ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

advice needed!

172 Cup
right guys i got a decat system and viper running through the fog light! had this for a while now but think iv been a bit naive thinking that slap this on and lets go faster! It feels like its sucking to much air in and a bit of lag, doesnt feel like its lowing freely!

I have been reading some posts on here for a while and it appears tht i need to get my arse to rstuning or somewhere like tht!

I wouldnt be surprised if it has lost power as it feels!

So i need advice on the situation and some knowledge of chanigng the fuel and air ratio and basically getting the optimum set up for the car!!

03 RS clio 172 flameR
your car would only take in as much air as it needs, any more air then the ecu would modify the fuel ratio accordingly.

172 5HED
any more air then the ecu would modify the fuel ratio accordingly.

Mine didnt, my airbox made mine run that lean it nearly went pop mate!! :eek:

so much so it was 16BHP down too!

Go see paul like I did!! more power but also an engine still intact!

172 5HED
Rich, no it was an aftermarket one!!

Jonathen, so did I but its the only thing that cahnged so it muct not adjust as its meant to otherwise I wouldnt have had the prob!!

Ph1
Standard ECU can run aftermarket cams without mapping but theres a difference between self adjusting / coping and altering the map to smooth it out and actually give gains?

Mapping session will iron out any lean and flat bits. Worth doing imo

03 RS clio 172 flameR
then it must be somthing faulty as you can take the air filter off all together so ther is nothing holding back the flow and it should still run fine! in my saxo i had the filter fall off in the bay and didnt know for a week and it run fine. maybe this is a feature of the 197 but that wouldnt make sense. the lamdba sensor in the zorst is wher the reading would come from and the ECU would then pass back, if the 197 has a lambda sensor, (which it has by law) then it should modify the fuel mixure. you may find your lambda sensor if faulty but not fully fooked but then im not %100 sure on this

03 RS clio 172 flameR
Standard ECU can run aftermarket cams without mapping but theres a difference between self adjusting / coping and altering the map to smooth it out and actually give gains?

Mapping session will iron out any lean and flat bits. Worth doing imo

yep spot on but a 16bhp loss with a aftermarket IK sounds like a fault to me.

Ph1
16 bhp down was from someone else who posted not the guy who started the topic ;) but for that example, what was it 16 bhp down from exactly? They dont run to book figure stock so that could mean anything unless theres a prior RR base figure as a guide.
Your right tho, 16 down from what ever on a stock airbox running dangerously lean sounds more like it had a problem.

I think in the topic case the lad could benafit from a remap maybe.

172 5HED
16 bhp down was from someone else who posted not the guy who started the topic ;) but for that example, what was it 16 bhp down from exactly? They dont run to book figure stock so that could mean anything unless theres a prior RR base figure as a guide.
Your right tho, stock airbox on that lads car running dangerously lean sounds more like it had a problem.

I think in the topic case the lad could benafit from a remap maybe.

No mate, 16BHP down from an RRd figure on the same rollers of 200.4, AFR was way off with only the airbox changed!!

Stock airbox was running fine! The lad, me, Had already had cams and other bits fitted and fully mapped before the airbox!

So... if it self adjusts guys, what made it run so lean when I changed just the airbox? What "fault" would this be??

It now books at 3BHP more with it mapped to richen it back out.

03 RS clio 172 flameR
yep, remaps are just good for everything! exept for carbed v8s lol. however i agree with nearly all cars a remap does it alot of good, not just for BHP but for overall drivabilty! in the case of the 16bhp loss situation i never thought about the fact that the 197 isnt actually 197bhp however it doesnt RR at 181 iether so 16bhp loss is 95% sure a fault.

in reading the above post after posting this i now am totally lost for ideas, enless the airbox was filled with custard!

172 5HED
yep, remaps are just good for everything! exept for carbed v8s lol. however i agree with nearly all cars a remap does it alot of good, not just for BHP but for overall drivabilty! in the case of the 16bhp loss situation i never thought about the fact that the 197 isnt actually 197bhp however it doesnt RR at 181 iether so 16bhp loss is 95% sure a fault.

ARRRGGGHHH it was RRd at 200 and a bit after I had the work dont (but without the airbox)

It made 184 before, thats how far off 197 they run!!

so 16BHP down from 200:rasp:

***Edit** in reading the above post with edit, I now retract my ARRRRGGHH lol!!!

No, I never fitted the ITG custard airbox either lol!

03 RS clio 172 flameR
lol at the last 3 posts! well andyman can you think of any reason for this cos im lost now! like i said th only way i can see that you would loose that power is if the airbox was blocked some how, or if the remapping you had was set at a exact figure for fuel mixture, but then it wouldnt be very good at starting from cold enless this is a different parimiter in the map which is relying on the engine temp...... f**k this its frying my brain, his airbox was s**t, his new one works. everyone lived happy ever after the end....

172 5HED
lol at the last 3 posts! well andyman can you think of any reason for this cos im lost now! like i said th only way i can see that you would loose that power is if the airbox was blocked some how, or if the remapping you had was set at a exact figure for fuel mixture, but then it wouldnt be very good at starting from cold enless this is a different parimiter in the map which is relying on the engine temp...... f**k this its frying my brain, his airbox was s**t, his new one works. everyone lived happy ever after the end....

lol at the last bit!! Nothing was blocked (thought the caf might have been) so we rmoved the feed, tried that, the same! Removed the box from the TB, the same.... so it had knocked it way off??? making me think that the STD box was restrictive??

I dunno lol, works well now anyway!

03 RS clio 172 flameR
lol. i have just remembered this thread was started by someone wanting to know somthing and we have fully hijacked his thread! anyway, bottom line is remap!