ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

220 trophy 0-1000m

Starlet_gt

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T5.1
The 200t and 220 do seem to be getting a bit more popular as the price drops (by me at least) in my village there's mine and one other then I regularly spot another 3 around the place. On par with the fiesta st in my location lol

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Civic type r fk8
I completely understand this...changing gear? Why would you want to do that when an ECU can do it for you more?

Taking that point another step forward...driving a car? Why would you want to do that when an ECU can do it for you?

The autonomous car is almost here...will we defend that as much as we defend automatic gearboxes?

Globally or across Europe, maybe...but in the UK in isolation? Not a chance!!!

I can count on one hand how many I've seen on the road since they day I was on my way to put a deposit down on one and then diverted off to Ford at the last minute!
Yes sales figures for Europe.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I think I see more EDCs than I do 200s so I can't almost believe they've sold more. Almost

Clio 197
Ha those 200T videos make the car look boring as f**k. Zero drama.

Who cares about 0-60 times as long as the delivered in an exciting manner.
Zero drama aka not having to rev the tits off it to get anywhere

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Zero drama aka not having to rev the tits off it to get anywhere

It's probably more to do with the auto gearbox.

The 172, 182 even the 197 and 200 (n/a) look/feel far more exciting even if they're slower round a track.

Civic type r fk8
It's probably more to do with the auto gearbox.

The 172, 182 even the 197 and 200 (n/a) look/feel far more exciting even if they're slower round a track.
Having had a 200 n/a and now and 220 I can see your point the 200 does look at bit more motorsport and a bit more involving, but things have moved on the 200 brakes were not up to much, no torque. I can see the appeal of the n/a engine as I've had a few civic R's aswell as the clio, but after a while especially when going on a long journey it's no fun when all the diesel reps have you off.

RS280EDC
Having had a 200 n/a and now and 220 I can see your point the 200 does look at bit more motorsport and a bit more involving, but things have moved on the 200 brakes were not up to much, no torque. I can see the appeal of the n/a engine as I've had a few civic R's aswell as the clio, but after a while especially when going on a long journey it's no fun when all the diesel reps have you off.
I do agree @Lctr my trips to Belgium and Germany are costing less and less tiring to do in the 220

Evo 5 RS
I lose track of what's fast and what isn't. I used to think my Ph1 was fast at 6.5s, then I drove the GTR / My Evo. "Oh..."

Always bigger fish, eh.

If it feels fast, that's what counts.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
The Mk4 is a completely different car, in many ways to the older generation Clios. It's gone turbo, result, easier power gains and pound for pound against N/A much cheaper.

If you don't like the look or the fact it has rear doors, oh well. I don't know the ins and outs (although economics, costs is a factor) of why it went 4 door but it is.

The tech in the Mk4 is on a different level, reading the brochure and if you choose to believe the PR shpiel. 150 milliseconds gearchanges, RS monitor that changes the steering, throttle response it offers a lot more than the outgoing Clios ever did.

To be honest I could sit here and waffle on about loads of stuff but at the end of the day everyone is different. I bought it for me, I bought because I like the Mk4 shape, I bought it for the colour, the fact that I can be lazy in Auto mode but flip to the paddles and hit RACE mode whenever I like.

2 months on and I'm still getting used to it but personally I think I've made a good choice. For what I've paid plus the map there's not much out there that floats my boat against it, that's my opinion.

Ojc

Clio 220 Trophy, 172
I have a 172 as well as the 220, they are both great fun cars in different ways.

RB Clio 182
Clio IV RS 1.6t stage 4
Turbo Mamba td04h-19t plug&play
Revlimit custom map
complete stock engine
Fmic
Complete Exhaust 64mm
Intake Caí 64mm
310hp @1.65bar

I think that means a different turbo anyway lol.

Clio 220 Trophy 1051
there isn't much difference between old and new clio sport 0-60 mph, but take standard examples of each to a 1/4 mile track and the newer models will be a little quicker.
independent test figures at the end of the video...

clio 200 edc vs clio 182, both standard in a controlled environment, rolling start, drag race.

clio 200 edc vs clio 220 trophy, rolling start drag race.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4TBvdDkywc

so to sum up, 182 comfortably beaten by 200 edc, and 200 edc comfortably beaten by 220 trophy.
But according to some, strangely some 172 / 182's are much quicker than a new 220 trophy.........well they may well be, but not standard against standard.

Besides The new Trophy isn't all about straight line speed, its a track focused car.
How would a standard 172 / 182 fare against a new fiesta st around a lap of a race track.... it would get destroyed by the fiesta, but a new clio 220 Trophy is much faster around a race track than even the newest fiesta st 200.
lap times at the end of video, Trophy vs ST 200.

Civic type r fk8
I think the brakes on your 200 n/a were broken. The 197 I had would hurt your face it could brake so hard!

Did you have it from new?
No was three years old and had 10,000 miles on it ,my Megane 265 was the same .The 220 has more bite to them ,I heard Renault ditched the brembos as they were not good enough and I would agree what's on it now are spot on.

Civic type r fk8
Whats on the edc? Standard single piston calipers? Better than 4 pots?
Yes ,I think it could be the pad material , it's always commented that the meganes brakes naff to.The master cylinder is also bigger on mk4 Clio than the mk3 Clio and meganes.

Last edited:
  RB Clio 182
Everyone upgrades their pads anyway on the mk3, so then they have better calipers and better pads.

It would cost a lot more to get this set up on a mk4.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I suspect your calipers hadn't been serviced properly. The inside pad on the front calipers are known to stick if not stripped and serviced annually.

I think you are the first person I've heard complain that the mk3 brembos weren't great!

Civic type r fk8
I suspect your calipers hadn't been serviced properly. The inside pad on the front calipers are known to stick if not stripped and serviced annually.

I think you are the first person I've heard complain that the mk3 brembos weren't great![/QUOTE

I think you are the first person I've heard complain that the mk3 brembos weren't great!
Maybe, I did have the brake fluid changed to 5.1 and still no better, the megane was the same.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Whats on the edc? Standard single piston calipers? Better than 4 pots?

To be fair it's not just callipers that make up a brake system.

The 200EDC I went in at Brands felt like it was going to do a stoppie the brakes. Not saying they're better or worse than the mk3 but they are very effective.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I think the brakes on your 200 n/a were broken. The 197 I had would hurt your face it could brake so hard!

Did you have it from new?
i had my 61 plate 200 from new and the brakes were never as good as I expected, my 182 on good pads fluid and discs would out brake it no problem. Then I got a 197 with new genuine Renault discs and pads and the brakes were FANTASTIC! night and day compaired to my 200... odd one, never got my head round it, exact same setup!

Clio 182
post anything about a mk4 clio, on any renault forum, a war starts, this and that and so on, lets all stop and agree that my uncles Dacia is better.....5:27 nurburgring times on 91ron.......haha