ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

20vKarlos' - Renault Clio 172 - Track Car Project - Possible Disaster

PH2 172
:grimacing::grimacing:
This will be on the agenda... can I just trace back the manifold vacuum?

Yes, but it`s clearly visable in your pic.
The black plastic pipe running round the top RH engine mount.

Did you unplug the connector mate too, or leave it attached to the lid? Heard EML can come on from it. Although I already have EML from my decat...

To be honest, I can`t remember.
I suspect I just removed the engine bay pipework and left the solenoid connected & secured.
@Louis`

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Great project, and good progress so far. Have you sold any bits you've removed? If so don't forget to subtract that from your spend, it atm adds up and the more you recoup the more you can spend!

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Happy days about getting it running [emoji108]

But Sorry to say as someone has said above even for an Phone camera which just amplifies engine noise that does have the dephaser noise with sounds of it, sounds a hell of a lot noisier when up to temp judging from the two vids as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PH2 172

But Sorry to say as someone has said above even for an Phone camera which just amplifies engine noise that does have the dephaser noise with sounds of it, sounds a hell of a lot noisier when up to temp judging from the two vids as well.

I didn`t hear the classic initial clatter on start up in the 1st vid.
Further investigation required.

I didn`t hear the classic initial clatter on start up in the 1st vid.
Further investigation required.

It's not as loud when accelerator is pressed, when I go back down to the unit, I shall get a cold start video again.

I'm not too worried if it is the Dephaser as it needs a full service anyway, so it shall get sorted rather soon.

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
It's not as loud when accelerator is pressed, when I go back down to the unit, I shall get a cold start video again.

I'm not too worried if it is the Dephaser as it needs a full service anyway, so it shall get sorted rather soon.

Tbh mate in your situation it is probably best to buy a cheap one that needs doing then at least you have the piece of mind of knowing that it's done anyhow, especially with it being a track car it's one less thing to worry about but that noise to me even with a phone recording sounds like dephaser, easy to tell with the difference in sound when the engines cold and then warm [emoji106]

Tbh mate in your situation it is probably best to buy a cheap one that needs doing then at least you have the piece of mind of knowing that it's done anyhow, especially with it being a track car it's one less thing to worry about but that noise to me even with a phone recording sounds like dephaser, easy to tell with the difference in sound when the engines cold and then warm [emoji106

If I'm honest, I was worried it was an internal problem that would've been a "possible disaster" (as the title suggests:tearsofjoy: ) but after a few are quite happy it's Dephaser, I'm not too worried.

I was going to be changing the belts anyway, so this is another reason to get it changed asap :up:

Small update

Parts sold
Interior trim - £5
Xenon Headlight - £25
Front Belts - £10

Total - £40
Total Now Spent - £677

I'm not trying to claw loads of money back from the parts I've taken off the car.
Mainly because most of the plastic trim I've got is worthless as it's all so readily available.
I will only keep a certain amount of parts and what I deem worthless will go in the bin in March.

It turns out, the car has an Aftermarket Exhaust on it already. (I probably should have checked this when I bought it) 😂
I will have a good look at it once I get the car up on stands. I only knew when I started it up, although I'm a little concerned it may be a little too loud for track...we shall see:grin:

So I'd like to apologise to all those that I've either messaged or replied in their thread, regarding exhausts for sale

The Unit

After a long wait, work will start on Wednesday!
So, New blockwork at the front, Roller shutter Door and a pedestrian access too:up:

I won't be buying parts for the Clio until this work is completed, unless the price is too good to miss.

This gives me roughly two weeks to plough money into my 'Track Car' Fund :laughing:

So, three weeks and I should have parts arriving.

Questions

- Now that I've removed the airbags, (steering wheel will go soon) how do I get the light to disappear? I've heard "Resistors" mentioned but I wouldn't know where to start. It's not essential but I'd like to get it away if I can :up:​

Last edited:

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Ive just got some resistors, and will have a go and see if they work under the seat, too. 20 for a £1 off ebay.

Ive just got some resistors, and will have a go and see if they work under the seat, too. 20 for a £1 off ebay.

Plenty of pictures please buddy :up:

I must admit, I did cut both seats out... but I can't remember which side of the plug I cut! 🙈😂

I've still got the seats so I can wire it back in if needs be, but I just wanted them out as the connectors were horrendous to remove

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Not much sure how much luck i will have, and am waiting for weather to warm up. Only off road parking for me, no garage :-(

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Thank you for the offer. Summer here soon, and if not on the track, then i will be tinkering with the car. :)

Offer appreciated tho.

Small Update

Went down the unit at 04:00 this morning to get a couple of bits from the car before work started on the unit...

It looked like this
A2F5DA7A-CB62-4390-9638-20E09FDD169B_zpsdmbsktxi.jpg

Then I went back down 12 hours later and it turns out that work has finally started! :up:

16764CCA-F26E-4D13-911C-58235DEA582C_zpsodllm0e0.jpg

I've also bought an extractor drill bit set, and I'll try that on the isofix seat bolt and see how far I can get with it.

