ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AlexW's Driveway Antics :)

Many.
I have lots to update here when I get time.

Inc taking the Laguna off road (it survived!), Bending my towing-bar in half and having another broken Clio on my drive.

Many.
I haven't taken any pictures of the Laguna, the bent towing bar, or the other broken clio... So heres todays progress.

Its all be on ventura's Phase1...

Left the bonnet up while I was busy doing some other stuff, turned around to see my neighbours cat sat in the engine bay, looking at me like I was the stupid one. Moved before I could get a decent pic though!
84CAC8F9-1D69-4DDA-B03E-2B9C72709896_zps2de20zls.jpg

In a rough list of what I've done on it today....
Fit 16mm front spacers (looks Much better!)
Remove radio controls (no radio)
Remove un-necessary airbag wiring (leaving module)
Remove old alarm siren
Remove interior light wiring
Remove aerial coaxial
Remove all blue tape and replace where necessary.
Remove bonnet pull
Remove what was left of the bulkhead sound deadning

Also removed various other bits of wire and stuff.

List left to do is still long...

Fit kill switch
Remove second earth (poss)
Fit engine bay terminal box
Fit replacement fusebox cover
Fit replacement dash clock
Fit standard new header tank
Paint strut brace etc a less in your face colour
Fit new centre brake light

Probably lots more...

Heres the box of stuff I removed today, will weigh it all eventually.
CE476955-22F1-46B3-8338-51AF54599204_zpsrqb9y7ls.jpg

Then still had some energy... so restored one headlight, will do the other tomorrow.
Before...
0ED8BCCD-26DE-4163-B023-3A66B9A72DC3_zpswue50x6k.jpg

After
AF3F3A8B-B0DA-413F-8976-D2143E5B3910_zpsnygbcjkx.jpg

I had hoped it would be MOT'ed by now, but it failed on emmissions. Its so far out its off the scale apparently! Very very very rich. Both me and Rob had noticed how rich it seemed to be, but this confirmed it. It would also explain the poor starting, and it cutting out at junctions sometimes. So it needs a remap, which is a pain in the ass massively!

Will be a bloody awesome car once its tidied up and sorted.

Many.
You didn't take a lot of convicing, considering you offered to start with lol.

Silver cambelt cover/rocker cover/alternator brackets. Black strut brace and other brackets I'm feeling.

Hopefully Rob agrees, as my taste is king.

Renault Clio DCi 65
How did you go about blanking the egr valve out? Such as which bits do you blank and how? Seen a few ways how to but not sure if it's worth it? Any benefits or problems?

Last edited by a moderator:
  Many.
Chris can you stop quoting posts with every picture in? Its bloody annoying. Just edit the quote so its just one pic, or just ask, I'll soon figure out your questions.

Anyway, updateish time....

Firslty a lol @ the Laguna. Recently hit a pothole and since then I had noticed a slight vibration. Found out why a couple of mornings later, Dash goes mental when you have a flat tyre, all this flashes! lol I like it though.
A8A88ED7-2D51-4151-93D0-B11E31C39D3D_zpse7vhofeg.jpg

66A69F91-B154-4A85-AF85-F0DD4F35ADB2_zpsjod89zjl.jpg

Potato cam did good.

Good bend.
833C2D7E-998E-4D6D-BD70-074C5631FD81_zpskyg7pp9h.jpg

921DD250-45BC-4400-800E-6383AA0C12AE_zpsbvmtrtkf.jpg

Smashed 7 bells out of it, Dr Jekyll will confirm, I was sweating, swearing and laughing by the time I'd given up. I improved it, but still leaks, Oh well!

Next up is ventura's Ph1 again.

Mark (Dr Jekyll) very kindly shot blasted a fair few bits for me, You'll get the jist as I go through I think.

First up to go back on is Cambelt cover, looking much better now its been blasted and had a quick coat of paint
98527467-26AD-4495-89B9-3FC53348CC5E_zpsj5xmyibl.jpg

Followed by Engine mount, and the solid mount, Looking much better.
9B2ACCEA-9B38-421E-9E6A-A7F6268B5972_zpsmhpzamrh.jpg

Note in the middle of getting rid of the horrible blue flakey paint on the rocker cover.

Next was the Battery relocation stuff, It had been done previously, and I wasn't much of a fan. Engine bay end had everything bolted together and then lashed in tape, Not exactly perfect, or up to my standards at all.

So a terminal box was bought, and I set to work fitting that today. First up was shortening the existing battery cable, so new terminal and heat shrunk properly.
877C449F-CBC7-4A87-B116-6B349ABB205F_zpsqlpzxv9b.jpg

All fitted up, inc replaced wiring for the secondary cooling fan. The wiring that was there is rated for 7.5 amps, the fan draws 11amps starting up, and when up to speed, 7amps. So not man enough wire, plus it had a 10amp fuse, so the wiring would burn and melt before the fuse popped! So thats all been replaced and sorted out properly, Plus the old wire had been crushed and nearly shorted out.
F09BFEC5-C1D1-4498-B233-C849DDA719E8_zpszsjdo3cm.jpg

Corner is looking much better now. Note new header tank, Stop switch bracket blasted and painted, removed un-necessary earth lead and just general tiding. Fusebox cover is on its way!
5EEFA434-ACDE-4A98-9F95-BC7AF2E09FD0_zps4guka7qf.jpg

Mark also buffed up the catch tank, blasted and painted the brackets too.
1F8DE1B9-A20C-49A4-AAF4-C148C0EDB5D5_zpsj9yhmdx2.jpg

Bay is looking much better already. Strut brace had the same treatment as everything else, now looking much better.
628ED41D-B4E4-43FE-A77D-6A392C4DE4CE_zps0zeymynr.jpg

Next on the list is kill switch, which I'm thinking roughly like this is a good idea, just need to confirm with Rob. Will make up a nice blank obviously.
A0D2DE3A-DEC7-4FAE-A3A2-3793EA9EC696_zpspfhkykvl.jpg

Also fitted a new Centre brake light, old one was cracked, didn't work and didn't fit right, this is much better!
1526D5F3-4B12-4D66-B667-E62C3F2E7A41_zpstb3bghxq.jpg

Other jobs still to be completed inc. replacement and relocation of battery earth, airbag ecu fitment, put a fuse in the battery live, rocker cover paint removal (along with alternator brackets at some point) and a few other small tiding bits up.

