ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another MX5 Thread (Mk1 1.8 import)

Hi guys,

As some of you may have seen on my project I have recently purchased a Mk1 Mx5 to replace my 1.2 mk2 Clio, I have always liked the CS forum so I figured I would do a project thread on here as well as on mx5nutz. Thats enough text I will let the pictures do the talking.

Here's a few crappy phone pic's after I first picked her up :

IMG_20140407_1348591_zps49838825.jpg

IMG_20140407_1403211_zps7b474270.jpg

The First think I did was swap the OEM splitter for a GV replica:

IMG_20140419_102154_zpsb3e8de89.jpg

(and found out how much of a state the bumper was under the number plate)

Next up I sanded the spray tint of the sidelight units and masked up part of the headlights:

IMG_20140419_122442_zpsb92ef68b.jpg

The standard steering wheel is quite large and being reasonably tall my knees touched it so I swapped it for a 300mm OMP wheel :

IMG_20140422_114938_zps76d3ca5a.jpg

IMG-20140524-WA0010_zps3c6e22f5.jpg

IMG-20140524-WA0009_zps01ca16c0.jpg

IMG_0144_zps919ab453.jpg

Next I added a few stickers and changed the reflectors for clear ones:

IMG_0149_zpsb609eecb.jpg

IMG_0150_zps316cdff3.jpg

IMG_0141_zpsed0a4e2d.jpg

IMG_0140_zps4d148422.jpg

so future updates list is long but in the near future I plan on making a lazy eye kit, fitting TSI's (turn signal intakes), as well as a DIY induction kit and carbon canister removal.

Thanks for looking,

Brad :)

Was waiting for this thread ;)

Will keep an eye on it, love a good MX-5. Taking it to the MCM meet this year? (if there is one lol)

Listerine & Poledo
oh christ, not again.

massive stretch tyres on Rotas?
Meister coilovers set to chassis-dragging level?
dildo shifter?
Vindi ducktail?
Massive torque-dumping exhaust?

Anyway, rant over. Enjoy the car fella, I'm sure you've alrady found it's a whole world of difference to drive from the old 1.2 shopping trolley :)

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
oh christ, not again.

dildo shifter?
Vindi ducktail?

Anyway, rant over. Enjoy the car fella, I'm sure you've alrady found it's a whole world of difference to drive from the old 1.2 shopping trolley :)

Bit worrying, I think you just described my car?

LOL!

OP, looks a good base. Let's see what you do with it!

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
oh christ, not again.

dildo shifter?
Vindi ducktail?

I normally hate this kinda s**t, but I think it really works on an old mx5, in the same way that it looks the dogs on an s2k

Maybe because a standard mx5 is a bit 'girls sporty convertible'.

oh christ, not again.

dildo shifter?
Vindi ducktail?

You will be pleasantly surprised not planning any of that really I want it to be a usable B road blast. (I may get a new exhaust but not some massive chav cannon) :)

About time you got this thread up! Really looked good in the flesh can't wait to see the future mods :D

Cheers dan yeah with things at uni wrapping up I will have more time for the car this month.

Cool. if you camp CSS, let us know. I'll be camping there hopefully and would be good to have alittle catch up!

Sounds good not 100% on camping as it is so close to were I live

Update

so not specifically mx5 related but I thought I would share some pictures of what I have been working on at uni, which is also the reason why progress on the mx5 has been so slow.

This is OBR's 2014 formula student car aka. Carly

IMG_0199_zps04f94cc7.jpg

IMG_0210adjusted_zps2a7a4d01.jpg

IMG_0270_zps40dd5ea9.jpg

IMG_0271_zps7c1ca6ff.jpg

my main contributions :

Custom designed rear sprocket carrier:

IMG_20140519_133911_zpsff64143d.jpg

IMG_20140519_133901_zpsbc93caf4.jpg

re-designed shifter barrel to get 1st gear back:

IMG_20140523_123115_zpsa3096020.jpg

thanks for looking, hopefully someone finds it interesting.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Hello Eunos Brother.

Have you attended any meets yet?

If you're into stickers and lowz - MX5nutz
If you're into enjoying the car for what it is - MX5OC

Unfortunately, I am a rotund sweaty untrendy bellend who doesnt own a snapback or a pair of hi-tops so I'm very much of the MX5OC camp!!

That gear knob is erm interesting! Where did you get that?

Loving the steering wheel. As a chap of 6ft 2 I too struggle with the wheel being low. The nardi I have is quite large.

Any problems with fitment?

Also I highly reccomend the MX5parts.co.uk exhaust system. Mine sounds amazing.

Hello Eunos Brother.

Have you attended any meets yet?

If you're into stickers and lowz - MX5nutz
If you're into enjoying the car for what it is - MX5OC

Unfortunately, I am a rotund sweaty untrendy bellend who doesnt own a snapback or a pair of hi-tops so I'm very much of the MX5OC camp!!

That gear knob is erm interesting! Where did you get that?

Loving the steering wheel. As a chap of 6ft 2 I too struggle with the wheel being low. The nardi I have is quite large.

Any problems with fitment?

Also I highly reccomend the MX5parts.co.uk exhaust system. Mine sounds amazing.

Cheers, not attended any meets yet got my first one with the phoenix fives next sunday. I prefer it to be functional so its not being slammed to the floor. steering wheel was straight forward as the original was non airbag. I am currently deciding between the mx5 parts and the colbolt system so its good to hear the mx5 parts system is good. the gear knob was from the bay however I am starting to change my mind and may get something a little more OEM.

This looks good, although personally I'd have gone for the 300mm leather or faux leather (trecento?) wheel, over the suede!

yeah it is the trecento I probably should have opted for the leather version but I really liked the look of the suede one.

