ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First Full detail (Pic heavy)

So I don't neglect my car, but neither have I gone over board before. my usual cleans include a rinse down a contact wash then a full dry quick coat of spray on wax and back to black on the trim pieces.

So yesterday the car got it's first good detail:

The products

Auto glym shampoo & conditioner
Auto glym glass polish
Wonder wheels universal wheel cleaner
Wonder wheels wheel sealant
G3 paste wax
G3 detox
Rainex
Turtle wax trim restore
Demon wash snow foam
Simoniz bug shifter
Turtle wax wet'n'black tyre shine
Auto glym Super resin polish
Orbital polisher
Turtle wax spray on black wax & black polish
A few noodle mitts
about 15 or so micro fiber towels and cloths

IMG_7988_zpsbf431ae8.jpg

Before:

IMG_8051_zps4f140e42.jpg

IMG_8052_zpscd6c816b.jpg

IMG_8056_zps6b939996.jpg

So to start off the car got a rinse of with the pressure washer on its lowest setting to avoid blasting crap into the paint.

IMG_8059_zps540f29cb.jpg

IMG_8060_zps0c613ecf.jpg

Next Came the snow foam (demon wash snow foam)

IMG_8075_zps74ccf1e5.jpg

IMG_8090_zpseb6a0bd3.jpg

IMG_8092_zpsd7e4e4b7.jpg

The foam was then left to do its think for about 5 minutes:

IMG_8096_zpse6ade523.jpg

IMG_8098_zps31da7b0f.jpg

with the car still dripping with foam I cleaned the wheels with wonder wheels universal cleaner, and then the whole lot was rinsed off.

IMG_8101_zpscd3a1c2e.jpg

IMG_8102_zps50e44b18.jpg

IMG_8109_zps5c66d0e1.jpg

After this came the contact wash using auto glym shampoo and conditioner the car was washed with 3 noodle mitts 2 for me and a friend to use and one for the lower section of the car to avoid dragging grit around and causing more damage, we also used the two bucket method to minimize any damage to the paint work.

IMG_8112_zps1b9c4214.jpg

this is the car after the contact wash after again being rinsed off :

IMG_8114_zps90e62754.jpg

IMG_8121_zps66a22492.jpg

now up next I would have washed the car again with G3 detox, and then dried it. this would have been followed by a machine polishing with super resin polish working one panel at a time, to seal after the polishing the car would then get a thick coat of G3 paste wax.

I didn't do these steps today as the car was machine polished a couple of weeks back and I didn't feel it needed doing again so soon.

so on with today's wash the glass and body work was then dried with micro fiber drying towels, the towels where dragged rather than a circular motion applied to avoid swirl marks.

once the car had been dried the finishing began with my friends applying auto glym glass polish to all the windows whilst I applied a top up of wax to the whole car.

IMG_8126_zps6cc5cc2f.jpg

Glass polish hazed nicely works well on headlights to :)

IMG_8129_zpse465ccd0.jpg

after the glass polish had been buffed off:

IMG_8130_zps1f58f8d2.jpg

IMG_8131_zpsae02a912.jpg

Nice 50/50 on the front windscreen

IMG_8133_zps90c7a0f6.jpg

Time for the wax (applied with a foam applicator by hand)

IMG_8134_zpsb4e8fd5e.jpg

IMG_8142_zps70adc1cd.jpg

IMG_8148_zps25c2c9a8.jpg

Bonnet 50/50

IMG_8151_zpsacc89598.jpg

A few pics of the final shine

IMG_8162_zps7c0786bd.jpg

IMG_8160_zps44663f4f.jpg

IMG_8182_zps12e79518.jpg

sorry about the poor quality of the finished pics the light was fading and they where taken with a long exposure with no tripod :)

The other finishing touches where rainex applied front and back, wheels sealant applied and wet'n'black Tyre shine sprayed on.

I would like to use a clay bar, aswell as get some new products like a ph neutral shampoo (maybe dodo juice)

comment with any recommendations for a good clay bar and ph neutral shampoo and any ways I can improve my current detailing technique.

