ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS and TC light on

182 Cup
I've got my ABS and TC light on at the moment, I've taken the car down to Ren7oaks and it's been on the Renault clip thing.

They've told me it's the ring sensor on the steering column that measures the angle of steering lock for the ESP. Has anyone got any experience of this part? Point me in the right direction of where it is exactly?

Thanks,

FPOS Productions™ 172 FR
Oddly i had this a day or so after the coilovers went on... had it for a couple of days, been off ever since.

mine came on after i swapped wheels back over after mot (horn), managed to turn the angle sensor whilst doing it which then put these lights on.

NWperformance talked me through what i needed to do and it switched it back off, so dont go buying a new one just yet.

if you have had the wheel off that is.....

i think i've stil got instructions somewhere if you need them, pm me.

mine came on after i swapped wheels back over after mot (horn), managed to turn the angle sensor whilst doing it which then put these lights on.

NWperformance talked me through what i needed to do and it switched it back off, so dont go buying a new one just yet.

if you have had the wheel off that is.....

i think i've stil got instructions somewhere if you need them, pm me.

Yeah, all my problems started after changing the wheel over

Can you PM me the instructions ?

i'l do it when i get home as there's a fair bit of copying an pasting involved, just checked. basicallyinvolves whipping the wheel and hub back off, making sure the plastic disc under the boss on the steering column is lined up in the right place. you obviously twisted it when you fitted the wheel?

there is a plastic window in the top left corner of the disc, and it basically needs to be turned around until a colour is shown. will be white i think now, needs to be orange in the little window. get this showing then refit wheel and boss and turn on ignition.

thats probably impossible to read and understand so wil send it over later when im my laptop.

182 Cup
i'l do it when i get home as there's a fair bit of copying an pasting involved, just checked. basicallyinvolves whipping the wheel and hub back off, making sure the plastic disc under the boss on the steering column is lined up in the right place. you obviously twisted it when you fitted the wheel?

there is a plastic window in the top left corner of the disc, and it basically needs to be turned around until a colour is shown. will be white i think now, needs to be orange in the little window. get this showing then refit wheel and boss and turn on ignition.

thats probably impossible to read and understand so wil send it over later when im my laptop.

Looks ok to me. Thanks for the info, I'll take a look at the weekend.

right just for a bit of clarity and for the sake of future searches. here's what i was told to do, by Ryan of NW Performance (shout out!! brapbrapbrap etc etc) so if it works he should have the credit not me, but it did work with mine :)

If you take you wheel back off, top left you will have a hole cut out. You need to turn the wheel till it shows full orange that should mean you have your wheel straight. If you do that it should work fine. If you try that give me a shout back will tell you something else to try. You dont have to put the wheel back on to test it.

if that doesnt work, mine did, then this the next step....

Right now try taking wheel off again. Take that sensor off behind the wheel. That will show you the airbag wire setup. Bottom right the will be a white line on a half star shaped thing (dunno what its called lol)

The white line needs to line up with a mark on the airbag setup. Sorry i dont have any pics or i would show you.

If you do that and it still dont work it might mean your sensor has gone. Happened with ours, Its around £150 + vat for it.

thats pretty much everything. report back if you both still get stuck and i'll try and help you.

megane 225
hey, ive got the same issue on a mk2 172, had to take top of the steering column off to see the window thing you were referring to, this is now lined up so it shows yellow with a black dot, however I cant see the markings on the ring at all, there is a plastic ring outside of this ring but im not sure how to get this off. any ideas?
regards

Last edited:
  "Navy" N17 TWO
Mine came on when I got my coilovers fitted as the tracking was all over the place.
Went away when I got the tracking done :)

Bumder With A Buffer
Usually to do with steering wheel angle sensor either by fitting coilovers and the tracking being all over the place or by the steering wheel replacement

megane 225
figured it out, the lights only come on after I have indicated and the indicator hasnt cancelled by the steering wheel returning to dead centre.
This will be due to the airbag wires not being tight in the boss kit. When taking the airbag off the airbag wires are nice and tight so they pick up smaller movements. The wheel and boss both have a hole which the wires go through and when the wires are forced to the side (by the sides of the holes in the boss/wheel) it causes the disc to spin. It would seem that if i manually cancel an indication (which hasnt automatically cancelled) the lights do not come on. However if im still indicating after the wheel has been returned to dead centre the lights then appear about 2 seconds after. I tested this by going round a corner (letting it auto cancel which it didnt) and the lights came on. I then went around the same corner but veered more out of the turn (which caused it to automatically cancel) and the lights did not appear. Think I therefore need to tighten the airbag wires on the boss a bit better.

ohh and renault wanted £88 to plug it into thier computer lol

Last edited: