ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2nd Belt change on my 182

RS Clio 182
Well this summer i need both my belts doing on my 182 - had the first change 4 years ago in 2009 - so it is definatly due. I just want to ask should i get another 'big' service done at the same time - similar to the one i had around 36,000 miles?

And another quick question - I have my MOT coming up - my windscreen jet washer does not work (think the motor has gone)...will this fail the MOT? Im going to get it fixed before just to make sure.

Cheers for help you can give :)

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Yes it will fail as they test them.

what do you mean by big service as the belts normally is the big service lol.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Yeah whats a big service?
Cambelts not due for another year yet! Unless it's due on millage.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Cambelt is due at 72k or 5 years whichever comes first from when it was last done.
Aux is 36k or 5 years whichever comes first (CS says 3) from when it was last done.

All the service requirements are in the handbook that came with the car, Clio 182 has the simplest I've seen.

Renault clio 2005
My car Has Only done 58k is a 1.4 16 valve 2005 am I correct in thinking I need to get the belt changed at 75k?

Renault clio 2005
If they've never been done they're 3 years overdue.

:( My garage have just said before 70k and it will be fine. They said age is nothing to do with it. It is the service history and mileage that effects when it is needed to be done.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Just look in the owners book, the belts made of rubber, and rubber deteriorates over time.

I could be wrong on the 1.4s, but i'm betting it's still 5 years.

Suzuki Jimny
:( My garage have just said before 70k and it will be fine. They said age is nothing to do with it. It is the service history and mileage that effects when it is needed to be done.

I believed the garage when they said this with my first car. A month later the engine blew up into a million pieces.
Age definately effects it!

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Why risk it? The aux belt failing can take out the cambelt, causing a serious bill.

This. The AUX belt change is not all that dear anyway and at least then you have the peace of mind. Few hundred quid or a new engine if it snaps and takes out your cambelt.. I know what I would do.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Do you do the Aux belt at the same time as the cambelt?

I believe it makes sense to - so if you think of the Aux as having a 2.5 year life, then you can change it in between each cambelt service.

And surely the aux has to come off to do the cambelt anyway? So really if you de-tension it then you have to change it?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Why risk it? The aux belt failing can take out the cambelt, causing a serious bill.

This. The AUX belt change is not all that dear anyway and at least then you have the peace of mind. Few hundred quid or a new engine if it snaps and takes out your cambelt.. I know what I would do.

It's not a risk if you're following the recommended Renault Service guide in the manual, as that states 5 years 36k.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member

I think if you get your cambelt done then the aux generally gets done at the same time.

I had a price of £450 for both belt kits I would imagine that means cambelt and aux.

RS Clio 182
It's not a risk if you're following the recommended Renault Service guide in the manual, as that states 5 years 36k.

Ive done 38K since my Aux was done so im going to have to do it. Id rather do both belts at the same time though - just means my cam belt will be a year early.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You learn something new everyday! Never hear anyone talking about Aux belts.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD

Aux is 3 years or 36k not 5 years?

Have a good read of this, CS seams to say 5 Years, anyone in though seams to say 5.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?364986-Aux-belt-is-it-3-or-5-years&highlight=aux

Post 25 onwards is best.

Here is picture of the manual to.

Scan-081010-0001a.jpg

That thread just shows that everyone is saying Renault recommend 3 years over 5 (that they used to say) due to failures, and you're the only guy arguing against it.

As I said, get it changed at 36k/3years if you're not a cheapskate ;)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It's kinda common sense. 36k is average 3 years driving. I think the 5 on the manual is actually a misprint.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD

That thread just shows that everyone is saying Renault recommend 3 years over 5 (that they used to say) due to failures, and you're the only guy arguing against it.

As I said, get it changed at 36k/3years if you're not a cheapskate ;)

lol no it doesn't, it shows CS says 3 years, but anyone who works for renault/has access to the ICM/know what they're on about says 5 years, (the manual, Birchdown, lemonnobby1,etc)

and Renault sport answer a question on their own website with 5 years

http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/Question/14455/Category/28/community/experts/Default.aspx

ExpertsThe Renaultsport Experts area gives you the opportunity to get expert advice from the Renaultsport experts themselves. Choose a category below to view previous questions already answered or ask your own.

182 36k service Technical
octagon asks
Hello, I have recently bought a 54 plate 182 cup, the car was bought from a renault dealer and sold with a 'full service' as the mileage was just over 36k. Should the the aux belt have been changed as part of this service? also, as it is a 54 am i right in thinking the cam belt will need doing soon? does the aux belt have to be changed when the cam belt is done? or should i get the aux belt done now and the cam belt done when it is due? Many thanks
Allen responds
The Renault programme states: accessory belt: every 36k or 5 yrs / Timing belt: 72k or 5yrs and with the accessory belt it includes the belt tensioner pulleys. So if its 5 years old both belts should be replaced.
Regards,

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Tbf it's not really worth the risk leaving it as it costs a fortune for a decent engine and to get it dropped in plus you would do belts on a new engine anyway.

I just bought a 182 on 77k belts were done at 54k in September 2010, will be getting them all done asap just for piece of mind.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
He's not on about risking leaving it, he's on about just leaving it it to the guidelines set by Renault.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I know but for piece of mind sometimes its best to ignore the guidelines and just get it done anyway.