ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Air conditioner not functioning Diagnostic

Clio Sport 172
The AC on my car is not function. There is a click noise when I turn it on but I am not sure if the compressor is activated.

Where is the AC computer located and is it possible to extract diagnostic information from it?

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
There should be a distinct "clunk" from the front of the engine bay as you engage the AC.

That is the clutch on the aircon pulley engaging - if this engages, then there is sufficient pressure in the system, and it should in theory be blowing cold.

If it's not engaging, it's either too cold outside (won't activate under 4c IIRC) or you likely don't have enough pressure in the system (or the pressure switch is knackered/disconnected - it's located under the bonnet switch IIRC).

Of course, there could be more issues there, but these are the common ones from my experience.

Clio Sport 172
Thanks for the tip. I will look at the pressure switch, before I get re gassed . There is a clunk but no increase in engine RPM, which I find odd.

It definitely is hot enough here we have had a number of days over 40 C here in Melbourne!

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Thanks for the tip. I will look at the pressure switch, before I get re gassed . There is a clunk but no increase in engine RPM, which I find odd.

It definitely is hot enough here we have had a number of days over 40 C here in Melbourne!

Are you sure it's not just a relay you can hear?

I think it's easy to see if the clutch is engaged or not when looking at the aircon wheel.

My money is on it needing gassing, though.

2004 182
I don't get any clunk at all from mine when turning on AC, or any idle speed change. Given the belt hasn't snapped, is this likely to be pressure or pressure switch? Is the an easy way to check the pressure switch?

2004 182
No. I've got it booked in with ATS for their free air con test, but not for another week. Supposedly they will pressure / leak test it for free, then it's £30 for a recharge.

I'll see if I can find the pressure switch over the weekend. Is it easy to find? If so, is it open circuit for no pressure?

Hello lads. Have you sorted a problem with ac? I hade an ac recharge at atc company, they told me system have a minor Freon leakage, but they not able to check a whole air con system. Anyone know a place in Derbyshire where it possible to check please?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Hello lads. Have you sorted a problem with ac? I hade an ac recharge at atc company, they told me system have a minor Freon leakage, but they not able to check a whole air con system. Anyone know a place in Derbyshire where it possible to check please?

Did they add any UV dye when they regassed?

monaco 172
juat follow all the ac pipes with a UV light and yours fingers to fell for any damaged pipes and youl probably find the culprit

Clio 182
Put yellow glasses on and use a uv torch.
Costs about £10 for a kit online.

You the dye stands out bright yellow and can't be missed.

Have used it today, no click or any a/c clutch engagement noise unfortunately. Also booked on a Groupon website an air con check n refill for 19£, Derby area. Will visit them next week, pre booking required as well. Hopefully, the air con sealer worked fine, no way to check it(((
0f9033cddb6210d3d0964d49aae24dd7.jpg

Clio 182
Ffs you've not even looked to see where the leak is and how big it is before putting that in.

You can't just throw refrigerant into the system if it won't hold vacuum.

Yep, not looked in, just cuz tech said it had a pressure in accordance system for a few minutes, and started going down a bit later. So I hope that was a minor leakage. (((

monaco 172
My Astra passed kwick fits pressure test and was regassed. 2 days later I found a gaping hole in 1 of the pipes covered In dye...

Have a look

My Astra passed kwick fits pressure test and was regassed. 2 days later I found a gaping hole in 1 of the pipes covered In dye...

Have a look
I had Astra z17dth, for 3 years, air con regard only once been done. But Clio, it seems had a front damage.( Have to find out about it, yeah, should really do

Found a leak near a/c condeser, have to find out now how to change it, some videos (

Clio 182 FF
Have used it today, no click or any a/c clutch engagement noise unfortunately. Also booked on a Groupon website an air con check n refill for 19£, Derby area. Will visit them next week, pre booking required as well. Hopefully, the air con sealer worked fine, no way to check it(((
View attachment 1332988

Don't use super sealant. When I re gas a car with this stuff in it blocks my aircon recharging machine up and I have to strip my machine apart to clear the blockage. Now I won't 're gas a machine that's had that stuff put in. Find the leak and fix it

Don't use super sealant. When I re gas a car with this stuff in it blocks my aircon recharging machine up and I have to strip my machine apart to clear the blockage. Now I won't 're gas a machine that's had that stuff put in. Find the leak and fix it

Thanks for a tip. I need to find out some place to get off a front bumper first ( looks a bit massive.[emoji52]

Clio 182 FF
Front bumper is fairly easy to remove. Front inner arches off or loosen enough from the bumper. Two bolts holding the corner of the bumpers on (they can rust on though that's the only potential problem) splash shields off underneath and some clips under the bonnet holding the grill section on. Take bonnet alarm switch off. Unplug fogs etc.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Thanks for a tip. I need to find out some place to get off a front bumper first ( looks a bit massive.[emoji52]

If you are stumped by front bumper removal, please don't attempt to fix it yourself!

If you do decide to, make sure you have the system vacuumed before undoing anything, even though you have a leak its probably still going to contain some refrigerant and lubricant under pressure. Any of the places that do re-gasses should be able to vacuum it out for you - then take it back to them to refill once fixed.

Clio 182 FF
If you are stumped by front bumper removal, please don't attempt to fix it yourself!

If you do decide to, make sure you have the system vacuumed before undoing anything, even though you have a leak its probably still going to contain some refrigerant and lubricant under pressure. Any of the places that do re-gasses should be able to vacuum it out for you - then take it back to them to refill once fixed.

That's a good point

Ta, yep, I m bit stumped by this part removing, due short place on a road, don't really want to keep uncovered vehicle. While finding a problem, while order part, change it.... Takes time. I'm in doubt a bit )

You right, I m not repairing car every day, it's like a bit rest or passion feeling after repair done.