ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

205 gti restoration thread

tiTTy & SV650
Project vehicle: 1990 G plate phase 1.5 205 gti 1.9

Well I've had the car for quite a while now! I bought it in October 2007 prior to selling my 182 in order to pay off the 182 which I'd had since new in 2004 and get myself on the property ladder.

I flew to London to get the car having seen it advertised on autotrader, the appeal was it was on about 54k miles and from previous experience (my first car was a 205gti) I knew I could make my money back or even sell it for more later.

The original pics:

Peugeot004.jpg

Peugeot003.jpg

Peugeot002.jpg

Peugeot001.jpg

Looked reasonable enough in the pics I thought but when I got to London I was a bit disappointed! So I give it a once over and a test drive and negotiated about 25% off the price on the basis it needed new bumper plastics and I'd be getting the timing belt done as he couldn't tell me when it had last been done.

So I did the deal and bought it at the reduced price and drove it back to Glasgow at about 50mph up the M1 then across to the M6 getting home about 4am lol but I was taking it easy hoping it'd make it home, the aux belt looked a bit dodgy!

I got to work on it straight away claying and polishing and cleaning and waxing, the paint was yellowy green due to sitting in a leafy London driveway relatively unused for 3 years. It needed some serious TLC!

These pics show the contrast before and after claying:

DSC00845.jpg

The LHS is clayed the rest isn't

It was more noticeable to the naked eye!

I got the car booked in for water pump and timing belt to give me piece of mind.

Then my 182 sold and the Pug became my daily runner! so I was keen to get it tidied up pretty quickly before I found a flat. My commute from my folks wasn't far at all so it wasn't a big deal really.

As a matter of course I replaced the air filter, fuel filter, dizzy cap, ht leads, spark plugs and did an oil change.

I even made a journey to Rugby to pick up some doors, a tailgate, an air flow meter and a 2.8 V6 Turbo Technics Capri... (but the Capri is a different story!)

I spent my weekends working on the car if the weather permitted, changing the bumper plastics front and back:

oldbumperoff.jpg

newbumperon.jpg

DSC01179.jpg

DSC01183.jpg

DSC01181.jpg

DSC01185.jpg

I got a text one day from Iain who was running a 106xsi at the time asking if I wanted to go for a drive, at the time I was on my folks driveway with the car in bits:

DSC01214.jpg

DSC01213.jpg

But it was a nice day and this motivated me to get the car back together and go for a wee blast, so I got the new bumper on and the trim etc ready just as Iain arrived and we headed for the hills:

k800forsale002.jpg

k800forsale001.jpg

DSC01221.jpg

The car was handling pretty badly with a mixed bag of tyres with varying levels of tread and different sizes let alone tread patterns and the brakes were woeful

So I decided it was time for new discs and pads all round and bought myself a spare set of Speedlines from ebay to refurb and then get some fresh tyres on.

I bought a flat in March 2008 which kind of threw the whole Pug project but nonetheless I got the wheels refurbed and popped 4 PE2's on for good measure, this changed the car completely making for a lot of fun in dry and wet a lot more confidence inspiring to say the least.

Work on the car ground to a halt, I used the car as a daily runner right through winter 2007 winter 2008. The car let me down once in over a years motoring when the gear linkage popped off leaving me stuck in a gear between 3rd and 5th and having to slip the clutch to get me to safety! So that was fixed the next day. and all was well again.

The pug was looking reasonably healthy and going pretty well but wasn't where I wanted it to be, here's how she looked in September 2008:

DSC01886.jpg

DSC01884.jpg

DSC01882.jpg

DSC01885.jpg

Then I bought myself a mk2 172 for a bit of refinement in Feb / March 09 from a certain Mr AJR:

DSC02169.jpg

With the arrival of the 172 I stopped using the Pug and I love the shape and style of 205gti's so I cringed when I saw it sitting there unused, I didn't want an unfinished project!

DSC02179.jpg

It sat feeling sorry for itself outside the flat for 3 months!

Until last Saturday that is when I dropped a new battery in and took it for a blast to blow the cobwebs out.

And basically this is the start of the project thread, tomorrow I'm going to be doing a bit of work on it and will do more over the weekend and post update pics here.

Plans: new lockset, new tailgate (old one is dented), new doors (I have spares), bit of paint to tidy up some stone chips, replace oil cooler to end an irritating oil leak and I'll be detailing the car thoroughly inside and out. In the 18 months or so I've owned it I've never hoovered or cleaned the interior lol :eek:

I think tomorrow will be an interior detail and leather restoration.

Watch this space....

