ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AirBag - Service light. - Urgent Help.

A few
Hi, i have read some topics after doing a search on this and i canot find a solution to my problem.

I bought my car and the service light airbag was on. So i followed a guide on here which said disconnect both wires and crimp them together (under the passenger seat).

Although i did this the service light is still there. I am not sure what the problem is and i cant find any topics explaining my problem.

I hope someone will be able to help me with this.I could do with getting it done today :D dont have many days off work:dead:.

Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

A few
Warren4 sent me this via PM.

It's likely to be there airbagconnectors under either seat, the fix is an unscientific as playing around with them, making sure they aren't loose. The only other thing I've ever seen is the pretensioner cable comingloose. They are under the plastic cover on the gearbox side of the seat, towards the back of the seat.

Thanks for this mate, going to give it a try.

BG V6, LY 182
yeah just play around with the wires underneath the pasenger seat. they should go off after a few moments.

A few
Tryed what warren said and thats still not the problem.

Played around with the wires for a while now, but still no luck.

Come on people, someone must know. Is there anyway to reset the airbag? or something?

Thanks.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
If the wires etc aren't helping, needs looking at by a dealer or some one with a fault code reader IIRC.

M135i
mines been on a while, is it somthing that NEEDS looking at ? how serious are the faults that the test can find ?

A few
Nt sure if its serious or not but mines been on a while and needs sorting lol. Might take it to renaulkt they will probaly rob me.

clio 172
has the car ever been bumped (crashed)?

could be a dodgy steering wheel if its been on since before you bought it.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
Something to bear in mind... Wires go up to the side of the seats to the airbags. I remember my dad fixing a clio a while back and it turned out that where the seat hinges forward to let people into the back the wires were getting trapped and ended up breaking.

A few
has the car ever been bumped (crashed)?

could be a dodgy steering wheel if its been on since before you bought it.

The car as no history that its been in a crash. Ive taken alook around it to see if any panels look different. But they look the same,cant notice anything.

I think im gunna take it to renault. How much do they charge to find out what the problem is?

Mondeo TDCI 130
Solder the wires together under BOTH seats, if the light is still on, there is a fault elsewhere in the system that needs diagnosing! 95% of the time its them wires!

A few
Solder the wires together under BOTH seats, if the light is still on, there is a fault elsewhere in the system that needs diagnosing! 95% of the time its them wires!

You think i should get rid of both the grey connectors? and solder them together or crimp them together?

Will this work? and should the light go off? or after ive done this, do i have to rest something?

Also, what is wrong with these grey conenctor thingys?

A few
I have crimped the wires together under the passenger seat and i still have the same problem. Should i do that same under the drivers seat? Or will this make no difference?

I would be very gratful if someone could reply.

Cheers people.

I had this come on a while ago in my car, my mate who works for the AA plugged his kit in and it was the passenger airbag switch that must have jogged itself or something to put the light on. We pulled it out and refitted it and cleared the fault code with his laptop, and now no airbag/service light!

Hope that helps.

Nick

A few
Is there any other way to clear the fault code?

So i should really take it to a garage and get the to connect it to a computer ye? and that should tell what the problem is?

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
When you say join do you mean your linking the circuit closed? if so this may be your fault, needs 3.3ohm resistors put in there.. mine are still on after trying it, belive only a renault clip system will clear it, ie not the normal obd port readers right?

A few
When you say join do you mean your linking the circuit closed? if so this may be your fault, needs 3.3ohm resistors put in there.. mine are still on after trying it, belive only a renault clip system will clear it, ie not the normal obd port readers right?

That went through one ear and out the other :D. Explain it for me in simple terms haha, im new to this.

The wires i changed are the ones that connect to the little grey connector. I got rid of the connector and crimped the wires together directly (Which i was advised to do:)).

I have only done this to the passenger seat. Should i do it to the drivers seat too?

Also, will the SERV - AIRBAG light go stright off after the problem is fixed? or will it need reseting in some way?

PH1 172 Sport
May need reseting but ive never had the problem so i'm not sure. When my SERV light came on because of a spark plug problem I had to buy a OBDII reader to reset the fault code and clear the display so it may be the same for an airbag fault.

