ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First attempts at detailing (LY 182 content)

E85 3.0i
Hello detailing people.

As my van snapped a gear linkage bracket yesterday, I was 'working from home' today... so it was time to clean the Clio.

Disclaimer - I'm quite new to this, so if anything the wrong way round/incorrect please do let me know :) All criticism taken as constructive (except yellow is for gheys etc. etc. yawn).

A few befores, the car hadn't been cleaned for a while

4f3d0abf.jpg

da586392.jpg

ee2e8f5b.jpg

2ce95c68.jpg

d6474423.jpg

It appears the local birds like yellow

4a0d1665.jpg

And this was today's arsenal

22d8a08b.jpg

774fbc0f.jpg

Started by rinsing the car using the pressure washer with no nozzle attached so nice and low pressure

20051622.jpg

..then foamed (I cannot remember for the life of me what foam mix this is)

4c2068a1.jpg

nooks and crannies were aggitated and foam was left to soak and drip off for around 10 mins then rinsed

4d6e5b61.jpg

6a79fdb4.jpg

f82cfe0a.jpg

fdd3ae3c.jpg

Important time now... game pie and a cuppa al fresco

426334d8.jpg

After that, wash time. Using the 2BM, grit guard in the main wash bucket and Dodo's BTBM shampoo

687dde6d.jpg

Applied with an i4d synthetic wool wash mitt x 2 (top/bottom)

c575e20e.jpg

9f3e3049.jpg

9f21aa39.jpg

Then rinsed at low pressure and dried using i4d uber blue towels

461757bc.jpg

Next came the clay. I don't know a fat lot about this, but from what I've read on here the i4d lime clay seemed to be good enough for the novice, so that was today's choice. Lube used was Dodo's Born Slippy. I will now illustrate this by taking a picture

7ea823f9.jpg

Roof wasn't too bad

e5784d86.jpg

Drivers door bottoms we're quite contaminated as I expected

6afd9c13.jpg

But by far the worst part was the boot

0a85355c.jpg

Once the whole car had been clayed, it was washed, rinsed and dried as before

6979e8e1.jpg

Now to something I'd never used before, Iron-X. I couldn't find this in stock anywhere, so ended up buying the 'eco-pack' and using in a spray bottle with a chemical resistant head.

9b5e79d5.jpg

1b8a7094.jpg

8f0d535f.jpg

Wasn't anywhere near as contaminated as I expected it to be, I did wonder if I'd made a massive error (once I came to the wheels I realised I had not)

Left for 3-4 mins and rinsed off, lovely job.

e402a0b9.jpg

I hadn't realised how tired my bullets are looking, but hopefully by the end of the week my carbon ones will be ready from Chris Powell on here (Carbon Central)

54f6d4ee.jpg

Pt. 2 to follow imminently

E85 3.0i
Next to tackle was the wheels. They are trophy turini's, originally from No. 007. They do need a refurb ideally, but I thought I'd see what I could do with them.

Valet Pro Bilberry was used (4:1), along with the silverline wheel/alloy brush (cheapskate I know, I didn't buy the EZ detail)

c15a9bea.jpg

Bilberry was left to dwell for a minute, aggitated with brush then rinsed...really impressed.

Decided to Iron-X the wheels, and so glad I did... jesus!!!!

592106e0.jpg

31e71840.jpg

e43e11f6.jpg

Boom, couldn't believe how much crap came off

90416c09.jpg

This was my version of working from home... :cool:

49cdb07e.jpg

Shuts we're cleaned using Megs APC 5:1 and a Valet Pro brush

2f6ed5b2.jpg

a9035533.jpg

93cc37dc.jpg

Next was tyres

From

aa6b9809.jpg

Using (How nice does this smell?!?!?!)

1a072708.jpg

To

4d9ccdac.jpg

Exhaust was given a going over with wire wool and autosol but frankly I got bored so it's not a great result haha

8da4c2ed.jpg

3fcacde6.jpg

Polish used was AG SRP, applied with a foam pad and removed with an i4d plush microfibre

166567e8.jpg

ee8eb568.jpg

14a46701.jpg

f3803d89.jpg

And finally the car was waxed using AG HD Wax and the supplied applicators and cloth

abb92bba.jpg

Left to cure for 10-15 mins

aef39fc5.jpg

8382dcd3.jpg

75a6b2cf.jpg

Finally a few afters:

c8de5a3f.jpg

5dc58efb.jpg

48e5c7ad.jpg

8cacce1d.jpg

77b7114d.jpg

0bb42a85.jpg

25b24ba7.jpg

c13e6a0f.jpg

9648e22e.jpg

Sorry for all the pictures, I got a bit carried away. I'm happy with the results, and always open to what I can do better next time :)

Fiesta ST-3
Good effort mate!