:) (better final pictures to follow)

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
looks good, i would have turned the jet wash up full though, hopefully would have taken the tow strap and orange drum paint off! Apart from that looks smart

Range Rover Sport
Can't say I'm a huge fan of some of the products you've used.

However, results look good. Well done!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah the products aren't the best. Also i wouldn't wax the whole car and then buff, just do a panel at a time.

Range Rover Sport
PH Neutral is a real good 'shampoo' I swear by it.

Also try 'Bilberry' wheel cleaner.

Not that keen on Dodo Juice but my mate swears by it!

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Looking good. Also, when drying, I'd suggest dabbing rather than dragging. Just in case ou missed a bit when washing. Or something lands on the car after the wash. Dragging across the paintwork would inflict damage such as swirls

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Its nice to see you're using off the shelf products! Im sure in a couple of months youll have spent hundreds of pounds on other stuff :p

S4 Avant
Without trying to sound all high and mighty, it just looks like you've cleaned your car rather than "detailed" it.

Looks clean enough though.

Its nice to see you're using off the shelf products! Im sure in a couple of months youll have spent hundreds of pounds on other stuff :p

Haha most likely although they may not be the best products but expense doesn't always buy a good finish. about the only things I would change is the shampoo as I said I need somthing ph neutral and I need a sealant (& maybe a better wax although the G3 is excellent for the £25 I payed)

Looking good. Also, when drying, I'd suggest dabbing rather than dragging. Just in case ou missed a bit when washing. Or something lands on the car after the wash. Dragging across the paintwork would inflict damage such as swirls

good tip will try this technique next time I give it a wash :)

PH Neutral is a real good 'shampoo' I swear by it.

Also try 'Bilberry' wheel cleaner.

Not that keen on Dodo Juice but my mate swears by it!

Yeah the products aren't the best. Also i wouldn't wax the whole car and then buff, just do a panel at a time.

Cheers for the tip The product aren't the best but they do a decent job, theres no point in investing top dollar when I'm at uni and can't use the car or the products :)

Can't say I'm a huge fan of some of the products you've used.

However, results look good. Well done!

Thanks yeh the result wasn't too bad I need a few new products tbh

looks good, i would have turned the jet wash up full though, hopefully would have taken the tow strap and orange drum paint off! Apart from that looks smart

I have said in my project the drums are going black I have the hammerite I just haven't used it yet :p

Without trying to sound all high and mighty, it just looks like you've cleaned your car rather than "detailed" it.

Looks clean enough though.

Fair enough It would have had a proper polish and strip back of previous wax but I did that a few weeks back so its a little soon to do it all again :)

Clio Mk1+Fiesta Mk6
it looks like a good clean you've done there! :) ive never been a fan of buying expensive products to wash my car but maybe that's because im a tight wallet but for clay bars i always go for auto glyms own, seems to do the job.

it looks like a good clean you've done there! :) ive never been a fan of buying expensive products to wash my car but maybe that's because im a tight wallet but for clay bars i always go for auto glyms own, seems to do the job.

Cheers mate yeh not a fan either really some say it will make a massive difference but I think its more the amount of effort you put in :) btw thanks for the recommendation on the clay

DB.

BMW 440i
Firstly, I'm not trolling, it's constructive criticism. Your car will look better without it.

Secondly, as you say, this is the detailing section and not the 'quick clean section', but I'm not complaining about that.

Firstly, I'm not trolling, it's constructive criticism. Your car will look better without it.

Secondly, as you say, this is the detailing section and not the 'quick clean section', but I'm not complaining about that.

