ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3M Headlight correction + clean pics

clio sold :(
I could do with this. Can it be done by hand or any other method.
I only have a mains drill High rpm and it doesnt have speed control its a bit brutal

Last edited:

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
So no one has had a go and Fucked it up yet then ?? This looks promising now :D

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Did mine today with this kit

Before

1352370694.jpg

After

1352370524.jpg

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Do the lights need to be relaquered after doing this or just leave them ??

Did part of mine the other day with this kit, worked a treat! Need to do the lot really but i was scared the first time so only attempted the bits that were rough. Will wait until summer now to do them both but big thumbs up for this. Really easy to use and really hard to f**k up on it.

It is. I've held my tongue until now, but my God, 500 grit is for wooden doors, not smooth plastic headlights.

Utter madness.

Monaco blue 172
Last pair I done I used 1500 then 2000. 3m fast cut on a compounding head then some finishing polish on a finishing head. Coat of colonnite jobs a goodun

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
It is. I've held my tongue until now, but my God, 500 grit is for wooden doors, not smooth plastic headlights.

Utter madness.

What would you start with on them that comes in the kit 500 seems really agressive ?

LY R26 #288

Utter madness.

Lol can't say ive ever used anything over 120 on doors and I'm a painter.

Arctic 182
I've also bought this, should come tomorrow. Was going to try by hand, but this looks more practical. Thanks for the write up and bringing this to my attention.

Lol can't say ive ever used anything over 120 on doors and I'm a painter.

Thanks for that. Ill think of something else that 500 grit should be used for as a comparison.

Having been in detailing for a long time, once again, 500 grit is far too coarse.

Black Gold Trophy
I personally think if the shoe fits...

If the headlights are bad enough, you could spend hours with 1500, or minutes with 500. It all depends on how bad the headlights are.
At the end of the day if you work up through the grades and remove the sanding marks from the 500, no one would know you were ever there with 500. You cant argue with the results either, can't see any left over sanding marks on any of the headlights pictured here.

It's different if you are flatting and polishing paint, as you have to worry about burning through clearcoat etc, but with solid plastic I wouldn't worry.
I've corrected plenty of them myself and I use a DA on them followed by a rotary polisher, and I've worked as low as 500 plenty of times.
I would also say 3M know what they're doing, they've been producing fantastic solutions for bodyshops etc for years.

I personally think if the shoe fits...

If the headlights are bad enough, you could spend hours with 1500, or minutes with 500. It all depends on how bad the headlights are.
At the end of the day if you work up through the grades and remove the sanding marks from the 500, no one would know you were ever there with 500. You cant argue with the results either, can't see any left over sanding marks on any of the headlights pictured here.

It's different if you are flatting and polishing paint, as you have to worry about burning through clearcoat etc, but with solid plastic I wouldn't worry.
I've corrected plenty of them myself and I use a DA on them followed by a rotary polisher, and I've worked as low as 500 plenty of times.
I would also say 3M know what they're doing, they've been producing fantastic solutions for bodyshops etc for years.

None of the photos in this thread are of the headlights in direct sun/other source of light. So no, of course you can't see the marks that the 500 grit has left behind.

I guarantee you will not get the 500 grit marks out of the plastic headlights of a Clio.

But then again, it's not my car :)

edit; re the 3M point - Farcela G3 cutting compound is a God awful product used by body shops. They still sell it to the Gen Pub. Same with TCut. Mass market and all that :)

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
None of the photos in this thread are of the headlights in direct sun/other source of light. So no, of course you can't see the marks that the 500 grit has left behind.

I guarantee you will not get the 500 grit marks out of the plastic headlights of a Clio.

But then again, it's not my car :)

Would you say start with the 800 instead then ?

edit; re the 3M point - Farcela G3 cutting compound is a God awful product used by body shops. They still sell it to the Gen Pub. Same with TCut. Mass market and all that :)

Would you say start with the 800 disc instead then ?

Renault Clio 172 Cup
Did my drivers side the other day well chuffed with the results just gave the other side a polish as it was fine
Before
43A977C8-00EE-4EC0-AB1F-146707ACD3FE-15473-000006EA061160B2.jpg

E52DEC37-C5DD-47BE-97F8-FF760830B811-15473-000006E9F502E4CB.jpg

831335B5-9A52-4A07-9472-72A3261D02C3-15473-000006E9EF6B7DBD.jpg

After
8C329ABE-376E-44CB-91DD-C5EFED955C9A-15473-000006EA0168D616.jpg

5548E27F-AB05-41CE-AB9C-61CCEFFCBFEE-15473-000006E9FBCFAF7E.jpg

Totally transformed my front end and id even say my lights at night have improved some what aswell, only tip iv got is make sure ur drill is fully charged and be carefull if it starts getting wobbly as my paint took a little hit even with it being taped up

Renault Clio 172 Cup
Took me about an hour i also clayed the light first to make sure it was totally clean and nothing could contaminate the pads

Arctic 182
How did it go then ?

Not bad, only did the driver's side as this was the worst, not completely gone but still an improvement. I can see area's which could benefit from another bash.

Next weekend i'll do the other side. Great bit of kit.

Have you done yours yet?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Not bad, only did the driver's side as this was the worst, not completely gone but still an improvement. I can see area's which could benefit from another bash.

Next weekend i'll do the other side. Great bit of kit.

Have you done yours yet?

Not yet may well f**k them up tomorrow !!:D

ST TDCI
If I can do it without f**king it up then you will be fine - oh and cheers ady engine cover sticker turned up today - looks spot on!

1.2 clio
This looks really good. Do you have to sand it down before hand or can you just use the polish? Also how long does it last for has the mist come back on lights at all?

Unlucky Alf

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra GTC
Sand it down before but all the sanding discs are for use with a drill so it saves all the effort. I've got the kit in a box waiting for a decent day. My headlights are a mess!

FF 182
Looks amazing. I got mine from the 3M website for a £11 delivered Thursday last week. Not sure if the offer is still on though