ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

headlight correction with rotary polisher

So I've read through the Headlight correction without PC polisher and there is some good advice but I'm tempted to give it a go this weekend with my brother in-laws rotary and some 3M products.

Just looking to make sure this procedure/steps would be ok?

Wet and dry sand papers - 1200 - 1500 - 2000, possibly 3000? by hand? or should i use the sanding discs with the rotary?
3M Fast Cut Plus
3M Extra Fine
3M Ultrafina SE

Followed by a choice of sealant?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
use the rotary for the sanding as well, quicker and easier. just be careful of the paintwork around the lights when you do the edges as the sanding discs will pull the rotary about a bit.

triple or quad tape the paintwork to be safe

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I got at it with

compound then a finish so your steps would be fine imo

I definitely wouldn't use sanding discs on the rotary, you need to feel the light as you're rubbing down.

Thanks guys :)
Will use up plenty of his 3M tape that he moans about being so expensive ;)

Next question.... 3M products... Are they actually any good for this type of thing or should i just take my Scratch X along with me?

Last edited:
  S4 Avant
1500 grit is the lowest you should go down to. It takes an age to get them back from 1200 grit.

I'd also avoid using the rotary to sand them, you'll end up leaving deep marks that take forever to get out.

wet and dry at 1500 and take your time.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I had no issues at all using the 3m kit on the drill, perhaps that's less brutal than a true rotary then?

Lol. Get the 500 from a wood shop?! Far too coarse a grade for plastic headlights!!

indeed!! would never go 500! i thought 1200 would be pushing it so just went for 1500 then 2000 in the end, worked out a treat!

Before

IMG_20131130_130406023_zpsd199ecf7.jpg

After

IMG_20131130_134422550_zps6e638d07.jpg

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I started with 500, then 1000 then 2000,30 mins each light

you can look at 500g being pointless in two ways.

one it adds more sanding to remove the marks incurred by the 500grit

two the plastic would have to be seriously pitted or damaged, not just UV damage and hazing before you would need anything even close to 500grit.

ie you made more work for yourself, and probably removed more of the headlight plastic than needed

172 ph2
you can look at 500g being pointless in two ways.

one it adds more sanding to remove the marks incurred by the 500grit

two the plastic would have to be seriously pitted or damaged, not just UV damage and hazing before you would need anything even close to 500grit.

ie you made more work for yourself, and probably removed more of the headlight plastic than needed

Its what I do for a living, (vehicle restoration)

I DA'd them wet with 500. It removes the same amount as 1500 but 3 times quicker with a better result.

That's the best laugh I've had in years. Thank you.

Its what I do for a living, (vehicle restoration)

Good God, I hope not. What's your company name?

How much would you charge to do my headlights?

I'd stay away. Give me a shout over the Xmas break and I'll come and see the Alpina and do the lights required at the same time. Swap a test drive for the lights.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
That's the best laugh I've had in years. Thank you.

Good God, I hope not. What's your company name?

I'd stay away. Give me a shout over the Xmas break and I'll come and see the Alpina and do the lights required at the same time. Swap a test drive for the lights.

Deal :)