ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Am I the only one who doesn't realy care about cars?

Lotus Elise 111R
Can't really imagine life without cars...what to buy next etc. Love the whole experience.

I do not "thrash" my cars, but after a good swift drive home, late at night, I get home, put the car in the garage, I can then spend a couple of minutes enjoying the "ting ting ting" sound the car makes as it cools down (exhaust I think it is). Very satisfying

Nothing major, but sometimes it is the small things in life that you enjoy

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
i love cars, always have done.
but now im calling an end to my modding of it for a while , cant continue throwing money at it like it is , i want to throw money at something else insted lol

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
I am kinda the same about the modding thing. I refuse to mod my car because at the end of the day its just a Clio and secondly I would rather save my money for something better.
I wouldn't say I am massively into cars these days but I do enjoy watching motorsport/trackdays etc.

williams and trophy
well. depends really. the mrs dci .i feel the same as u edde. its s**t slow, uncomfy as f**k, handles like a jelly...but its great for throwin the kids in an not bothering about where they put their feet/spill their drink.

the williams es however.......well diffrent stories even with these 2.

0159.....thats me baby...still stands me at less than 8k in the last 5 years+(inc. purchase price and all mods) but also a car that will never get sold on by me, has everything it needs to keep it running sweet etc etc. love driving it.always have.

and now...0051 lol. picked up cheap...modded really cheap....williams 1 on bodies/ cams/ big valve head etc.stands me at less than a grand (inclusive of purchase price of car). and tbh.i dont really care what it looks like, i abuse it more so than any of the other cars/van i have, but then it owes me nothing really, apart from my labour

the van...this i really dont give a s**t about lol.....let the kids wash it at weekend....1st time since it was new....06 plate lol. gets loadsa grief, kerbs dont bother it.but i hate driving it, its that slow its almost dangerous lol

as u tho....i cant really understand people who spend £000's on an everyday car turning it into something they cant feasibly use evry day. iv done the whole spending a couple grand on tuning....but that included buying and rebuilding the engine and gearbox as well....but it was always done with future drivability in mind and the fact that at the time it was the family car lol

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
Going along that route. was days away from buying a 197 and realised the only reason i was going to buy it was that it's "Newer". decided to keep the 172and the money in the bank. uinless the 197cup is a second quicker to 60 than the standard 197 i doubt i'll want that too.

I like my car, and like keeping it up together and looking nice, but I'm not really fussed on modifying it. My car is just to get me about, but also to have a bit of fun in getting there.
The keeping it clean and tidy and generally looking after it, is just my nature, as everything I own I am like that with.

well. depends really. the mrs dci .i feel the same as u edde. its s**t slow, uncomfy as f**k, handles like a jelly...but its great for throwin the kids in an not bothering about where they put their feet/spill their drink.

I thought the DCI handled better than a Williams? ;) (still gotta be one of the funniest things I have heard!)

www.renparts.co.uk
I love cars and love my car, its only got 61bhp but its cheap to run and gets me about, ive changed a few things on it making it look that little bit nicer but i dont have the money to waste on cars.

As you said Edde there a means to an end.

you were asking on here last week about getting a williams....

williams and trophy

I thought the DCI handled better than a Williams? ;) (still gotta be one of the funniest things I have heard!)

lol.yep. and that was the reason i bougt the dci for her. how disappointed was i??

was going to get her a cup, but if the dcis handled better than a williams ....well...i know the cups dont handle as well as a willy, so the dci it was ;)

edde ...u have a lot to answer for lol.

I The keeping it clean and tidy and generally looking after it, is just my nature, as everything I own I am like that with.

I agree with the above, but I tend to view my car as more of a hobby than a necessity, I don't really need a car, I could go on my mums insurance and use hers, but I love my cars and I don't mind compromising on a few things to enable me to afford it.
I do get a bit silly though sometimes, took the girlfriend to the cinema the other night and the car park was packed, took me 20 minutes to find a space, because I will only park it one side too a wall or in the corner, so theres less chance of it getting bashed. But im starting to think get a grip its only a feking Clio!

RenaultSport 197
Just out of interest, if you are not interested in cars, why are you on a Clio enthusiasts forum??

I don't think car forums were set up because people don't have any interest in them lol.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I'd like it if my Clio was perfect, but I'm not about to spend a fortune getting it that way.

I tend to treat my cars like Mark, they get a hard life and not much tlc in return :p I do love it though, and have fallen into the trap of buying a couple of bits for it but apart from tidying a few niggly things up I'm not going to be spending money on it. Just servicing and consumables from now on :) Maybe.

My old 19 had a very hard life, had a service once a year and that was it, that took some punishment.

CB600FS
I'm not too bothered about how clean it is, and how shiny the alloys are, when was the last time all these Racing Blue owners changed a set of plugs, done an oil and filter change, can they even manage to dip the oil :quiet:

I'd rather have a dirty car that hasn't been washed (for 5 months) thats mechanically sound, than a completely shiny car that never goes more than 200 miles without a wash.

1998 BMW e46 323i
Edde, if you're like me it's just your age talking. I've always loved cars, but now I spend so much time in mine for work; as long as it's clean, tidy has a radio and is running properly I'm in no rush to change things.

I'm 27 now, and while the most I've ever modded my car is probably an air filter or new shocks and springs I've always reverted to OEM stuff. It's not that I can't; I've changed engines etc, but lack the motivation to fu#k about these days. 9 to 5 is the killer of many a plan. Something breaks you fix it. But if something works, leave it alone and save your money for the stuff that matters. a roof over your head, booze and women.

