ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

6.5k limiter help

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
What actually controls the rev limiter?

I understand that it's based on oil temperature.

I had a decent 55 mile drive with a probably average of 30-40 mph and the dash shows temp level sitting bang on centre. No fluctuations.

For some reason in 1st 2nd and 3rd I hit a limiter at 6500 rpm.

I hope that makes sense

Any ideas?

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
The rev limiter is controlled within the ECU?

I know the RSTuner can make it higher, by how much I'm not sure.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Yeah I guessed that, what I meant was what does the ecu take its signal from to change over to hot map?

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I would say CTS or Thermostat that is possibly at fault as like its been said it goes by coolant / water temp.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
"Because French" is quite accurate, fortunately I have a new thermostat at home to fit. I'll get it fitted over the next couple of days and see how it goes.

Thanks!

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
"Because French" is quite accurate, fortunately I have a new thermostat at home to fit. I'll get it fitted over the next couple of days and see how it goes.

Thanks!

If you have not bought coolant i can drop you off a bottle, I have 7 5L bottles of Type D sitting here doing nothing and i want to move some of them

Last edited:

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
CTS01.jpg

CTS02.jpg

CTS03.jpg

CTS04.jpg

CTS05.jpg

CTS06.jpg

CTS07.jpg

CTS08.jpg

CTS09.jpg

CTS010.jpg

CTS011.jpg

CTS012.jpg

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
Type d coolant is the green stuff right ?
I just changed mine and put red oat in have I fucked up ?

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Fitted thermostat and CTS.

I was a bit unsure of the process regarding bleeding the Coolant but I warmed it up with the cap off the reservoir, popped the cap on and opened the bleed valve till stream of bloody hot coolant!

Rinse and repeat a couple of times then took it for a drive. Everything seems to be working ok, 7100-200 rpm limiter.
Will check when cold and top up tomorrow.

One question, orange light above the gear shift light. Should this illuminate when I hit the limiter in second and third? Stays lit a couple of seconds then goes out.

Thanks.

Shift light is green and turns off below 7k rpm ish

Sounds like the EML is coming on? Have you got a code reader?

Sounds like the CTS has sorted it. RE: the bleeding procedure, I topped my reservoir tank up, opened the top bolt on the thermostat housing until it ran without bubbling. Topped up again and ran the car until the fan and thermostat opened etc, once car was cold again topped up, and been spot on since.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
I have access to a code reader so will get it checked.

Any immediate thoughts?

Last edited:
  Clio 172 Cup
I had a similar problem, I replaced the coolant sensor and it kept happening. It was actually a duff thermostat, it was stuck open so the engine was too effective at cooling! A replacement thermostat is super cheap and is just literally next to the sensor (the triangle shaped bolt pattern just in front is the housing) so the method is the same.