped off there for a full inside outside repaint in a month or so. But first we've gotta master the cheese wire to get the screen out then cut the roof off so we can trial fit the carbon roof. Once i'm happy that'll fit we will strip it bare and hopefully send it off to go white.

So much still to do!!!! lol

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
hi mate like the carbonfibre roof skin where do you get them how much are they if you dont mind me askin thanks.

Sorry for the late reply, the roof was custom made by streamline carbon fibre and cost a small fortune as i had to pay for the mould to be made (which i unfortunately don't have any more) and I even had to find a clio without a sunroof in a breakers and cut the roof off it lol so if you wanted one you'd most likely have to start all over again.

Sorry

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Right since we've last posted we've sorted some pretty major things out. The first thing we did is have a major spend up to ensure we had all the components needed to complete the dry build before paint! Unfortunately due to the nature of most the parts we've ordered they won't be arriving for a month or so!:(
But we have had a couple of things arrive, first of all we had a new ignition button as the illumination on the old one didn't work:

29032008589.jpg

Then we received a few packages through the week

01042008593.jpg

We got the battery through panel, terminal box, 5m of battery cable for the battery relocation and the harnesses. Not much in comparison to what we ordered but that will all come in good time, and annoyingly not enough parts to complete any single job fully!:mad: We have been reading the fitting instructions for the harnesses and it seems like we have all the mountings in the correct places, which is a bonus!:cool: We did also manage to try out the seatbelts :eek:and I'm so glad I opted for the 3" harnesses, very, very serious stuff

01042008594.jpg

05042008601.jpg

So as we haven't really been able to do anything major with these parts we've been amusing ourselves with other jobs. First of all we got some cheese wire and handles from work and cut the windscreen out, next we've got to cut the roof off so we can trial fit the carbon fibre one.

02042008595.jpg

02042008596.jpg

02042008597.jpg

Rather chuffed with ourselves because even though the windscreen is going in the bin (we didn't mask it when welding the cage in:eek: ) we didn't break it removing it.
We have also treated ourselves to some shinny to help spur us on and keep us motivated, and this is the result:

04042008598.jpg

04042008599.jpg

04042008600.jpg

06042008605.jpg

06042008606.jpg

06042008604.jpg

06042008608.jpg

We weren't 100% sure about the colour to start off with but now it’s on I think it's perfect! Its still missing the splitter but I didn't want to rivet that on till I was sure about the colour. As I said it's all coming off for a full inside and out repaint but this has just transformed our outlook on the project! Very exciting! There is still obviously a long way to go still but we finally feel like we are getting closer to rubber stamping the shell as ready for paint!
Thanks for looking