ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1994 172'd Mk1 Valver Track Car

TrackCar & F30 330d
wow i cant belive how light the rear end is. I thought you had hoisted it up or somthing.

It does look a bit sad now everything is out of it.

Onwards and upwards though :)

BMW M5 & E36
Yesterday I did 350 miles in the daily Valver and made a few collections. First was a pair of doors. They happen to be off a Cup Racer for added coolness. The reasoning behind having another pair is that my current doors look like this:

IMG_2235.jpg

Now in the summer I'm more than likely going to the Nurburgring for 10 days or so, and fixed windows in the old doors would be a royal pain in the arse. So the Cup doors have the inner skin intact, glass windows and manual winders which should provide a bit more comfort for the road trips. Will use the old ones as trackday doors with the plastic windows still. Obviously the new ones will need painting to suit.

09012010961.jpg

Took them home, had a bite to eat and then off I headed to Manchester with a bootful of engine bits for AdamAnderton.

I returned with:

10012010962.jpg

And

10012010967.jpg

Thats 18m of 45mm CDS rollcage tubing and my FK Konigsport coilovers that f0xy kindly got machined for me to accept 172 hub bolts.

BMW M5 & E36
Motivation seems to have returned a little, I've spent 2 whole hours in the garage tonight!!

Tidied up AGAIN, I'm useless at keeping the place clean. Now I have enough room to work again and hopefully crack on with some grinding this week.

My new air sander also turned up in the post the other day, so I had to have a little play with that....

10012010970.jpg

No going back now :eek:

BMW M5 & E36
You selling the billies? or they narked?

The allen headed part at the top of the shocks are fooked, but the nuts came off no problem with a windy gun.

I've had someone else ask about them, so if he doesnt want them then they'll be available :)

1.4 clio s maxim
cool wee car. i have a 1.4 mk1 8v and its identical to ur car when you first bought it. looking to put 172 engine in it. did you use a 172 gearbox and what wiring loom did you use? you seem to no your stuff so do you think it would be easy to put a 172 engine into a 1.4 ? only new to clios as you can probably tell.

Wiring = Easy, especially when my wiring diagram/guide is used! Its worked for a good few people now... not sure whos still got a copy though.

172 Box can be used (Although the chassis mount has to be modified), but Mk1 (Valver or Williams) box is easier as the mount bolts straight up.

BMW M5 & E36
cool wee car. i have a 1.4 mk1 8v and its identical to ur car when you first bought it. looking to put 172 engine in it. did you use a 172 gearbox and what wiring loom did you use? you seem to no your stuff so do you think it would be easy to put a 172 engine into a 1.4 ? only new to clios as you can probably tell.

1.8 16v Gearbox. Any JB/JC box can be used though as long as it has a speedo drive output.

Loom is a mixture of 172 and valver, DIY job.

Easy? Depends how good with spanners and a multimeter you are.

1.4 clio s maxim
Wiring = Easy, especially when my wiring diagram/guide is used! Its worked for a good few people now... not sure whos still got a copy though.

172 Box can be used (Although he mount has to be modified), but Mk1 (Valver or Williams) box is easier as the mount bolts straight up.
wheres this wiring diagram/guide at ? much need done to the mk1 shell to handle the engine ? iv very little knowledge about these cars but im inlove with my one already

1.4 clio s maxim
1.8 16v Gearbox. Any JB/JC box can be used though as long as it has a speedo drive output.

Loom is a mixture of 172 and valver, DIY job.

Easy? Depends how good with spanners and a multimeter you are.
sorry what do you mean by jb box? im almost 100% it wont be me fitting the engine as i dont have the no how in that area and wudnt want to screw it up.

BMW M5 & E36
May I suggest doing ALOT more research first then. It's not the easiest of swaps. And without being rude, this is my thread :D

1.4 clio s maxim
May I suggest doing ALOT more research first then. It's not the easiest of swaps. And without being rude, this is my thread :D
yea this is research right now but sorry for hijacking. thanks for the info. if you dont mind if i start up a thread about this if ud let me no some of the main pointers. If not thats no problem thanks.

BMW M5 & E36
A little bit more to report.

I've spent what seems like forever cutting out and starting to replace the footplates for my cage. It's massively tedious work and I'm not the best equipped for metalwork either, so upto now it's been a case of 'cutting something, trying it, bashing with a hammer over my vice, cut a little more here, hit it again and that'll do'.

I'm making outer skins to patch the chassis and to form a more solid base for me to mount the new box sections on, whereas before the lame OMP 'footplates' were welded straight onto the chassis. This is why I now have various holes to try and fill in/cover up.

This is the middle off the car, bottom of where the main hoop will sit. As you can see, it's a bit of a state having cut the old box's out

IMG_3431.jpg

Numerous hours later I had these made up. Some of the bends I had to make with my grinder and hammer were a little difficult

IMG_3432.jpg

They sit (quite nicely :D) in here:

IMG_3433.jpg

IMG_3434.jpg

Likewise for the N/S:

IMG_3436.jpg

I've only got as far as cutting one of the old front box's out upto now, so made a start on plating that corner. Old removed:

IMG_3437.jpg

These are the sorts of bends I'm having to make. It's easy enough putting a simple crease in to follow the sill, but when it also needs to go the other way at the same time it's a bit awkward:

IMG_3439.jpg

That goes in here:

IMG_3438.jpg

Had a slight tidy up inside as grinding dust was getting a bit much..

IMG_3441.jpg

New Ph1 172 JC5 089 gearbox to replace my crunching Valver JB3 048.

IMG_3442.jpg

Another pair of driveshafts. I've had a knocking sound on heavy right hand cornering for most of the past year, which ive narrowed down to being the shafts so hopefully these will cure it. I'll also looking into refurbing the old ones as spares.

IMG_3443.jpg

Complete Ph1 172 dashboard with wheel/column/airbags etc etc. I only need the connections for the speedo clocks from this so the rest will be sold/scrapped. I forgot to photo the clocks:

IMG_3444.jpg

Ph1 172 OZ F1 wheels with 4 odd ditchfinders on. Unsure whether I'll keep these yet, or put them on the daily Valver when I sell that in a couple of months

IMG_3445.jpg

I also had a slight mishap with my extension reel. It didnt like two fan heaters and a grinder all being connected to it. 2005-2010, it's done me well :(

IMG_3446.jpg

Chris

BMW M5 & E36
Yep, 172 clocks when it's back together. Also does away with the speedo cable which will help clearance for a bulkhead bar in my cage:

IMG_3452.jpg

BMW M5 & E36
I've also gained these small components :headno:.

IMG_3451.jpg

Keep an eye out for sale shortly, I don't think I'll be keeping them, change of plan.