ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2001 - 2005 Clio dci

Megane coupe 1.6 16v
Hi guys,

Im thinking about getting a clio dci (80bhp).

Whats the general consensus about these on here? How reliable are they?

Obviously the things attracting me are the £200 insurance, £35 tax and 70mpg on the run!!!

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Hi coupedean,

My mrs has a dci 65 which she's had from brand new. It's on a 54 plate and has covered over 63,000 with not a single problem. I think they're great little cars and wouldn't hesitate in buying another.

cheers stu

Megane coupe 1.6 16v
Cheers for that 182boogaloo :)

Mark, ive read and been advised the 100bhp has a dodgy box? Also there are hardly any about.

Im all about cheap motoring for a bit, i can deal with 80bhp haha

CB600FS
Depends what your after, the 100s box isn't great to use, best suited to motorway cruising work really, its doubtfull you'll find one anyway. If you munch motorway miles and aren't bothered about keeping with 1.6 Clios get a 65, you won't struggle to find one either. If your after 70mpg+ and want to keep with 1.6 Clios's, get a 80, if you want to get past 1.6s, get 80 with a remap. *stir stir* ;)

As for reliability, mines done 82K and hasn't had any major problems, as in pump, injectors, turbo - and it gets driven hard, you'll start to clog injectors/EGR valve if you drive like Ms Daisy. Get it serviced every 18k but change the oil as often as you can, ideally every 9k between the services and you won't go far wrong.

Michael - to be fair, 75 Bhp in a petrol Clio isn't great, but a 65 Bhp diesel would be all over you, let alone an 80.

Megane coupe 1.6 16v
Unlucky ;)

The coupe was my first car and thats quite nippy tbh. Twice as fast as a brand new 1.6 focus anyways. (They are awful btw).

I quite fancy a little clio now, I think it will do the job i need it to really well. I will be putting about 25k a year on it for 2 or 3 years.

I wanted to avoid french cars again but tbh mine aint been that bad, 45k in 2 and 1/2 years and ive only had a wheel bearing, air con and a dodgy one touch window i fixed myself.

Megane coupe 1.6 16v
Depends what your after, the 100s box isn't great to use, best suited to motorway cruising work really, its doubtfull you'll find one anyway. If you munch motorway miles and aren't bothered about keeping with 1.6 Clios get a 65, you won't struggle to find one either. If your after 70mpg+ and want to keep with 1.6 Clios's, get a 80, if you want to get past 1.6s, get 80 with a remap. *stir stir* ;)

As for reliability, mines done 82K and hasn't had any major problems, as in pump, injectors, turbo - and it gets driven hard, you'll start to clog injectors/EGR valve if you drive like Ms Daisy. Get it serviced every 18k but change the oil as often as you can, ideally every 9k between the services and you won't go far wrong.

Michael - to be fair, 75 Bhp in a petrol Clio isn't great, but a 65 Bhp diesel would be all over you, let alone an 80.

Good stuff :)

Yea i will look after it well, i have a mechanic friend. Mine gets a full service every 6 months and new 0w-30 every 3. Its had the belts done 3 times in 65k :lol:

Il think il go for the 80 tbh, its no more tax, a few quid more insurance and the same on fuel really as far as i can see.

1.5dci65 Dyn/Billabong
Newbie round here lol I've had mine since Jan 05, its a 53 reg 1.5dci (Billabong, rear spoiler, sports badges, etc) had no probs apart from makin sure regular oil changes are done. Rear driver side wheel bearing went but thats easy enuf to get done, does great on mileage and £35 a year for tax, can't go wrong!

get the 100bhp and map it
I along with a few others don't rate the box itsn not nice to use.

jesus i couldnt live with it. Ive got a 75bhp petrol 1.2 and its driving me besserk.
a 65 is about as quick as a 1.2 you'd be superised it feels at lower rpm like a 1.6 or so.
Il think il go for the 80 tbh, its no more tax, a few quid more insurance and the same on fuel really as far as i can see.

Usualy the 80 a bit better on fuel as its slightly longer geared nothging huge though. They do get a premium though price wise.

Megane coupe 1.6 16v
Cheers everyone, much appreciated.

Just going to save the difference between my coupe and a nice spec'd 2004-2005 model in the next couple of months and then bring on the cheap motoring :)

Burgandy 174 sport t
My dci (65) new out the box at 2k decided to blow up, Aux belt was missaligned from new and was slowly shredding itself and eventually bits were caught in the timing belt and erm made a mess.

At about 10k the turbo went and about 12k the clutch fell apart, although I wasnt very nice to it lol

All in all I kicked its hole in for 2 yrs and 40k and nothing else really went wrong, loved that wee motor!!

My dci (65) new out the box at 2k decided to blow up, Aux belt was missaligned from new and was slowly shredding itself and eventually bits were caught in the timing belt and erm made a mess.

At about 10k the turbo went and about 12k the clutch fell apart, although I wasnt very nice to it lol

Does depend though I've done 92k and clutch and turbo are ok and I drive mine a bit to hard realy all the time.

Megane coupe 1.6 16v
Id hope for more than that on the run tbh.

My 1.6 16v does near on 50mpg at 70mph.

The main journey is essex to surrey which is 85 miles, 82 of that is duel or motorway.

CB600FS
At a constant 56mph the 65Bhp will do over 100 mpg - or so Auto Car or whoever it was tested it to, if you could bear it with the lorries in the slow lane. I've had 76.6mpg but got bored after a while.

I've done 66mpg (might have been a bit over) at 80 indicteda (75 in realy life with the wrong sized tyres I've got on)

Meg on pistonheads £6995
Mine's an 80 (re-mapped to 110bhp and 172lb/ft with a K&N)

Still does 60mpg EASILY, 70 on a run

MUCH MUCH quicker than factory dCi100 (only 96bhp and 140lb/ft)

^ ^ driven back-to-back and side to side until it disappeared in my rear view

GPS'd at 122mph, 0-60 in 9.4 and 7.5secs from 50-70 in top
(factory dCi80 is 109mph, 11.6 and 9)

To prove the point I've recently driven a 197, Meg GT dCi 150 and Civic CDTi 2.2 to find a replacement

Meg was closest, but none of them felt significantly quicker (certainly mid-range under 90mph)

still got Clio :)

Meg on pistonheads £6995
P.S: 51K on the clock and not a prob., even lowered 40mm on 17s

I was convinced the standard shocks would go, but 40K lowered still fine!

Megane coupe 1.6 16v
Gona be a fair bit slower than mine by the sounds of it but i dont care.

Going to have a go in one next week.

CB600FS
82K with standard suspension, snapped spring on the back I can't be bothered to sort, strut tops are noisey now aswell.

Megane coupe 1.6 16v
Got a test drive in a 2005 80 initial or something tomorrow :)

Like i mentioned my car does near on 50mpg at 80mph so i have no doubt il get one of these doing 70 +

clio dci80
Hi,
im thinking about gettin a 1.5dci 80 Billabong, but im worried it'll be sluggish on the ol accelleration. Whats anyones views on the accelleration for this car?
What would u say the equivalent would be in a petrol?

CB600FS
0-60 isn't great, but pulling from say 50 - 100 is good, just plant it in 4th and your away. A well driven 80bhp can keep with a 1.6 16v Clio.

CB600FS
The 172/182s (depending on mods obviously) can do 40mpg on a run, so thats about right for a 1.6 Megane I'd say.