I'm very much just starting my detailing adventure, but from my experience - I moved to using AF rejuvenate and Tough coat from AG SPR and HD wax, the quality of the AF products really make a big difference IMO.

Have you thought about a Glaze?

The worst part is you get it looking good and then you don't want to get it dirty after all the hard work I keep putting mine in the garage overnight but its still gradually getting dirty from the weekly commute. Car looks great though good job my exhaust is in a worst state than yours ben using 80 grit paper and its still got a way to go but like you got bored will get there eventually.

182 Cup
Good write up this, and the car looks sweet, I'm just getting into the detailing as well, just out of interest what did you use to apply the tyre gel?
Gonna have to try some of this ironx stuff too.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Looks good mate.

Just a few things... In the future... Tar remover (Tardis) - Iron X - clay. Also maybe look into something like Prima Amigo next time instead of SRP. SRP is a very good product but it's very old school. The likes of AF rejuvenate is a more modern bettered version. And Amigo is a very good glaze that should be used before the wax.

When waxing do a panel or 2 at a time. It'll be a lot easier to remove. 5 minutes cure time is reet. Nice job.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
As said above, good work there. also as said above, try and use the iron x before the clay next time it will make claying a lot easier. also try and use some tar remover, same principle as iron x use before clay and it will get rid of most of the tar therefore making the claying process easier.

Damn you Gally, you beat me to it with the tar remover.

not bad for a beginner! agree with gally, wax 2 panels, go back and remove first one etc etc. You don't realise how bad your paint is until you use clay and iron x :D Looking really good tho!

Mk3 Megane 250
Looks good mate.

Just a few things... In the future... Tar remover (Tardis) - Iron X - clay. Also maybe look into something like Prima Amigo next time instead of SRP. SRP is a very good product but it's very old school. The likes of AF rejuvenate is a more modern bettered version. And Amigo is a very good glaze that should be used before the wax.

When waxing do a panel or 2 at a time. It'll be a lot easier to remove. 5 minutes cure time is reet. Nice job.
+1

E85 3.0i
Thanks for all the comments and words of wisdom guys, really appreciated. Will look into getting some tardis and other polish/glazes. I had a feeling I'd done the Iron-X/Claying the wrong way round, when I think what the products do that should be pretty obvious 2bh!!!

Good write up this, and the car looks sweet, I'm just getting into the detailing as well, just out of interest what did you use to apply the tyre gel?
Gonna have to try some of this ironx stuff too.

I just used a sponge

Clio 182
Car looks fantastic mate, I really want a 'ghey' liquid yellow 182! Best colour by a mile imo!

Ly Megane 230 F1
brilliant work mate :)... picking up my LY 182 this saturday and looking at your thread here makes me even more excited..all the hard work is worth it,really shows how nice the colour is

E85 3.0i
Yellow is gay :rasp: nice to see some new pics of it :) it looks awesome mate!

Oh yes mate, got your name all over it this :p

brilliant work mate :)... picking up my LY 182 this saturday and looking at your thread here makes me even more excited..all the hard work is worth it,really shows how nice the colour is

Cheers pal, good choice in colour ;) Need to get some proper photos of it rather than just on the drive. Spent 5 hours on it this afternoon and still need to do the interior!!!! Better than working...

Ly Megane 230 F1
il be doing the same to mine :)..are you a member on detailing world? when i pick mine up itl get a proper good clean so il upload some photos so we can gaze at our yellow gems!haha

Non Sport Megane
WOW! looks beautiful buddy! i must start to put together a detailing/cleaning kit! as i just havnt got time at the moment! and jsut pay a valeter friend to clean mine!

I noticed something reading that, you put your grit gaurd in your main wash bucket.

Now I've been putting mine in the rinse bucket. Is this wrong? :eek:

Grit guard in both wash and rinse bucket for me :cool:

Great work there mate, looks brilliant, I know someone pointed it out on the last page, but make sure you Iron-X before claying :)

Finished result looks brilliant too, paint looks very nice :)

Lovely. As Gally has stated, a few things the wrong way around, but this hobby is all about a learning curve. The car itself is super!

If I may add, next time, try using a damp applicator to apply the wax and use what seems like far too little product. You'll be surprised how far it spreads and how much easier it is to remove.

KTM 990 SD / S60 D5
Looks really good mate using a detailing spray like Poorboys Quick Detailer Plus after every wash will help keep the contaminates at bay and keep it looking great.