ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Airbag ecu reset question

02' PH1 172
Found these guys on the bay, and they say they will post to South Africa, which is a bonus.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150548162590&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_864wt_1141

Had a trackday a while back and went over a rumble strip sideways, which pulled my front left off and deployed the passenger seat airbag.

So I want to get this cleared and there is no one here that I can find to do it.

Question is:

If I take it out to post to these guys, will the car still run fine?

its a 2001 ph1 sport.

cheers

Golf GTD Mk7
Doubtful mate. If you've replaced the bag, you'll have to go in, change the code, and sort the computer out also.

02' PH1 172
Do you mean doubtful that the car will run? I haven't replaced the bag, I just want to get the ecu sorted so I can have all the other bags working and so I can get a clip fault test done. Been driving the car with te bag deployed and the airbag fault for two months now

Golf GTD Mk7
Ecu should still read with airbag comp broken with clip. They can turn the faults off for you, or at least point you in the right direction

02' PH1 172
LOL I wish that was the case. Renault SA cant read my ecu via the clip and they say its because they only have the new software, which does not work on my car.
Then another renault ex workshop guy that runs another place says that he cant do it because the airbag ecu has to be clear of faults to read the clip. Something bout a resistor that works in conjunction with the clip or something.

Golf GTD Mk7
It can interfere with clip, but you should still be able to read. It should show multiplex issues if there is interference

you could just buy a second hand airbag ecu off ebay just make sure its the same model/part number

you dont need to do anything just disconnect the battery for 10 min and swap the ecu.

it can even be off 1.2,1.4 etc clios:)

Megane dci 130
you will need to replace the deployed air bag to get rid of the warning light on the dash. Even with a new computer, because it will recognise that airbag as short circuited.

A3 2.0TFSI QUATTRO
My pass air bag has deployed also and was wanting a answer like this

So if i got another seat from a breakers and a air bag module with matching part number it will be ok ??

Or do i still need to get it programmed

My pass air bag has deployed also and was wanting a answer like this

So if i got another seat from a breakers and a air bag module with matching part number it will be ok ??

Or do i still need to get it programmed

No that's all u need to do.just disconnect the battery,replace the seat then the airbag ecu,connect battery back up:)

02' PH1 172
It can interfere with clip, but you should still be able to read. It should show multiplex issues if there is interference

well the two places that I have been to to get a clip diagnostics done, cant get into it. I wish people here knew what they were doing

you could just buy a second hand airbag ecu off ebay just make sure its the same model/part number

you dont need to do anything just disconnect the battery for 10 min and swap the ecu.

it can even be off 1.2,1.4 etc clios:)

app from what I have read, you cant do this

you will need to replace the deployed air bag to get rid of the warning light on the dash. Even with a new computer, because it will recognise that airbag as short circuited.

Ye I'm not worried about the light on the dash. As soon as the airbag ecu has been sorted, I will pop a resistor in there and get some bucket seats instead of the new airbag. Prices I got from renault here to replace the airbag were £800 for the seat cover, £250 for the airbag and then I still have to pay a proper trimmer to fit the seat/airbag etc

Anyone know if the car will still run fine without the airbag ecu in place?

02' PH1 172
oh and do I have to disconnect the battery before taking it out, seeing as none of the airbags should deploy due to the fault..

Jap Box
oh and do I have to disconnect the battery before taking it out, seeing as none of the airbags should deploy due to the fault..

Yeah, disconnect the battery for 10mins, then remove it. There could be a slim chance of them deploying but its never happened to me so I assume you would have to be very unlucky for it to happen.

Golf GTD Mk7
You can't replace the airbag comp with an ebay one without getting it coded to the car. Clip won't do this unfortunately. If you have had guys struggle to get in on clip, then it will be causing a back feed and blocking the diagnostics, although i'm sure you can get in to a degree :S. Car will run fine without airbag ecu. It will just have an error on the dash.

02' PH1 172
Yeah, disconnect the battery for 10mins, then remove it. There could be a slim chance of them deploying but its never happened to me so I assume you would have to be very unlucky for it to happen.

was the car still drivable whith the ecu out?
cheers dude

02' PH1 172
You can't replace the airbag comp with an ebay one without getting it coded to the car. Clip won't do this unfortunately. If you have had guys struggle to get in on clip, then it will be causing a back feed and blocking the diagnostics, although i'm sure you can get in to a degree :S. Car will run fine without airbag ecu. It will just have an error on the dash.

cheers dude, thats perfect

02' PH1 172
damn what a mission..

Please have a look at the pic

IMG_5702-1.jpg

is the red the ecu and that the hell is the green arrow pointing at because it had nothing plugged into it.

And HOW do I get the airbag ecu out!!

Help please :(

02' PH1 172
got it out. what a mission. a bolt on the bottom left, top left and top right, and a clip thing in the middle of the ecu plug that you push in to get the plug out.

Still have no idea what the random plug is for?

Golf GTD Mk7
Not sure either. The only thing under there are obd and cigarette lighter bits iirc. Car working without the ecu ok?

02' PH1 172
Ye its confusing. oh well

lol havent tried yet. Dropped a socket bit into the engine bay, had to jack it to get under and look properly, and while up, I decided to paint my calipers, so the car is wheels off at the moment :)

Golf GTD Mk7
Ye its confusing. oh well

lol havent tried yet. Dropped a socket bit into the engine bay, had to jack it to get under and look properly, and while up, I decided to paint my calipers, so the car is wheels off at the moment :)

Lol, fare enough ;)

Megane dci 130

Yes you can. All that needs programming is which air bags it has fitted. (so if it comes out of an identical car it will be fine) it is not "coded".

You do need to program the VIN into it aswell but this will not affect anything.

02' PH1 172
Yes you can. All that needs programming is which air bags it has fitted. (so if it comes out of an identical car it will be fine) it is not "coded".

You do need to program the VIN into it aswell but this will not affect anything.

ah so if you have to program the vin into it... its not a direct swap is it :rasp:

you can progam the VIN in IF you want but there is no need the car will run fine and no faults will come up.

if you didn't change the vin and if someone conncted it up to CLIP they could read the airbag ecu and see that the VINS dont match no biggie

Lozza-p

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
my airbag ecu has an internal fault i tried a 2nd hand one and it said configuration fault and seat airbag config fault. Found out it was from a 172 cup so got another one from a 182 that says config fault i tried to rewrite the vin but that didn't work. will renault be able to write the vin and get it to work?