I'll add that to the cost list when I've had more parts arrive. :grinning:

Currently chatting with @George@RTR_Parts and given him my list of wants and needs etc and the brakes will be ordered rather soon. He's been a great help so far and it's also been good for me to see what others are using in terms of Brake setup for track fun in the thread I started in regards to bedding in the pads.

So! With a bit of luck, the front of the unit will be built in a week or so and I'll be able to move forward with the "kitting out" stage. which basically means (fill it full of car parts and other crap)

:stig:​

what brake setup you going for?

Front Brembo HC Discs
Front DS1.11 pads
Rear Renault Discs (with bearings and abs rings)
DS2500 Rear Pads
Goodridge Braided lines
hub nuts
spacers
2 x 1L Supergold Fluid

I know 1 litre of fluid is enough, but I've ordered two litres so I have spare.
I will also be ordering more pads and probably discs after a couple of days on track so that I have spares ready to fit if needs be.

I've gone for DS1.11's based on recommendations and longevity to the discs over the Carbon Lorraine pads, I will report back once I've bed them in and had a couple of days out on track...

Let the purchasing begin :tongueclosed::up:

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
@20vKarlos Do you really think you need ds2500 for the rear?
I have got a bios valve in mine so run a bit more rear brakes and still only use standard brembo rear pads
The ds1.11 front pads are great though

PH2 172
Front Brembo HC Discs
Front DS1.11 pads
Rear Renault Discs (with bearings and abs rings)
DS2500 Rear Pads
Goodridge Braided lines
hub nuts
spacers
2 x 1L Supergold Fluid

I know 1 litre of fluid is enough, but I've ordered two litres so I have spare.
I will also be ordering more pads and probably discs after a couple of days on track so that I have spares ready to fit if needs be.

I've gone for DS1.11's based on recommendations and longevity to the discs over the Carbon Lorraine pads, I will report back once I've bed them in and had a couple of days out on track...

Let the purchasing begin :tongueclosed::up:

You could have put 4 boxes of Swan Vestas on the back.

@20vKarlos Do you really think you need ds2500 for the rear?
I have got a bios valve in mine so run a bit more rear brakes and still only use standard brembo rear pads
The ds1.11 front pads are great though

Everyone has said that I can run standard pads, but I'm going to be doing loads Gymkhana.... I'm not... I just thought that sounded cool 😂
I don't really know why I'm ordering Ds2500's on the rear; I guess I just wanted to be different (overkill):grin:

You could have put 4 boxes of Swan Vestas on the back.

:laughing:😂

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
If you are doing gymkhana and want your handbrake to work then you definitely need standard rear pads, as you won't get the bite from the ds2500 as they won't get hot enough

-
---
-----

Hi guys! It's been a while since I've updated this thread and that has been for one reason... THE UNIT.

Those of you that have seen this thread previously are aware that I've been waiting since NOVEMBER to get the front wall rebuilt on the unit and it's been an absolute nightmare to get it done!

Anyway... here's where we are up to...

8977B655-B10D-4919-BA91-C485C15E4709_zpsit1w1jqx.jpg

So, Over the next week I SHOULD have everything moved in.
I've got a lot of parts that'll be ordered VERY soon and I'm awaiting the Corbeau ClubSports to arrive also (they're delayed until late April).

The car is looking rather sorry for itself at the minute, but I'm hoping by the end of May, we will have a car that'll be ready to see the track. :smile:

So... the pictures to bring you up to date are as follows.....

Trench dug for the new foundation

453F0579-936F-42FA-B19B-B6546A555DBA_zpsgatjxgdw.jpg

0BFAC17E-2515-4763-972A-830589BE778E_zpsjrcj8zz3.jpg

Materials

461C3726-D31A-4C2E-BB92-F1387414BF6B_zpsbsolhhvh.jpg

The builder then went walkies... so things got held up and it took ages to sort. It turns out that he wasn't allowed to dig the trench as it was costing the landlord more money, he told the landlord that he couldn't put two tonnes of blockwork on rubble and it needed a foundation...
He was clearly correct as it clearly needed a foundation but I believe the landlord was seeking a reason to sack him off as he was being paid a day rate, showing up just before midday and clearing off at 4pm.

Anyway... I popped down to the Unit and all of a sudden the foundation had been poured, set and the wall had been started.

09C3CBF4-BF22-4C8A-AD96-C60378714587_zpsu8tal7rs.jpg

9B4E66FF-8199-45E0-9F4D-55EFAB496FD2_zpsbao2rrwm.jpg

Then the ramp was in...

29051D0A-3F2F-498B-98C5-481074E9FF50_zpsbujkwjsz.jpg

Then I didn't go down for a week as there was a delay on the Shutter Door

8977B655-B10D-4919-BA91-C485C15E4709_zpsit1w1jqx.jpg

So, with the exterior all built and only a few things needing doing (exterior painting and rear window realignment), I set about getting the unit cleared inside and getting it tidy, ready for cleaning and painting.

