ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

air filter relocation

BMW F31
was in bed yesterday morning and for some reason was thinking of the best way i could relocate my induction so it was breathing in hot air etc from the bay, i have been thinking for a long time about silicone bends and alu tubing to do a custom induction kit.

have looked into the cost of everything i would need to and to say its extortionate is an understatement!

so was thinking how i could adapt what i already have to relocate the air filter behind the near side headlight so it could recieve cold air straight from the grill under the front bumper in front of the wheel arch etc.

after about bout 20 mins in bed i had a brainstorm.

at the the moment my filter has its solid plastic pipe which fits onto the throttle body and has the air flow sensor and breather pipe connected to it so i wanted to leave that there.

i took the filter off the end of the induction pipe, i then withdrew the caf pipe which i had extended to the grill at the bottom of the bumper.

next i shaped with the aid of a very sharp stanley knife the plastic end of my caf so that it would fit into the induction pipe.

10 mins later i had a REALLY snug fit e.g it took a lot of work to get it wedged in.

next moved a few cables around the back of the headlight, repositioned the earth cable slightly and generally made room for my air filter.

next bit of the process was like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole lol.

after bout 10 mins i managed to make it fit in the space. i utilised the orginal rubber fitment on the air filter. i pushed the caf pipe through the hole in the air dam and into the space provided.

next i wedged the caf into the filter and tightened with the original jubilee clip. alll nice and tight i compressed the caf and made everything fit nicely.

after a quick check of everything, i replaced my battery cover and fuse box cover and made good everything i had moved.

a quick turno of the key and OMG it sounded so nice :cool:

took her for a quick blast down the road.

the pitch has changed from a kinda hacking cough noise to a purring beast :cool:

basically it pulls harder feels more responsive etc and rather than forking out for all the alu tubing or a k&n gen 2 i have created the perfect cold feed for my air filter even if it is a bit ghetto ;)

didnt realise how much heat was getting in tbh.
fuel consumption is down and just generally feels nicer.
get more looks now too ;)

will get some pics up later.

thanks for reading my essay ;)

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
nice one, u could have just used some of that cable piping you seel laying around where they are fitting new cables under the ground, the orange stuff aint too big and is flexible. or goto b&Q and buy some drain pipe

BMW F31
cable piping?
you mean the service ducting you lay in the ground? i dont think it would have been big enough, plus when you see the photo's you'll see how tight the turn is into the battery area where the filter is ;)

Civic Type-R
Ye there isnt much space between the light and the battery at all! Put some bigger feeds on my filter last week and it was a mission getting two 70mm feeds behind there and then getting the light to fit back in!

Clio 172 mk2
Lying in bed in the morning thinking about induction kits....blimey, I'd be thinking about how to relieve myself of the dawn horn:)

Good luck with it...sounds like a project

BMW F31
^^^^ lmfao yeah i know pretty sad huh, lol the missus was even more surprised when i started randomly talkin about it lol.
just been thinking about how to sort it for a couple of weeks. ;)

BMW F31
pics as requested, it aint the best looking, i may try and sort another way but i think it looks good and it has definately had a positive impact on general driving.

on the way home i opened her up overtook a car in third and the pickup was amazing no lag at the begining of fourth and it pulled so much better and general responsiveness is brilliant :cool:

just need one jubilee clip where the caf meets the intake pipe just to secure it, its wedged but i dont want any movement to allow it to come detached :)

enjoy :p
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j317/fastsouth/PB130177-1.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j317/fastsouth/PB130177.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j317/fastsouth/PB130179.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j317/fastsouth/PB130181.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j317/fastsouth/PB130186.jpg

BMW F31
cheers neil, will look better once i have time in daylight to fit a jubilee clip and i'll probably have a fiddle and make it cleaner etc :)

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Looks good. Will the length of the induction tract effect response?

Probably one for the China man.

BMW F31
it seems ok, when i put my foot down it goes lol, it seems to run on a little bit at the moment but i think thats my clutch which is needing to be replaced asap lol.

got a jubilee clip on last night from a mate and it looks better and now there is no air escaping etc etc :)

I wouldn’t trust the flexible pipe before the filter If you get a split in it you will be sucking in dirty air! Maybe I'm too cautious!?

BMW F31
lol knowsit rem ;)

i polished the fuel rail andy, gotta go at it again sometime when i can be arsed wanna get it mirror, just need some more polish

BMW F31
I wouldn’t trust the flexible pipe before the filter If you get a split in it you will be sucking in dirty air! Maybe I'm too cautious!?

its plastic coated alu mate no way of it getting split unless i split it.

got a nice jubilee clip on the end of the original intake now and all is VERY secure, blasted about a bit last night to test it and it seems fine, in my old 1.2 k&n instructions said to tighten the filter with like half a turn back when it felt tight, driving along and the bloody thing fell off and hit my rad and damaged it lol so i aint worried that its gonna get damaged cos i've done everything up nice and tight, even got the induction pipe nice and hot then tightened it so it would contract etc ;)

BMW F31
i meant that lol, it was all loose when it was hot so tightened it then tightened it again last night when it had cooled a little

A number of clios
looks good mate only thing wrong we mine is it has flat spots lol heres my go

SA400010.jpg

might have to modify slighty now ;)

BMW F31
looking nice mate ;)

hehe yeah mine was like that and now i have no flat spots, feels really weird actually just go to next gear and it keeps pulling :)

Clio 1.4RT
Sorry bringing this up agian, i like ur work mate!
Where did u get the 'plastic coated aluninium'? i wanna do the same but cant find anywhere that sells the stuff, ideas?

BLACK 197!!
i got this for £100 quid from simota but with the 1.6 looks like u would need to get a few extra bits to make it fit but its a nice tidy one i jus use the standard intake pipes and it sounds awesome

Last edited:
  BMW F31
Sorry bringing this up agian, i like ur work mate!
Where did u get the 'plastic coated aluninium'? i wanna do the same but cant find anywhere that sells the stuff, ideas?

hello mate the plastic coated alu is the caf that came with my k&n and i just utilised it to extend the filter away from the engine bay.

the reason i didnt do what stevieb has done is that to custom make an aluminium pipe from the throttle body to where i wanted was going to cost loads and i wanted a quick fix to sort the heat soak, and it worked :)

BLACK 197!!
i would have gone n got som,e bits of samco hose n made summit up myself n prob would look 100times better...not to sure bout the cold air feed going to the filter like????