Last edited:

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
This is the longest someone has owned one of my car without wrapping it! (Tempting fate by sayin that)

Pug looks cool.

tiTTy & SV650
LOL Ali no plans to wrap it, the Clio will get new shocks and Sportlines and a will eventually earn some PE2's and I think it needs ARB bushes as the front likes to step out but it's all fun!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Sounds good. I'd be lookin at cup splitters and spoilers too! :) Std wheels are nice!

tiTTy & SV650
Oh the Pug is now 19 years old and on 62k miles :eek:

And the 172 is now 6.5 years old and on 57k miles :lolup:

tiTTy & SV650
Pug looks epic mate. Hopefully see it in the metal?? ;)

Could bring it through to pick up those Sportlines in a week or 2 maybe! see what sort of state it's in before I make any promises lol

I had it at the Falkland RR meet, I'll bring it to a meet when it's looking healthier again before I punt it.

tiTTy & SV650
getting some medium clay from Alan in the morning too, will see what sort of results that has!

172 Race Car
Amazing cars, Wish id owned one by now. Came close to buying one that needed some tlc but was out bid by a tenner. Will be keeping an eye on this thread and I wish you all the bet with it. Had a poster of a white 1.9 on my wall when was in my early teens. Had a 1.4 205 for my first car but never made the upgrade.

1990 FFS that's when i was born lol!

Keep us updated :)!
Makes me feel old, see above :(

ITB'd MK1
Amazing cars, Wish id owned one by now. Came close to buying one that needed some tlc but was out bid by a tenner. Will be keeping an eye on this thread and I wish you all the bet with it. Had a poster of a white 1.9 on my wall when was in my early teens. Had a 1.4 205 for my first car but never made the upgrade
want my miami blue 1.6?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Car look amazing mate, there is a dark grey one near me and i stare at it every time i pass, think i'll have to own one at some point!!! Easy cars to work on?

tiTTy & SV650
Amazing cars, Wish id owned one by now. Came close to buying one that needed some tlc but was out bid by a tenner. Will be keeping an eye on this thread and I wish you all the bet with it. Had a poster of a white 1.9 on my wall when was in my early teens. Had a 1.4 205 for my first car but never made the upgrade.

Makes me feel old, see above :(

Lol cheers, I wanted a 205 in Miami blue since I was 10, took 11 years but I got a 1.6 when I was 21:

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

In fact my car ownership has gone 205gti, 182, 205gti, 172 and every time I've had two cars for quite some time in the transition period!

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Nicest 205 I have seen

Looks very smart in white

Any pictures of the interior ?

tiTTy & SV650
Car look amazing mate, there is a dark grey one near me and i stare at it every time i pass, think i'll have to own one at some point!!! Easy cars to work on?

Cheers, Graphite grey is tasty my mate had a 1.4 XS in that colour about 8 years ago.
A lot of the gti's you see and think are dark grey / black are actually Sorrento green:

19sorrento033.jpg

But you can't see the green on a dull day!

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
I want another one now!

205.jpg

Apologies for the crap pic and dodgy pose. I was a proud 19 year old lad when I had mine.

tiTTy & SV650
Nicest 205 I have seen

Looks very smart in white

Any pictures of the interior ?

Cheers, only pic of the interior is from 2007:

Peugeot005.jpg

I've not cleaned or hoovered it before now, so will get some before and after pics shortly when I'm at my folks working on it.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
My uncle used to have a red 1.9 when I was little, still up there with my favourite cars.

I'd have one if I didn't do so many miles.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Ths thread makes me wanna get off my ass and actually finish off doing mine :eek:

Just a turbo lump and god knows how many parts stored up over the last year to fit :S

DSC002272.jpg

ST1050, 320d
im getting one of these in 8 days hopefully, 1.9 in graphite grey. was thinking about refurbing the wheels white like that ^^

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Nah on a graphite dark wheels are too much I recon...

DSC000053.jpg

Sorry will stop spamming your thread :eek:

ST1050, 320d
OP- also could think about fitting the newer lights? i think they look good but thats just my opinion of course

tiTTy & SV650
I'm leaving it standard, orange indicators and phase 1 tail lights - phase 2 looked better but still keeping it standard.

Did the interior yesterday:

DSC02395.jpg

DSC02396.jpg

DSC02387.jpg

DSC02388.jpg

DSC02391.jpg

Cleaned all the interior plastics and glass, dusted and hoovered everything, cleaned and fed the leather, filled some cracks in the leather, shampoo'd the carpets and hoovered it all again.

tiTTy & SV650
And today I let loose with Sonus Grey (medium) clay which I got from Alan yesterday, I'd clayed and scratch x'd and paint cleansed etc previously but the Sonus Grey is outstanding!

There were some really stubborn bits like around the rear window glass and around the sunroof runners.

Rear window before:

DSC02397.jpg

After:

DSC02398.jpg

Sunroof before:

DSC02400.jpg

After:

DSC02399.jpg

And gave it a quick wash before I left for good measure.

DSC02401.jpg

DSC02402.jpg

DSC02404.jpg

DSC02405.jpg