I apologize for my ignorance I shall have the thread closed immediately ;), an this was not a so called quick clean. you are entitled to your opinion and after other comments I have thought about removing it but the more people complain the more I am inclined to leave it there.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Great effort, looks very clean. I do agree with the comments about the tow strap and orange badge, it would look a million times better without. (Constructive comment)

Great effort, looks very clean. I do agree with the comments about the tow strap and orange badge, it would look a million times better without. (Constructive comment)

This is constructive criticism ^ I have a split opinion on the tow strap as for the badge you are the first person to comment on that. (its here to stay though) :)

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
How can this be your first full detail if you polished it a few weeks ago? As said seems like a thorough wash and wax to me but results look tidy enough anyway.

biggest issue you have is dragging the drying towels over the paint, your potentially doing as much damage doing that as you are washing with 1 bucket

How can this be your first full detail if you polished it a few weeks ago? As said seems like a thorough wash and wax to me but results look tidy enough anyway.

biggest issue you have is dragging the drying towels over the paint, your potentially doing as much damage doing that as you are washing with 1 bucket

This was the first time with the snow foam and only the second time with a half decent wax and wheel cleaner if you look at the top of the post you can see what I used to do :)

any better recommendations for drying surly a "buffing" technique would introduce more swirls ?

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Hair dryer :rasp:

Seriously though use a DAMP plush microfibre towel with something like Megs quik detailer, topping up with quik detailer to keep it lubricated. Then use compressed air for the grills and anywhere else water gets trapped.

Good guides and video here :-http://www.ammonyc.com/

As has been said, pros and serious hobbyists could make comments about products and techniques. But if I did, it would make me feel like a stuck record (and people would still not take it onboard).

If it looks good to you, you enjoyed it and its given you a sense of achievement, I'd say that's the main aim, so well done!

Clay wise, Bilt Hamber fine clay can be used with just water as lube. And since its near as dammit the same cost as most other clay bars, I'd suggest you buy that. If you'd feel safer using something more than just water, buy some demon shine spray on shine from Asda (or wherever you can find it at the lowest price) and use that 1:1 with water.

Oh and drying; once washed and rinsed, use the open hose technique to sheet water over your car leaving few beads of water (if the wax is any good). Then, as has been said, use a decent quality MF drying towel to dab the beads. Dragging (whether it be circular or straight dragging) inflicts swirls.

Swirls are not circles, either. They're many, many straight line scratches in your paint. It just appears as circles as they are in a multitude of directions around an apparently "spherical" light source.

If you want me to delve deeper into this, shout.

02' 172 cup
That is a truly ridiculous amount of wax applied. Looks like a lot of wastage by the time it was buffed off.

Less is more..

Oh and drying; once washed and rinsed, use the open hose technique to sheet water over your car leaving few beads of water (if the wax is any good). Then, as has been said, use a decent quality MF drying towel to dab the beads. Dragging (whether it be circular or straight dragging) inflicts swirls.

Swirls are not circles, either. They're many, many straight line scratches in your paint. It just appears as circles as they are in a multitude of directions around an apparently "spherical" light source.

If you want me to delve deeper into this, shout.

Thanks for all the advice the sheet water technique is relying on the coat of wax from a previous wash then ? If you have recommendations then go ahead I would rather people would give me advice on the cleaning rather than how to change my car :) I have ordered some dodo juice and poor boys wheel sealant, I know you would recommend g5 but I wanted something requiring less fuss so went with the poor boys :) I would like to order some c2v3 for sealing aswell.

Hair dryer :rasp:

Seriously though use a DAMP plush microfibre towel with something like Megs quik detailer, topping up with quik detailer to keep it lubricated. Then use compressed air for the grills and anywhere else water gets trapped.

Good guides and video here :-http://www.ammonyc.com/

Thanks for the drying advice the drying towels where plush one's, But I haven't tried using them damp, I will get some quick detailer and give this a go !

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Just a little tip. I find deamon shine works well as a drying aid if your previous coat of wax isn't up to scratch.

Leaves smaller amounts of water to dry with your damp towels

Now got some dodo juice born to be mild (for in between big cleans) poor boys wheel sealant to make the wheels easier to clean and some megs ultimate detailer to try out the drying tips. thanks for the advice guys :)