ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headlight restoration - finally got there!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Well, after my thread a short while back.....

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/headlight-restoration-kits-do-they-work.774357/

I decided to have another go last weekend. The fundamental issue I had previously was with the 3M kit itself. The circular attachment fitted to a drill, which is then expected to be used smoothly on a curved surface - is probably one step more difficult than trying to herd cats.

I'd only ever tried the restoration kit on the drivers headlight before - not the passenger side. So I had a half-fixed headlight on one side and the other as a prime example of what 11 years worth of daily abuse and sunlight can actually do.

Reading up on it (and going balls out more than applying scientific logic) - I went down the delta sander route. Clearly, the majority of pads out there were far too abrasive - some grit levels being in just double-figures. I had a quick look on the internet and found some Fein 800 grit sanding pads from Tool-Net (http://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-350446/fein-800-grit-delta-sanding-sheets-for-stone-50-pack.html) - the only downside being that a pack of 50 was there smallest pack quantity. I even asked for less!

Anyway, these arrived and I got the rest of the kit down in the underground and got ready to get stuck in.

A couple of before shots:-

Initial%20state_zpsytfmh74r.jpg

Initial%20state%202_zpspmrtuoto.jpg

The pads were a MASSIVE improvement over the 3M drill attachment. Far more controllable as a device and very clear as to how much you'd done and how far you had to go. Dusting off the residue with a cloth, made it very easy to see how progress was being made...

Sanding%20stage_zpsazbjcecj.jpg

All told, I probably went through about a dozen pads - good job I had the box of 50 after all... ;)

Going%20through%20pads_zps5weekkno.jpg

Once the more aggressive part of this was done - I did use the 3M applicator and the 3M rubbing compound, attached to my Sonus Porter Cable. That again, worked a treat and methodically, I went over and over the lenses, clearing up the surface that had been left by the sanding.

Once that was done - a fresh Sonus pad with little more than AutoGlym's Car Glass Polish was used to sweep over the lenses for several minutes. Once done and wiped clean with a cloth, I was very impressed with the results. Certainly not concours or showroom condition, but a huge improvement over previous - and more importantly, than with the 3M kit alone.

End%20result%201_zpszfcowbg2.jpg

End%20result%202_zps8wyhm6ml.jpg

^^^ - a shame that the phone pic caught the reflection of the white wall at the top of the lens. It makes it look like nothing has been done!

All in all, a good learning experience, but not a job that I'd want to regularly do. I would however, definitely recommend the sanding option with a delta sander. It's far better suited to the job than a drill-bit attachment. Perhaps the most difficult part to find (individually) would be the 3M polishing compound. Apparently its a tricky item to find on its own.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Excellent job. I really need to do mine at some point. Borrowing a buffer and some pads so will see how that pans out.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
image.jpg
image.jpg

Did the. Yesterday myself, I didn't mash up, used wet and dry buy hand and carefully buffed with the das6pro..

They look good but I think the damage is starting to get deeper in the plastic, and the before picture is 2 years after the last buff.. They don't last like when new..

Nice results.

The 3m cutting/polishing compound can be had on its own but its not cheap as you have to get a pretty big bottle. either the Fast Cut Plus or Fast cur XL but they are near on £30 a bottle.

I went for the wet/dry sandpaper route along with the 3M Fast Cut Plus, Extra Fine, Ultrfina SE then some description of sealant (forget the name) was in a random container taken out of his trade container at work. very good stuff though.

Came out ok but should have gone a tad harsher on wet & dry i think,

Before:
11663809134_c310cbde4f_z.jpg

After:
11663456355_ff44881b3e_z.jpg

Reminds me, i did it late 2013 so may need to give them a quick once over with the 3M Extra Fine again,

^ they look much better!

I did my dads ones about two years ago, not with any special products either (just AG stuff inc seal) His ones still look like new :up:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Nice results.

The 3m cutting/polishing compound can be had on its own but its not cheap as you have to get a pretty big bottle. either the Fast Cut Plus or Fast cur XL but they are near on £30 a bottle.

I went for the wet/dry sandpaper route along with the 3M Fast Cut Plus, Extra Fine, Ultrfina SE then some description of sealant (forget the name) was in a random container taken out of his trade container at work. very good stuff though.

Came out ok but should have gone a tad harsher on wet & dry i think,

Before:
11663809134_c310cbde4f_z.jpg

After:
11663456355_ff44881b3e_z.jpg

Reminds me, i did it late 2013 so may need to give them a quick once over with the 3M Extra Fine again,

I know what you're saying about a 'tad harsher'. The original 3M kit comes with 500 and 800 grit pads. I went straight in with the less course 800. When I redo them - I might get a slightly more abrasive pad before switching to the 800.

Your results do look very good too though.