ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS light + SERV light and fault code.

Hello, the ABS light randomly came on the other night after driving on the motorway some distance, I have plugged it into an OBD scanner and got the error code "P0500"

Does anyone know what the issue is and what I need to go about doing to fix it?
Also this is a stupid question but does this mean that my car will not have ABS until the light goes off? (should be obvious but you never know)

Clio 172 Merc ML55
think it's speed sensor code?

I believe soo to, I'd start off by removing the wheels and checking/ cleaning the face of the abs sensors and the abs rings on driveshafts and rear hubs.

Did you reset the code when it was checked or have you left it active with the light still on on the dash?

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
I've also had this problem with mine since taking ownership of it (Feb this year). It only seems to come on after about 10 miles on the motorway but the light goes off when switching everything off. Any tips on how to fix this? I haven't attempted to fix it, im aware this means no ABS which does scare me!

Anyone managed to fix this on theirs yet? Any tips?

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I've also had this problem with mine since taking ownership of it (Feb this year). It only seems to come on after about 10 miles on the motorway but the light goes off when switching everything off. Any tips on how to fix this? I haven't attempted to fix it, im aware this means no ABS which does scare me!

Anyone managed to fix this on theirs yet? Any tips?

Most likely cause is the abs rings or a sensor pal.

The cars not suddenly dangerous without abs either as long as your sensible.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
"As long as you are sensible......" :tongueclosed:

In terms of the sensor and the abs rings, is it just a case of cleaning them up or replacing?

I have heard that the ABS rings are a sod to replace......

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
"As long as you are sensible......" :tongueclosed:

In terms of the sensor and the abs rings, is it just a case of cleaning them up or replacing?

I have heard that the ABS rings are a sod to replace......

Clean them up to start with, see how you get on.

The rings rust and get tiny cracks, you can usually feel this through the peddle braking at low speeds. There easy to replace you just have to take everything off to get to them which is a ballache.
If its not the rings then you need to check the live data coming from the sensors while spinning the wheels.

I had no ABS light when one of my front rings gave up. Just pedal fart below 5mph and under heavy braking the car tried to pull the rear around. ABS still active.

Fixed that and then the NSR sensor went a week later, ABS light on among others like TC, service, handbrake...that disengaged the ABS.

Then not long after that the ABS pump gave up, with all the same symptoms as the knackered sensor. CPU fault under diagnostics.

My advice check the rings for obvious wear, if you can't see anything then just get the car on CLIP to pin point the issue, as other generic diagnostic tools don't always give the full picture.

If it's the front rings they are a bit of a pain to remove as you've got to undo the lower strut bolts, knock the drive shaft out the hub, and knock the ring of the drive shaft without pulling the gearbox end out to much. Rears are much easier as they're on the discs.

If it's a rear sensor then these are also a pain to remove as you need to remove the hub to get the old sensor out as they become welded in due to rust, can knock them out with a socket pretty easily in a vice though, it's not really possible on the car, also the Torx screws that hold the sensor rust as well and are very easy the round off. The fronts can be done on the car I think.

It could also be the ABS loom running underneath the car passenger side.

Last edited:

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
If it's an consolation I also have the ABS light on. It's had new rings, but the wrong ones fitted by PO. So they'll need replacing, and probably a sensor as the lights on all the time. Need to find someone local with clip!

2014 Clio 200t edc
I had this when I had my 172 with a sensor fault, fault in that some idiot had managed to somehow snap the cable pretty much clear out of the head. I drove it like this for a while and only ever had one scary moment as i just drove a little more sensible (yes it was hard!! Lol) My issue was the front sensor and was a pain in the a25e as I had to drill the remainder of be sensor out of its mounting hole. It wasn't hard just annoying.
Check the obvious things like rings and wires first and I hope you get it sorted soon.

MrCube182

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I had a similar issue, it turned out to be a bad rear ABS sensor. Got a mechanic to plug his scanner (wasn't Clip) and looked at the live feed from the 4 speed sensors whilst driving forward and backwards a few feet. The dodgy wheel speed sensor was obvious by the graph, then we just checked the wiring to that sensor and replaced it - simple fix really. If its a rear sensor (on a 182) you have to remove the hub to get access, and remove the old sensor which will be seized in there as they have a metal sleeve.

after i had a look i can confirm my abs cable has ripped and is just hanging off. This is why i no longer have abs LOL.. how the f has that happened?... is the front abs cable a pain to change?

MrCube182

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
You can just resolder the cable if it's broken, just unplug the sensor cable and pull it out of the car so you have some space. The insulation of the wire is very elasticy and tough so you've got to make a lengthways cut with a stanley knife to expose the wires. If you aren't good with soldering, you can just expose the copper wire and use these connectors and a lighter: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heat-Shri...Connector-White-Red-Blue-Yellow-/121214401768

You can just resolder the cable if it's broken, just unplug the sensor cable and pull it out of the car so you have some space. The insulation of the wire is very elasticy and tough so you've got to make a lengthways cut with a stanley knife to expose the wires. If you aren't good with soldering, you can just expose the copper wire and use these connectors and a lighter: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heat-Shri...Connector-White-Red-Blue-Yellow-/121214401768
I'll have a look into this, i'm shocking at wiring though (pardon the pun)

MrCube182

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Wiring isn't that bad at all, with those presoldered connectors you don't need a soldering iron, flux or anything, just twist the copper wires together and heat up the connector over it

dan's cast offs.
the presoldered ones are iffy at best. also wouldn't use them on anything signal/screened. cheap enough for new sensor.

MrCube182

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
If done right they are waterproof and extremely strong, they won't interfere with the a/c signal at all