ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

After 1 month my clio finally comes home!

ClioDynamique1.5dciSX 106
I was driving to work (a month ago) and this rattling noise was coming from the engine on tick over and even worse when I put my foot down. I was obviously quite concerned!:( The noise had been getting progressively worse but i didnt really think anything of it:S The AA had to tow me to Renault and after a few days they said it was the big end and the whole engine block had to be replaced! Bear in my this all happened just 6 days before my manufactures warranty ran out!

S J Cook and Sons had no cars they could give me while the work was being done so I got involved with Renault customer services and they agreed to put £210 towards a hire car for 2 weeks. So ive been driving a Peugeot 107 60 plate! Very economical but extremely boring and basic lol.

They said my car would be ready yesterday but then after I had taken the hire car back they turned round and said they wanted to do extensive road testing of it, so Monday I finally get her back, and until then they've given me a 10 plate 1.2 clio, which is better than the peugeot lol.

Apparantly Im going to have to speak to customer services about warranty on the engine! surely there should be some seeing as its brand new?!

Just thought Id post up my drama over the past month! So looking forward to getting my car back after so long!:)

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Jeez you were lucky there mate wouldn't want to think of the cost of a new lump! It's not like there's loads about, or that you can chuck an f4r in it!!

Da

Less
The engine should have 12 months warranty, as with any new parts. But the warranty as a whole will have come to an end on the car.

260% JCW
Different manufacturer i know but...

We had some engine work done on the Mini under warranty, I aksed the same quesiton and they said because it was warranty work it was only covered under the orignal manufacturers warranty which like yours has just ran out.

If we had bought the parts ourself and paid then to fit it, all the mechanical work would be covered by a 2 year parts warranty.

Different manufacturer i know but...

We had some engine work done on the Mini under warranty, I aksed the same quesiton and they said because it was warranty work it was only covered under the orignal manufacturers warranty which like yours has just ran out.

If we had bought the parts ourself and paid then to fit it, all the mechanical work would be covered by a 2 year parts warranty.

As far as I am aware this is true.

Parts fitted under warranty, prior to the cars warranty running out will not be covered under any warranty.

Yup - taken from the Renault warranty pdf :

Duration
- All parts and labour services supplied under the Warranty are guaranteed under the terms of the
Warranty until it expires irrespective of when during the Warranty period any parts and/or labour services
are supplied (for example, if a spare part is supplied free of charge under the Warranty in the 22nd month
of the Warranty period, it will only be covered under the Warranty until the expiry of the Warranty in the
24th month, or up to the 36th month or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first).

ClioDynamique1.5dciSX 106
Thanks for your advice everyone! Yes I feel extrememly lucky that this happened within warranty and saved me loads of money lol.

If that's the case then about the warranty I think I will look around for a good extended warranty with the AA or something as they cover major mechanical faults etc. The thing is, ive had soooo much bad luck with this car, first the EGR valve and now the engine, ive lost a lot of faith in it. Hopefully I can regain it when its back as I have lots of plans for her:)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Warranties from AA/RAC etc are useless. (I used to work for SJ COOKS...)

You need to go in, speak to Dan Sawyer on service reception and ask for a Renault Harmony Warranty. Its as good as the manufacturers warranty and covers 100% more stuff than any other 3rd party warranty will. Its not cheap, but theres no such thing as a free lunch.

260% JCW
Maybe just coincidence, Now shes up and running again im sure she'l be fine.

Not sure about extended warranties though, From other peoples experiences When its time to pay out they always seem to have some loop hole or clause.