A few
May need reseting but ive never had the problem so i'm not sure. When my SERV light came on because of a spark plug problem I had to buy a OBDII reader to reset the fault code and clear the display so it may be the same for an airbag fault.

Ye, i though this too. Can anyone comfirm this?

How much did you pay for thr OBDII reader mate?

PH1 172 Sport
About £25 I think. If you go on K-Tec's website its the one that they sell. I'm sure its a U480 OBDII reader but its worth checking. They used to charge quite allot for it but they price match now so find it as cheap as you can and give them a call.

Failing that find someone in your area with an RSTuner or a reader and they will be able to clear the code for you.

Clio Mk2
Hello,

I just purchased a 1.2 ph2 Clio Grande and i'm experiancing the exact same problem!

I had a quick look at the car today (prior to even reading this) and found there was 2 cables under the drivers side, 1 blue connector, 1 grey. And only 1 cable on the passanger side. The cable has seems to have 2 inner cores, both of which have been joined with 2 red crimps together. Therefore what looks a non factory fit job.

Any idea why this has been done? When looking at where the cable went, I looked at the seat belt socket next to the seat and was suprised to see no cable clipped to the side of it nor going into the actual seatbelt socket. On the drivers side, there is a wire which goes up the side of the seatbelt socket and then clips to the side of it. The cable then goes inside the socket somewhere..

Is this correct?? Surely there should be a cable on both drivers and passenger side??

My airbag light has a mind of it's own.. Sometimes I can do a short trip without it coming on.. But it's on most of the time.. Somtimes on and off dependant if the road is bumpy etc.. Moving the drivers seat does seems to make a difference, but it may just be coinsdence.. I need to spend more time on it really.

The other problem with my new car is the heater / fan control panel.. it works pefectly except it does not light up.. The demister lights up once pressed, but everything else is in the dark.. There is a thread in the interior help section.. hopefully somone can help me there too. Keep me updated Dan555.. I would be interested on if you solve it.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Try pulling the plastic off the top of the steering column (just clipped on, not screwed) and re-seat the airbag connection. It worked for me after I dropped something down the gap and nudged it trying to get it out.

A few
Try pulling the plastic off the top of the steering column (just clipped on, not screwed) and re-seat the airbag connection. It worked for me after I dropped something down the gap and nudged it trying to get it out.

Will this work then? Does the light/coding need reseting afterwards?

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
DSC05173.jpg

Your meant to do it like this mate, Stil hasent worked for me, belive the resitor is the wrong size so went to maplin & bought some 3.3 ohm - 15p each so will do them all again & see what happen's!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Didn't when I did mine. 2 second job. I pulled the top off and there is 2 electric blocks and I think it was the left one had slipped out a bit (but check both!). i just pushed it back together and then the airbag/service light went off.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Didn't when I did mine. 2 second job. I pulled the top off and there is 2 electric blocks and I think it was the left one had slipped out a bit (but check both!). i just pushed it back together and then the airbag/service light went off.

If only it was that simple... fixed bucket seats do have there flaws :eek:

A few
DSC05173.jpg

Your meant to do it like this mate, Stil hasent worked for me, belive the resitor is the wrong size so went to maplin & bought some 3.3 ohm - 15p each so will do them all again & see what happen's!

It was the grey connector blocks that i have changed? have i been playing with the wrong connectors? lol.

A few
Help needed. Have i changed the wrong connectors? is it the black connector that should have been cut out and the wires crimped together?

Clio Mk2
I want to know if on my mk2 ph1 clio i should have pretensioners on both driver and passanger side?

Should there be a wire to my passenger seatbelt socket?

A few
I want to know if on my mk2 ph1 clio i should have pretensioners on both driver and passanger side?

Should there be a wire to my passenger seatbelt socket?

No there shouldnt be a wire connecting to the passenger seatbelt socket. I think the wire is to reconise if you have your seatbelt off or on. If you get what i mean. Not totally sure though.

Clio Mk2
I see!!

That does make sense.. Didn't think of that.

Thanks Dan.

I just drove around 50 miles this morning, and the whole time the light has not come on..

Hopefully my poking around with the connectors yesterday may of fixed it.

i'll keep you updated