ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

24MPG FF 182

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
Try running a 197!

Mine is currently sat on 20mpg (over the last 100+ miles). For the last week or so i've only driven my 6 mile commute and back and nothing else. It's about 2 miles of normal roads and 4 miles of motorway (1 junction). I'm going to stick a new thermostat in there just to be on the safe side as it seems to take eges to warm up.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Something deffo wrong.

I do 52miles a day commute on country lanes, A & B roads. Even when I give her death I still get 34mpg. Driving normally I get 38 mpg and on the motorway I get 42/44.

I only use Tesco Momentum fuel and the car has done approx 40k miles with zero modifications.
Kind regards

Frayz
I get pretty much the same as you frayz, unless TheGiraffe takes it to work then it'll drop to low 30's mpg. I'll be doing 40mpg down the A13 til I hit the traffic at dagenham then it will drop. Average over a full tank is normally 38mpg.
Not too sad.

clio 182 sport
my average seems to have gone all over the place the last two weeks says im doin anywhere from 23-40 mpg ..... dont know if this has anything to do with the weather ....

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Try running a 197!

Mine is currently sat on 20mpg (over the last 100+ miles). For the last week or so i've only driven my 6 mile commute and back and nothing else. It's about 2 miles of normal roads and 4 miles of motorway (1 junction). I'm going to stick a new thermostat in there just to be on the safe side as it seems to take eges to warm up.

get a 182 thermostat, the 197 one is mega low temperature

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Mine is averaging between 36 and 38MPG.. Mainly round town but I do a 180mile round trip commute every fortnight on B roads.

Reset mine at the petrol station was getting 51mpg till I hit town and traffic, now it's only 38mpg

WHAT haha!

I did like 5miles of my 7mile commute with cruise control on at 35-40mph in 5th. Hardly any hills, went up to 24.9 YEAAHH baby!

I finally ran it down to the petrol light and drove on that for a fair few miles. Mileage reads at 238.2. So that equals about 21.65 mpg?

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
If day change the lambda sensor. Mine was dodgy and threw up the light and was getting 28/29mpg. Bought a second hand one off here for a tenner and swapped it over and now it runs fine with 35mpg.

Ph1
DSC02360_zpsba7e6ede.jpg

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Gave mine a run on the weekend, reset before joining the motorway for 100 miles or so. 38-40mpg now until it goes down again

Clio 182
My average is about 29 and i travel 2 miles to work. The best i can get is around 38 on motorway.

My dephaser is on its way out which i heard effects the MPG (starting to sound like a diesel after its warmed up). Can anyone confirm?? I just cant find the funds to replace it as i only got the timing belt change 3 months ago.

Black Gold Trophy
A few points to consider:

- If you do a very short commute, your engine spends most of its time below optimum operating temperature, it needs to be fully up to temp to get best fuel economy

- If you are stationary with the engine running, you are effectively doing zero miles per gallon at that moment, every time you do this, you lower the average for the tank

- The most fuel efficient speed you can do is roughly between 50 and 60mph, up to this speed drag doesnt play a major part in fuel consumption, after this point you have to use considerably more fuel to overcome the car's aerodynamic drag.

- Maintaining speed is essential to good mpg, everytime you slow down, and then speed up, you use more fuel than maintaining a constant speed

- Despite what you may read, coasting downhill uses less fuel than leaving the clutch engaged and the vehicle in gear.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
- Maintaining speed is essential to good mpg, everytime you slow down, and then speed up, you use more fuel than maintaining a constant speed

I dont believe that one, speeding up slightly down hill with light use of the throttle and easing off up the other side of the hill will produce greater MPG because the engine is working less hard on the difficult up hill and when going down hill to maintain the same speed little throttle is required so using slightly more is less than is used on the flat so still increases the mpg and stops you needing as much throttle coming up the hill.

This method generates over 70mpg in my dads Volvo V70 D5.

The pic below from earlier in the thread reminded me of my temp guage before I fitted a new thermostat. On the motorway it should sit a bar higher than this, mine now gets up to temp very quick and stays there. Even in -4 last week.

This is what i get on the motorway
8252386781_072cfa0e43_c.jpg

Untitled by sbridgey, on Flickr

Having said that, if a slightly leaky thermostat makes much difference to MPG I did not notice it though. My last tank before replacing it got an average of 33 MPG doing mainly a 20 mile B road commute - I am getting 34 MPG now (I floor it quite often so expect I might be able to get more)

Town driving in winter is always going to give poor MPG. The comments about checking what it's like at a 60mph cruise when warm is very valid. This Summer I reset at trip and did 109 miles recording 45.6 mpg (with the old thermostat).

172's seem to be better that 182's but I would say that any car that can't get 40 mpg on a 60 cruise needs something replacing.

Last edited:
  BMW M4; S1000 RR

lol Awesome.

I reset mine on a B road whilst I was doing a gentle 45mph with a warm engine, literally settled at 60mpg after about 7 or 8 miles of driving. Then came a roundabout, did a full throttle start back up to 60 and the mpg dropped to 50ish mpg instantly. My car gets the limiter tickled in 4th at least once a week and I normally average 35.

OP, something is broken for sure, unless you're a retarded driver and just cane it in 1st and 2nd until you have to brake everywhere.

Now Sold :-(
Bit of thread resurrection but I've noticed my average MPG has started to fall over the last couple of months. No change in journey and the car seems to be running fine.
Am going to replace the pre-cat lambda as a precaution. Where do the good people of CS recommend getting one from? Any type/brand to avoid?