ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice needed and I'm new

None at moment
Hi guys,

I need some advice on Clios I do not own a clio (yet). I never had much of an interest in them in the past and always tried to steer clear of French made vehicles but my Mum has a Clio Mk2 and recently I have been using it to run around town and go to work occasionally in it and after spending some time driving it I found it to be a really nice car. I have about £1,000 to spend on a car and have decided to go against everything I said in the past and buy myself a French car and most of all a car that I had always said I would never buy which is a Clio. The only reason I have always been soo negative about these little cars in the past is that they most people I see driving them are young lads who are cutting me up on motorways and ragging them around the streets at 2am and a lot of people I know see them as a chavvy boys car.

But since I have been driving one I think I will settle and buy myself one as they are really nice to drive. I prefer the Mk2 to any of them because of the comfort and price. I do want to do stuff to the car and modify it and that's where I am asking for advice. How would I go about modifying on of these cars without looking like a yobo. (no offence to the people who have already done them up on here) Its just most kids round here drive clios and have given the car such a bad rep.

I do not tear around in cars I'm pretty sensible but do appreciate modified cars if done up right and not bodged. Previously I have owned a Astra GSi and a Type R both of which I modified and have sold on due to not needing a car as work as a courier driver. This Clio would be purely as a project to drive to car shows etc

Cheers

Chris

BG Clio 182
I think a grand is slightly unrealistic for a sport mate. You'll get one, but it won't be nice enough for your main car if that's what you're after. It'll probably need the belts doing and be cosmetically rough i would imagine, or have moon mileage.

Ensure the belts have been done every 5 years and full service history. Listen for dephaser rattle when it's warm because that's a telltale sign the dephaser is knackered and it's a new belt job, so expensive.

Check the gearbox for noises and various other standard car tests such as for the clutch and the tyres etc.

Clutches get heavy as they get older which isn't an issue. Mines unbelievably heavy. I'd say it's probably the heaviest 182 I know about but doesn't slip etc. Needless to say, I'm having it changed because it'd hard work.

They can't really be modified for power tbh. Just enjoyed for what they are.

Can get a nice 1.4 privilege ph2 for around 1k. Nice wheels for the money.

As mentioned above poor money for an rs