ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

adjustable dampers

sorry guys might sound abit stupid but i dont know much about this

im going to be getting a 172 shortly and its listed as having koni adjustable dampers with eibach springs and i was told the ride height could be changed

firstly how would you go about changing the ride height? do you just jack the car up?

secondly whats the difference between that set up and coilovers :S

thanks in advance!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
AFAIK, the koni's aren't height adjustable, just damper adjustable. Good kit by all accounts.

oh okay so that meaning i cant adjust the height but can adjust how soft or hard the ride is? the more harder the less body role right?

182 (Conversion)
2 "main" types:

Type 1 height adjustable
Type 2 height and also rebound/compression adjustment.

Get the best you can afford but more importantly get it properly setup with corner weigh and full geometry.

2 "main" types:

Type 1 height adjustable
Type 2 height and also rebound/compression adjustment.

Get the best you can afford but more importantly get it properly setup with corner weigh and full geometry.

thanks for the info....

the eibach springs and koni dampers alreeady fitted so im guessing the set up is all correct

ive come from a 182 with both cup packs to this 172 cup so the handling will most likely be much improved

182 (Conversion)
Don't assume suspension is setup correctly. It's nearly always not.

Even when "professionally" setup it's even rarer to have it corner weighed. The difference is significant. A proper job can cost upwards of £250 just for the setting up.

PH1 172 Sport
Konis and eibach springs are a great setup expecially if its just going to be a road car. The eibachs will have lowered it a bit.

yeah i dont have any intention on putting it on a track (for now) lol but should be a really good drive!

only thing il miss is the xenons and a/c but i can get a hid kit n jus have to drive with windows down when its hot lol

182 (Conversion)
I've never been on the track but have always made sure the suspension is correctly setup as I like to drive as close to the limit as possible knowing the car is as predictable and safe as possible.

All personal end of the day, some people go so low handling is out the window anyway.

Don't assume suspension is setup correctly. It's nearly always not.

Even when "professionally" setup it's even rarer to have it corner weighed. The difference is significant. A proper job can cost upwards of £250 just for the setting up.

Corner weighting is great on a track/rally/race car but pointless on the road. Just make sure they are all set the same.

What do you think happens when your Mrs gets in the passenger seat? Or you fill up with petrol? Or you put something in the boot???

182 (Conversion)
You can't say corner weighing is useless - agreed the balance will be off with passengers or stuff in the boot, that's why when I'm out for a fast run around North Wales I'm on my own, with a 3/4 full tank and nothing in the boot. When corner weighed they should use your weight as ballast and keep the car as you would drive fast.

It's more about badly setting it up by eye/guesstimate, it's better than not having it done and if you ask me well worth the extra few notes.

When I had my last car done the difference was impressive.

182 (Conversion)
lol no not at all - £250 is a fair wedge in anyones book I agree, which is why it's easy to say "nah I won't bother". But as said that's a full, professional setup.

If you like driving "spiritedly" though I personally can't recommend it enough. Suspension is so important to handling so in the long run you'll enjoy the car more and it will be safer. I hate it when people buy a great handling car, chuck some cheap suspension on it and boot it away thinking it will handle better.

These done my last car and on the test drive to show me the difference I nearly had a heart attack: http://www.perfect-touch.co.uk/