Im not bothered about the speed aspects of tuning (doing something that costs an arm and a leg for a 5bhp increase etc) But I love driving about, and when im out I want the car to look good and feel comfortable driving it. If I could put my leather armchair in there to sit in I would!

Monblue bombay badboy!
On a car enthusiasts website, you might be!

Hoping least one person will agree with me.

I just don't care if mine 600 or 6hp the cars the most bent or most straight it don't have any dents and goes and stops thats all I care about just rag it round and moan it costs me a fortune which in comparison it doesn't.

Maybe I'm just bored.

i think someone needs a cuddle!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Edde ya pussy, just get a blown up Cup and stick that K20A in it ;) ;)

LY 200
I dont care for it as in spending needless money on it, ie new wheels (turinis ;)), new suspension, exhaust systems etc (wasted enough cash on my valver/hybrid) but i do as in keeping it tidy looking at all times and well serviced/mechanically running well.

J

Jim NM

Much respect for Eddie and his honesty. I've spent loads of money over the years on mods etc. at the end of the day it's down to personal satisfaction with your car(s) The tuners make loads of money from enthusiasts. They say that for every £1 spent modding your car you only get .10pence back.
Not a good investment financially I am sure you will agree.

They way motoring costs are rising nowadays, we will only be able to afford to service and not much else, unless you are some kind of rich kid.

Clio 172 mk2
There a means to an end just use then service them etc nothing more?

I've not spend money on my car beyond service stuff for well ages and I don't intend to or buy a new car etc just keep it running and spend money on other stuff.

Am I alone?

Nope...that's exactly what I'm doing

Service it, put petrol in it, drive it and just look after the car generally....In my eyes the car is good enough as it is and quick enough to have a lot of fun in.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
I love my car, infact I love cars! I've been car mad since I was a little girl. I used to play with matchbox cars and scalextrics sets instead of dolls and other girlie stuff. Started working on cars when I was 11. I was always at my happiest when I was under a car or tinkering under the bonnet. Sadly I can no longer do that, but I am still as mad about cars as I always was.

I don't work, so my car is purely for pleasure and probably my biggest hobby. I could have bought the new Clio, but I just don't like it, so I'm busy spending money on making mine a little bit more personal to me. I really don't get bored with cars as driving is my passion. Traffic doesn't bother me at all, it's the sitting in my car and being able to drive it that matters to me.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
It's the actual act of driving that I love; I'm (we're?) always learning.

The car helps me enjoy the learning more, but I'm not obsessed by it.

Nor do I care what anyone thinks; so long as it goes and stops how I want it to when I want it to, that's all I need.

So what if there's a swirl mark or two - go and do something more productive/useful with your time ;)

clio mk1
i was car mad not long ago, but goning of it now, i can see the sence of diesels(was thinkin of getin one) an i drive realy slow compared to wat i used to, not just for safty but to save petrol. my cars coverd in dints and scraches an i havent even done 1 of them an it realy pee'd me off because i used to look after it so much, but hay it still works an an it still gets me from a to b, il shut up now lol

ur deluded. ;)
Probably guilty there more likly I'm just to cheap.

It sounds like you need a bike Edde, get down to a bike shop and find 1 you fit on. My friend is 6ft tall and 'tubby' and he fits on his bike perfectly fine so I doubt you need worry about that.
I'm about 6 '6

dude, you have 20'000+ posts and you're not interested in cars? pmsl
Well I'm interested, just not in spending any money chasing anything. I cn admire a huge bodykit 300hp 1.2's etc just not interested in doing it myself maybe I'm just cheap.

well. depends really. the mrs dci .i feel the same as u edde. its s**t slow, uncomfy as f**k, handles like a jelly.
Blimy nothing like putting a car down I don't find it that bad and maybe that the thing I just don't mind to much effort/money to make it doe what i want ie a perfect car mods are just trouble.
edde ...u have a lot to answer for lol.
Guilty but hey think about the cheap running cost plus since its not a Cup you won't find it crashed within a week. nayway it gets round the rack tracks fast enough realy (ok its dead slow still gives porche orwers a scare now and again) whats the point doing say a 20000hp conversion I'll still find a quicker car there so its not like I'd win all.

Just out of interest, if you are not interested in cars, why are you on a Clio enthusiasts forum??

I don't think car forums were set up because people don't have any interest in them lol.
I think my above comment explaisn this.
If you didn't care, I honestly don't think you'd frequent this forum or go on ring trips etc.

Something about cars floats your boats :D
Yep someonthing does jyst not enough to spend money on mods to the car being whats necessary to make it work.

By the way Edde, does having 20,000 odd posts suggest that you spend more time on the computer than in your car. lol
Unfortunatly not I've done just over 20k in 8 months as I worked out yesterday and that includes Christmas when I didn't drive the car.

I've spend as a quick calculation about 100 days solid in the car driving.

Clio 172 mk2
It's the actual act of driving that I love; I'm (we're?) always learning.

The car helps me enjoy the learning more, but I'm not obsessed by it.

Nor do I care what anyone thinks; so long as it goes and stops how I want it to when I want it to, that's all I need.

So what if there's a swirl mark or two - go and do something more productive/useful with your time ;)

Well said

I've 'let go' a lot recently and have decided not to be so fussy over the car keeping it clean 100% of the time etc...it has to be used and if it gets dirty and parts wear out then so be it.