ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice on detailing items please! (I understand it's been spoken about before, sorry!

Hi guys,
sorry to post a thread on this but I tryed searching and couldn't really find any answers (unless I was searching incorrectly in which I appologise!)

any how, I'm currently looking at buying a few products and accessories to add to my start up collection.
From research a lot of people recomend the bucket and grit guard (2 bucket method) I'm curious is it worth have a grit guard in each bucket or just in the rinse bucket? Also dose anyone have any ideas/links to where to buy these that arnt ridiculously priced!?

secondly as their is a million diffrent type of drying towel which would people recomend?

Thankyou to anyone who could shed some light on these areas, currently purchasing a few other recomended items also! (Including clay exfoli-mitt, Along with some AF items to add to my collecting of already having AF gear (although not a lot!)

Advice on detailing items please! (I understand it's been spoken about before...

Hi Adam, In my opinion grit guards are a waste of time. As long as you don't disturb the water too much the dirt will just sit at the bottom of the bucket and it won't be a problem. I'd recommend the plasterers buckets from B&Q. They are very strong, good quality and only £5 each.

I've got the uber drying towel and a microfibre madness drying towel both of which can be bought from polished bliss. Both of these are very nice towels so I'd recommend either of those.

Hope this helps.

Jack

Last edited:
Re: Advice on detailing items please! (I understand it's been spoken about before...

Hi Adam, In my opinion grit guards are a waste of time. As long as you don't disturb the water too much the dirt will just sit at the bottom of the bucket and it won't be a problem. I'd recommend the plasterers buckets from B&Q. They are very strong, good quality and only £5 each.

I've got the uber drying towel and a microfibre madness drying towel both of which can be bought from polished bliss. Both of these are very nice towels so I'd recommend either of those.

Hope this helps.

Jack

Hi, thanks for your reply!
if at a later date I decide to go for a grit guard I they fot straight into the 20litre plastering buckets do you know?

thanks for the advice was currently looking at the über drying towel and also the drying towels from AF & carboncollective!

Thanks for the advice,
Adam

Re: Advice on detailing items please! (I understand it's been spoken about before, so

No worries, happy to help.

I'm pretty sure they would fit however if you want to be certain you can also get adjustable grit guards so maybe look into those.

If you are absolutely set on having grit guards ultimate finish sell two buckets and two grit guards for £25 which is probably one of the best prices around. Like I said tho I don't think grit guards are essential but they don't do any harm.

The drying towels from AF aren't bad. They are good value for money and can be bought from loads of different places. The über towel is a lot plusher but is a bit more expensive.

If you have any more questions just ask

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Re: Advice on detailing items please! (I understand it's been spoken about before, so

Asda sell drying towels for £3 each and trust me they are awesome.

No worries, happy to help.

I'm pretty sure they would fit however if you want to be certain you can also get adjustable grit guards so maybe look into those.

If you are absolutely set on having grit guards ultimate finish sell two buckets and two grit guards for £25 which is probably one of the best prices around. Like I said tho I don't think grit guards are essential but they don't do any harm.

The drying towels from AF aren't bad. They are good value for money and can be bought from loads of different places. The über towel is a lot plusher but is a bit more expensive.

If you have any more questions just ask
Thanks for the reply again Jack!

From research I think I'll manage without a grit guard as from what iv read as long as you don't dip to the bottom of the bucket with solution and try not to move the water/solution about to much should be fine so I think il just invest in 2 plastering buckets and go from their (thanks for the heads up)

As for the drying towel il looking into the uber drying towel as I don't mind paying a little extra if it's a lot better quality and better for the job! Is one enough to dry a full car?
also a quick question my car is a megane r26 and I currently have the stickers on it, I'm curious to if a clay bar/mitt or even tar remover or anything of that kind will effect or damage the stickers if you know?

Thanks for the info!

That technique is spot on Adam plus the plasterers buckets are so big that you don't need to go anywhere near the bottom of the bucket.

The über towel will easily dry several cars. After drying my Clio it hardly even feels damp. After drying your car you won't be able to wring it out.

I personally avoid all stickers just to be on the safe side. Once you've washed the car and the car is still wet run your hand over the surface of the sticker and if it feels smooth then there's no need to clay anyway. If you can feel some contaminants then a very light clay avoiding the edges should be fine but I'd try and keep any chemicals away from the stickers as much as you can.

No worries Adam, happy to help.

Golf GT & A4 Avant

Depending on the bucket size, it can be hard not to disturb the water when rinsing the mitt out that the water at the bottom won't lift up the dirt. Grit guards can be cut down to size to fit any bucket which is what I did. I wouldn't personally recommend the scratch shield adjustable guard as the legs keep falling off.

Uber yellow towel in xl size will be all you'll ever need. A cheap alternative is the orange asda towels.

Claying over vert he stickers won't cause much hassle unless there is an edge lifting. Tar removers also remove glue so I'd stay away from them with that

1.6 Astra Sporthatch

Thats good to know

They really are, made by Kent Car Care IIRC and also available on Amazon for only a few quid. I have a couple and couldn't rate them higher.