Can't wait to have it done!

ventura

ClioSport Club Member
Mate. That is coming on great. Really happy so far. Thanks to Dr Blast as well! Ill pop up with some money tmrw :)

Renault Clio DCi 65
Sorry alex I've asked mods to delete the quote and pictures from my post. Good effort with the laguna wheel must of been a big fecking pot hole!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Happy to be of assistance.

Engine bay looks loads better already. Some of that blue was caked on! Looking forward to seeing a complete engine bay pic.

Many.
Sorry alex I've asked mods to delete the quote and pictures from my post. Good effort with the laguna wheel must of been a big fecking pot hole!

No biggy buddy. It probably was, but it was full of water and I sort of ignored it lol

Happy to be of assistance.

Engine bay looks loads better already. Some of that blue was caked on! Looking forward to seeing a complete engine bay pic.

Much appreciated as you know.

Its certainly looking a lot better all round really. I too am looking forward to seeing a completely blue-free engine bay, Some way off yet I reckon!

Good read.

Like the Lagooooooooooooooona.

Cheers buddy, and I suppose somebody has to like it lol. I have some updates for that, but that'll be next weekend after I've been to Castle Combe & Santa Pod this weekend.

Small update on ventura's Ph1....

To test the location of the kill switch, I fitted it into the existing blank for the radio. I shall be replacing this with a peice of lightweight alloy.
86cbc2595e502d2bc83f26d88185d006_zps09a37380.jpg

Got the door bar and passenger bucket out, to run the wire from the kill switch to the boot mounted battery. All this will be coming out soon to paint the floor black, remove some sound deadening and cover forward footwells with skateboard grip tape.
e165194dd284035eb2a45df48f067044_zps6f5169ab.jpg

I ran out of cable clips, so I will finish the rear off tomorrow hopefully, heres the rough routing, I will also be fitting a fuse next to the battery at the back.
891f3c72e240625c01dc0eb3accdfeb3_zps96c67cba.jpg

Finally, as light was fading (made worse by my ipad's camera, Phone had died), I chipped some more paint off the rocker cover, Can sort of see how its going to look eventually.
072b2da7167c30648413697549731204_zps9497fbc7.jpg

More soon I hope.

Many.
If you need some ally for the kill switch blank then let me know. I'll cut some up at work for you.

I was planning to pop in and see my mate, but if you want to, I'll measure it up in the morning. Sort it out for me and you don't have to worry about giving me money for those shims I ordered. Any chance you could pop it round tomorrow evening? Cheeky I know :)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah thats cool :)

Im staying on at work to help TEG and Ricardos so will pop by after then. Text me the dimensions and i'll sort it out. We have 1.2mm or 2mm thick stuff but will check tomorrow for sure as i know Andy was making some inner arches out of ally today.

Many.
And I hadn't seen the other replies lol, dr blast to the rescues again ;)

Too slow old man!

Today has some minor progress, spent too long with Dr Blast, TEG & Ricardos.

First up, airbag module turned up, so programmed it and now we have no airbag lights!
EAD4FF16-D90A-46E2-95C4-75E88B1E5A5D_zpsno26hvan.jpg

Finished off battery wiring too.. Also fitted fuse etc.
FEF26D76-5E28-45A8-B787-E68802810914_zpsihvhtfjh.jpg

ventura do you want me to remove all the sound deadening tar from the floor? As you can see theres some under the seat and rear passenger footwells.
B7E53B02-2324-43CA-BB0C-AC54E47BA488_zpsqetnjwcx.jpg

Also got a fusebox cover today, so bay is looking better too. Secured the airbag module out of sight, tidied up the wiring for it too. Just kill switch stuff to finish off, Inc alloy plate that Dr Jekyll sorted for me. Nearly there.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
alex subject to the size, I could machine you a panel for your kill switch if you wanted?

Many.
Late update (this is Fridays work)...

As I mentioned earlier, fusebox cover turned up... Much better!
C4666204-4E69-471D-9A0D-DB3F2D831C63_zpskgm96eev.jpg

Then sorted out the radio blank. This is just a template really, make sure it worked, as the finish is f**king terrible (my fault!), I'll get the lock switch up the right way too. Will keep the hazard switch (which I've now double fixed, no longer sticks and works with ign off!) up the same way it is now, keeps it tidier I feel.
FE6670BA-C52F-4CD4-8C90-4555DAC759AE_zpsxtppmpyb.jpg

I need to change the ign cut of the kill switch, but thats no big deal.

Next up is floors.

Many.
And as a quick add for Post weekend...

Drove up to Castle Combe for FCS, did a soaking track session, then drove to Santa Pod for Performance Vauxhall Show, due to me previously being in the vauxhall scene and having loads of mates there. The little DCi is now fucked, Outer N/S CV is completely shot, clutch is slipping when warm (had been for a while anyway tbh) and its got a major engine rattle! Oh well!