ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice needed on smash

Dear All

Just had my first accident on Boxing day,due to ice.My 172 did a 180 degree turn on a icy patch and i hit a concrete central reservation.

On first look at the rear end i was quite chuffed as there was just a few scrapes,no big deal.The Magnex backbox seemed to have taken the full force off the concrete has there was a scrape on it,plus it had come off the bracket it was being held onto,has it is now hanging down lower.

Anyway i had a look in the boot and saw the spare wheel wasnt sitting flush anymore,i took the carpet out and saw what looked like a crease in the bodywork which was pushing the wheel slightly up.

I then had a look underneath the wheel arch and saw the plastic covering was smashed and what looked like a crease in the fuel tan,it looks like it has been shunted forward with the force of the impact.

There are no rattles or anything,but i will take it to a trusted garage on Wednesday if they are open and see what they say.

Could anyone give me any advice on what might need doing,also cost wise (i think it might be an insurance job)

Also is it safe to drive with it being like that,it seems okay to drive no ill effects or anything.

All the best

Ian

they put your car in a jig to see if the bodywork is twisted and if nessesary or viable straighten it

could be quite a big expensive job depending on the work needed

when my Cooper got hit it would have cost £4500 to fix :eek: so was written off

I dont want to worry you but, my misses had her micra written off with similar damage.

slight rear tailgate, boot floor creased abit, rear bumper and one rear light.

I could have had it fixed in a couple of days but they classed it not fit to go on the road again.

if there is a crease in the boot floor pan, then it is quite a big job as this will need to be replaced, it shouldnt be banged out as the metal has now been weakened.

if the fuel tank has been damaged then some of the pipework could also have been hit so i wouldnt drive it as this could start leaking/squirting petrol on places it shouldnt do.

gutted for you, i learnt the same way, i never take my car out when the weather is like this.

Thanks folks.

Bloody hell im worried now,i havent had anything like this happen before.

What do i need to do now,do i take it to a garage and get some advice,or do i phone my insurance company up,what happens if they say it is a write off,how much do you reckon i would get back,wouldnt mind a 182 Cup.

Ian

Id tell the Ins Co. it will be less aggro for you.

As for the pay out should the worst happen it will be a fight all the way make sure your armed with all the facts such as replacement prices, NOT the trade prices that they will try to fob you off with and remember you dont have to accept there offers fight all the way.

firstly i would go to a garage and find out how much it will cost to repair. if it is a lot give your insurance company a ring, normally they will give you a choice of using one of thier approved repairers or supplying your own. if you go for the latter they might ask for 3 quotes if it is very expensive i.e over £1000. my advice is go for an approved centre as the work will be guaranteed under your insurance and it is less hassle for you.

good luck anyhow