ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS light

Have done a search and seems a common problem my ABS light is constantly on now. Have just installed a new wiring loom the other day and first time I have drove the car since I bought it. When I started it the light stayed on then when I drove away the light went off when it picked up some speed. The light came back on a few miles later though and although it's gone off twice when i've restarted it it just comes back on and is now on permanently.

Checked all the reluctor rings and they are clean and undamaged. Adjusted the brake pedal switch which is now bang on. All the sensor seem clean enough.

Anybody else had any other faults that have caused this? Going to get it plugged in and the ABS sensors checked though the guy that does it seems to think it's common that the rear sensor air gap becomes to close and needs a washer under it can anyone confirm this happens sometimes?

Thanks anyway mate. Today the light went of and when I was testing it I was braking from motorway cruising speed and the light came back on. Have spent the day checking everything out and couldn't find anything.

I came across a few threads while searching about the steering position sensor causing problems with esp etc if it's not lined up right when the steering wheel is fitted. This car hasn't got that but there were a few mentions of it relating to abs problems aswell. Anyway I took the steering wheel of and the two grooves that the steering wheel slots onto on the position sensor it was misalinged from these and sitting a few away from each one. Now my steering has been quite twitchy so hopefully that related to this. But now the abs light has gone off although I havn't had a good chance to test it apart from running it round the street. Can anyone explain what the implications of this not being lined up right would be? Also is this likely to have been the problem with the abs?

Clio 17
I had a similar problem with mine and I traced it to the brake light switch. Changed it for a new one and the problem went away.

Thanks for the info Tom. If the light does come back on I will be changing the switch first before I get it plugged in. I did adjust the switch and it appears to be working well but it does seem to be a common problem.