The mess after the builders.
(I'd assumed they would've swept)

9A754EC0-E47E-4B16-AFAA-9A7229F7390F_zpskwgfhnjj.jpg

D95F3075-E68D-4D5A-B335-AB7C0F4A53ED_zpsnvziylxc.jpg

3265F411-5E2A-4492-BEE3-E8B70A53F954_zps8x7eabrd.jpg

84BEAD06-DA8F-4D4B-AE8A-3BCC0ADCD5D0_zpssgdbqwn7.jpg

Once the unit was all swept out, we set about getting the floor as clean as possible...

50177E48-A4E1-4385-9FEB-E4C899A6C702_zpsugiynl1w.jpg

Once that was done it was time to get some paint on the walls...

ABAFEF62-9DF9-458C-8694-9204DCC90944_zpsqh29yafi.jpg

The walls before

22B02ED4-60C1-4935-9963-DBA4BECD59D5_zpsyma3ifgy.jpg

9FFE1707-D711-499B-BD57-DE9D1D00D02A_zpsso8tnhly.jpg

During...

4FC566F3-5FF3-4F82-98B7-C1767847B3DA_zpsabpyfzaw.jpg

... & How I left it on the first night

85831E0D-907C-420A-9A18-BDBECCDF0FDB_zpsiiocvj0g.jpg

89EC48EF-26D7-483E-A1BD-E70565C75B58_zpskvytobvf.jpg

2AAE7D9B-014D-4C02-BEBE-81B8BA45CEC2_zpsktl1b3ij.jpg

That's two coats on the walls and 50% of the floor with one coat.

Day 2...
So.... Equipped with a proper Greasy Dominoes and willingness to get it done... I got 80% of the painting done last night

133A539F-01FE-44A1-AAEC-9C6B663489FB_zpswt1cntxn.jpg

711E0B9B-6E53-4E02-B939-AD24B4C543FA_zpsildqbxim.jpg

2D125CA9-57DE-4460-BBFF-B31E1DAA4E47_zpsg9w2b2ac.jpg

F67E693C-6E6D-4554-A830-147A6613A3CD_zpsggpomdy4.jpg

Then I got REALLY BORED....

1B817D91-3311-45A6-AE31-1F2983B4D702_zpsm8hvbnwh.jpg

& then here's how it was left last night, I left a small walkway so that I could get to the light switch.

7C8B7C0C-DB9F-49D6-985B-4B29A481A6B6_zpsqeirdau5.jpg

I shall post a lot more frequently from now on and hopefully, after this week, it'll be a lot more car related.

I hope you guys all enjoyed this update... there will be plenty more to come shortly.

Whtat's next?
- Finish the painting
- A trip to Costco :smirk: :up:
- Choose LED Lights (Want 7 Strip Lights)
- Run Wire for Sockets
- Get Water & Waste pipe plumbed in/out
- Move everything in :smiley:

LET THE FUN BEGIN :up:

-----
---
-​

Yeah, I meant how much rent is he charging you to pay for all that work. Great place to have, is that a garage next door? Are they friendly enough to lend you tools?

It's £250 a month including water, electricity will be quarterly and a metre is getting fitted shortly.

Two of the other units are garages and are nice blokes, have offered tools and equipment if needs be. I'll have them do the welding on any of my cars.
Another is a car enthusiast with an awesome sized unit and some sweet toys!

There are also a sandwich delivery business there... when they get back after lunch, we get free sandwiches :up:

For the space that I rent, it's a pretty good price. Especially as it has the potential to be a great starting location for a business... if that arises at any point

Love how you thought a builder would clean up after! I can only think of a few times when a builder has cleaned up the mess left behind.

Fair play on your patience. Must be chomping at the bit now to get cracking on the car.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
i'd love a unit but that sort of money, 3000 a year, I could just buy a new trackcar each year as the old one rusts, lol!!!

Love how you thought a builder would clean up after! I can only think of a few times when a builder has cleaned up the mess left behind.

Fair play on your patience. Must be chomping at the bit now to get cracking on the car.

😂 How naive of me... I guess this is a regular thing then 😂

That looks bloody perfect for car stuff

Thanks bud

This is the only reason I was happy to wait for the unit... they just don't come up very often down our way.

i'd love a unit but that sort of money, 3000 a year, I could just buy a new trackcar each year as the old one rusts, lol!!!

This is true, however, I've got lots of projects I want to do in this unit and it opens up the opportunity for a business later down the line if needed

Unit looks spot on!

Thanks bud

As for that total spend... let's just say it keeps rising :up::grimacing:

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Loving the unit, keep looking for one near me but no luck so far! Bet you can't wait to get back working on the car :up:

Small update...

I popped down to the unit this afternoon to see whether the floor had dried out enough for me to move the car.

It was dry and I was happy as it means I can head out to work shortly, then on my way home, I can pop back to the unit and get the rest of the floor painted.

This will then mean that this weekend I should be able to move everything in :smile:

Moved the car to the far side...

This side has two coats of paint :up:
2BBA19FE-535C-4ADC-B098-C74CC06DAAF9_zpskr7ydkb9.jpg

The rest of the floor that needs painting and then a 2nd coat Thursday night/Friday morning..

1CB6F079-5F91-4C0D-8D6C-04A70A7F3926_zpsz1t3md0i.jpg

Then I'll start to take stuff down to the unit on Sunday

:stig::stig:​