ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice needed sm inlet remap

clio sport 200
Had my car booked into efi yesterday and unfortunately Chris is saying something is holding the car back he’s had to pull back the vvt and lean it our after 6500k he’s suggesting it’s either the exhaust I.e damaged and restricting airflow or the timing but as the car is running perfectly up to 6500k he’s pretty sure it’s the exhaust. Anyone ever had a problem like this before?? Currently running a scorpion rs192 with de-cat with standard cams and sm inlet.

Attachments

• 1837B427-AC93-4D13-9F8D-49EEB377B3FC.jpeg
    1837B427-AC93-4D13-9F8D-49EEB377B3FC.jpeg
    401.8 KB · Views: 77
  clio 182
That looks like a nice torque curve to me!
Why has he had to pull back the vvt and lean it out after 6,500 rpm, what happens if leave the vvt advanced and keep the AFR optimised?

clio 182
Or do you mean it made more power with vvt retarded after 6,500 rpm, and also by lean it out, do you just mean that the injector pulse width had to be reduced to keep AFR optimised? Do you have an AFR graph?

clio sport 200
Yes it made more power with the VVT retarded and the fuel leaned out after 6500, I’m pretty clueless when your asking from AFR graphs. He said it’s not breathing right and something is holding it back

clio 182
I understand, so if it’s losing air flow above 6,500 rpm, particularly with vvt advanced, high exhaust back pressure could cause this. I know that the RS192 (if it’s post 2014) has a 6” odd length of pipe upstream of the centre silencer that is only 2” diameter, so it’s possible that the exhaust is costing a bit.

You’re still making 184 bhp on I assume standard cams though, which doesn’t sound too far off, so even if the exhaust back pressure is costing you some airflow, it’s not costing a lot is it? What power were you expecting with this setup? What do others make?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I’d be expecting 190 with the inlet.

Mine made 183/163 after the efi map, standard cams/inlet.

clio 182
The other thing you could check that might be hurting the top end power is if the SM inlet isn’t very well aligned with the head and there is a step between the inlet manifold and head ports.

And check that the air filter is nice and clean if you’ve not already checked.

clio sport 200
Chris showed me the results of a car he mapped earlier in the week with the same setup as mine standard cams and sm inlet and our graphs are identical until 6500, his keeps on pulling to 200bhp and the torque line is even till the redline where my starts dropping off after 6 and the bhp does after 6500, Chris is 100% something is holding the car back quite a bit could this possibly be timing

clio sport 200
I understand, so if it’s losing air flow above 6,500 rpm, particularly with vvt advanced, high exhaust back pressure could cause this. I know that the RS192 (if it’s post 2014) has a 6” odd length of pipe upstream of the centre silencer that is only 2” diameter, so it’s possible that the exhaust is costing a bit.

You’re still making 184 bhp on I assume standard cams though, which doesn’t sound too far off, so even if the exhaust back pressure is costing you some airflow, it’s not costing a lot is it? What power were you expecting with this setup? What do others make?
Any have you could show me a photo of the 6inch pipe your talking about pal

dan's cast offs.
had one the other month with 197 cams that was the same top end, thought it was being held back, we knew cam timing was spot on so went with exhaust, didn't do back pressure test, possibly on standard cat and think it was scorpion system? stuck a pms manifold back on, back to tweak the map, gained a bit but not much at all. think it made just on 190bhp or near as.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
As Simon b has said the SM inlet needs port matching to the head but I still doubt it'll make any more power

IMG_1185.JPG

clio 182
^^^ LOL!
Yeah sure, if you look at the pic below, the bit I circled in red is only 2" diameter pipe. I know because I just bought one and it's currently on the work bench in my garage and I measured it. But like Bloke says, it'll not be worth a massive amount.
upload_2018-2-5_12-20-40.png

clio 182
One thing that would be really interesting to compare between the engines that make really good power and ones that don't is the air filter setup and more importantly, the intake pipe between the air filter and the SM inlet. The dimensions of this intake pipe can really influence the performance of an engine - not saying it definitely is in this case, just saying it can do, so would be interesting to see if people are running different setups.

clio sport 200
One thing that would be really interesting to compare between the engines that make really good power and ones that don't is the air filter setup and more importantly, the intake pipe between the air filter and the SM inlet. The dimensions of this intake pipe can really influence the performance of an engine - not saying it definitely is in this case, just saying it can do, so would be interesting to see if people are running different setups.
Do you think my battery cover could be causing any issues

Attachments

• 2EA43F35-2D8A-42B5-B636-18B514612A3C.jpeg
    2EA43F35-2D8A-42B5-B636-18B514612A3C.jpeg
    696.3 KB · Views: 57

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Mine had a similar issue at efi about a week ago. But mines on a RS2 inlet. Chris had to add a lot of timing to even get the power upto standard. He thought compression was down or timing was out but I’ve checked compression and it’s spot on.

Chris checked the throttle body and check the air filter wasn’t restricting the air flow.
Not sure what else mine could be lol

182 Turbo
Wheres your before run? if the car made 160 bhp before id be happy with the gain.
When people make the generalization that part a bolted on should = 190 bhp is when people start getting very upset, these cars dont all make the exact same power from factory, few cars do.
Ive never heard of the scorpion actually causing hinderance to a setup, it might not be the best performing system and a few bhp might be better gained off an alternative system but ive seen plenty of itb'd cars run over 200 bhp with the scorpion system.
The miltek system is probably one of the best ive seen its all sleeved with no pipe diameter variations, but it has 2 back boxes, the few bhp extra is worth the same as the weight saving of one box on the scorpion.
Just enjoy the car now, you're making peak torque at 2.5k rpm, thats ridiculous. Dont start spending out on things that dont need doing

clio sport 200
Mine had a similar issue at efi about a week ago. But mines on a RS2 inlet. Chris had to add a lot of timing to even get the power upto standard. He thought compression was down or timing was out but I’ve checked compression and it’s spot on.

Chris checked the throttle body and check the air filter wasn’t restricting the air flow.
Not sure what else mine could be lol
Have you checked the timing pal

clio 182
I reckon the timing is fine on Chambers_RS’s car because can see from his other thread that it’s making 160 ftlb which is good ... that’s the group n timing working.