Update

So another small update slow progress due to the fact I have been busy testing with the uni formula student team.

TSI's fitted (you can see a nice big scar from the previous owner in this pic)

From this:

IMG_20140419_122432_zpsd827f259.jpg

To this:

IMG_2029_zps9ffd8b7a.jpg

Next up inspired by the Diy induction kits some cliosport owners make I decided to make my own mx5 version :

IMG_20140614_105724_zpsaf2c220f.jpg

IMG_20140614_105736_zps2f811ada.jpg

I also removed the carbon canister to free up some space in the engine bay:

I forgot to take a before picture :eek: so you will have to take my word that there was a large canister in the space between the coolant tank and the intake manifold.

After:

IMG_20140614_105744_zps9e9a21e7.jpg

Next I finally got around to meeting some fellow mx5 owners, I attended a local show with the phoenix fives owners club here's a few pics:

IMG_2028_zps99088233.jpg

IMG_2033_zpsd7da68ab.jpg

IMG_2040_zps0bed2735.jpg

IMG_20140615_105319_zpsc8d1e1d6.jpg

IMG_2047_zpsb768b71e.jpg

IMG_2025_zps13290402.jpg

After seeing cars on the stand that had the lazy eye mod I decided it was time to pull my finger out and fit the kit I had lying around:

IMG_20140617_213437_zpsabf4094e.jpg

IMG_20140617_213428_zps260b35d9.jpg

So next up I have a vented headlight cover on the way to get maximum cold air to my induction kit, after that its time to save the penny's for a new exhaust and brakes if want to get it to a track day this summer.

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
Update

So firstly my vented headlight cover arrived so I got it sanded down painted and fitted.

IMG_20140623_123727_zps0f8cdc5e.jpg

IMG_20140623_130509_zps24e3441c.jpg

IMG_20140625_132953_zpsb384f132.jpg

Next up I decided that my headlights could do with upgrading so I ordered up some new clear ones with the beam pattern in the reflector instead of molded into the len's and some new bulbs to go with...

Comparison

IMG_20140804_153936_zpsac5c5456.jpg

IMG_20140804_153949_zps9ac54d56.jpg

halfway there

IMG_20140804_154908_zps622d1a15.jpg

finished

IMG_20140804_161319_zps08da48c8.jpg

Finally I had always avoided using the radio because of the rubbish speakers so the door one's got replaced and the balance turned forward to stop the farting noise from the headrest speakers until I replace them next. (oh and I added some sound deadening)

IMG_20140804_163020_zps053a5b33.jpg

Old vs new

IMG_20140804_164453_zpsd216ed93.jpg

Sound deadening fitted

IMG_20140804_181238_zps23fdc187.jpg

New speaker in place

IMG_20140804_184648_zpsbb1eaed5.jpg

Not so sure on future plans yet.. but I will have arranged to pick some goodies up soon.

Thanks for looking
Brad

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Where did you pick up the new headlights?

I hate mine at night so I will get a set of them and some uprated bulbs like you have.

It's coming along nicely now :)

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Why did you get a vented head light when you already have TSI's?

Listerine & Poledo

Mk.1 scene points.

Like having Japanese sunvisors, but a UK chassis number.

Also, it creates 0.01hp.....lets skirt over the 0.1cd drag that offsets it comfortably as soon as the car is doing 20mph.

@Brad.shepp, when I did my door speakers I must have used yards and yards of stick-on sound deadening and egg-carton waffle-board. THe only thing that helps make your speakers out will be to take all the low-end off them. Once I'd put a little sub in Listerine, everything could work a lot better.

I'd actually be surprised if the twin-cone jobbies you just fitted are any better than the Pioneer 3-ways. Or had the old ones blown?

Last edited:

The headlight cover sits right infront of my intake there wouldn't be much point with the standard airbox but with my setup it will help with cold air flow.

Mk.1 scene points.

Like having Japanese sunvisors, but a UK chassis number.

Also, it creates 0.01hp.....lets skirt over the 0.1cd drag that offsets it comfortably as soon as the car is doing 20mph.

@Brad.shepp, when I did my door speakers I must have used yards and yards of stick-on sound deadening and egg-carton waffle-board. THe only thing that helps make your speakers out will be to take all the low-end off them. Once I'd put a little sub in Listerine, everything could work a lot better.

I'd actually be surprised if the twin-cone jobbies you just fitted are any better than the Pioneer 3-ways. Or had the old ones blown?

not sure if insulting of just joking around ?? it's import just to clarify ! the three ways hadn't blown but were definitely past there best, as for more ICE I'm not to bothered about it as it is more for long journey comfort as I don't bother with the radio on short trips.

Great read. I'd love one to tinker on

Thanks, I have really enjoyed it so far and it has proved much easier to work on compared to the clio.

Listerine & Poledo
I don't really go in on the modded Mk.1 scene, nothing personal.
Not trolling about the speakers, I've got components and some tiny rear-fill speakers in my MX5. To be honest, when Id just swapped the standard front speakers out (and headunit) then there wasn't a huge difference. It was only after I got the sub in place and could tinker with filters that I could reasonably hear things at motorway speeds.
I have totally filled the doors with foam and deadening sheets too. I'm sure some had fallen off and is fouling the window :/
These should be way easier than a Clio, other than changing the suspension (according to Scrooge).
It's all old 80s tech, so nothing too fancy to go wrong

Fair enough, I have thought about a sub but struggling to think where to put it (behind the passenger seat I guess). I think some more deadening will be in order and some upgrades in the headrests. I have loved working on it so far as you say it is more simple and logicallly assembled unlike Renaults.